JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A dozen heavily armed Eugene Police Officers responded Tuesday to a report of a man carrying a black colored rifle in a sling near an office complex.

When they arrived, all they discovered was a local freelance videographer, who had been hired to record some video at the office building. The man was carrying a large professional tripod for his video camera, in a special cloth carrying case, slung over his shoulder. Apparently one of the black legs of the tripod may have been visible, and from a distance, was imagined to have been a rifle barrel.

Police said they knew early on in the investigation that it was nothing, once they spoke to the videographer. But they said that they still wanted to take the report seriously, and make sure everyone was safe. So they kept the building under a strict lockdown for a full hour, until they had completed a thorough search, and had gone through every room in the building.

Camera tripod mistaken for rifle at Eugene office building

My goodness, just how strong is gun paranoia becoming these days???

hoplophobia-fear-guns.jpg

Last Edited:
Seems that in Eugene, it's now got to the point of allowing police to search an entire office building without warrants because they say an un-identified "witness" thought a tripod was a rifle....
….. and even if it was a rifle, it would have been perfectly legal to have anyway.

Last Edited:
I hope it at least fired ISO200.
It's Eugene. Used to be a conservative town, IMO.
I need an Assault Ornament (Jack) for my FJ80. Soon, the BATFE will have the classification for AHO and AOJ or ATLLAG (anything that looks like a gun).

Actually if you look at this situation perversely, those azzhats who called the Politzi got exactly what they deserved, a full lock down and a jackbooted search of the premises and probably serious questioning at gunpoint, and an hour of mortal fear over nothing what so ever! Way to go people, way to go! I say good job to the Popo in Youjeen, at least they took it serious and did the job they are paid to do! Portland's Mayor and city counsel would have gone full stupid and got folks hurt or worse, Offended in having a kidd glove investigation from a distance!

A dozen heavily armed Eugene Police Officers responded Tuesday to a report of a man carrying a black colored rifle in a sling near an office complex.

When they arrived, all they discovered was a local freelance videographer, who had been hired to record some video at the office building. The man was carrying a large professional tripod for his video camera, in a special cloth carrying case, slung over his shoulder. Apparently one of the black legs of the tripod may have been visible, and from a distance, was imagined to have been a rifle barrel.

Police said they knew early on in the investigation that it was nothing, once they spoke to the videographer. But they said that they still wanted to take the report seriously, and make sure everyone was safe. So they kept the building under a strict lockdown for a full hour, until they had completed a thorough search, and had gone through every room in the building.

Camera tripod mistaken for rifle at Eugene office building

My goodness, just how strong is gun paranoia becoming these days???

View attachment 496415
Perhaps they just wanted the practice drill?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top