JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also have a very large video tripod with case. Anyone that thinks it is a rifle is an idiot! It is both heavier and larger than a rifle, unless you are thinking of a tripod sub-machine gun. Maybe I should take a walk through Seattle next summer. (I'm indisposed right now.)

Meanwhile,on the other side of town, robbers made off with 100's of thousands in a bank robbery that police couldn't get to quick enough (it's satire, it didn't really take place). I suppose the next petition going around will be for: Banning anything that could resemble a rifle in public.

2017-09-14-21-22-57-.jpg

Like I said. Call me anti, crucify me if you like.

I'm honest, and I'll tell you right now if my radar was going off and I saw something like this. I'd call it in.

Well, but I think that a big part of this, is just how unfamiliar many people are with guns.

This is what the tripod bag looked like. Are you really sure, if you saw something like this, that you would call this in to police?

tripod0_162687.jpg
Would that be reasonable to do? And honestly, should the first step be to call 911? The person should make no effort to determine if there really is any danger? Does a person have no responsibility at all, regarding whether they are giving the police accurate information or not??

This case reminds me of that North Miami incident that took place two years ago, where a mental health center caretaker, who was looking after an autistic man, was shot by police. The disabled man had wandered from the center, carrying a small yellow plastic toy truck. A witness saw the man behaving strangely, and mistook the toy truck for being a handgun.

This is what prompted the call to 911, of an armed man:

6410317116518.jpg

Police then arrived on the scene, and fearful due to the report they received of an armed man, they mistakenly shot the caretaker, who was not even the one that was holding the toy. He had nothing in his hands.

So an innocent man ends up getting shot 3 times with an AR, all because police were on edge, due to someone believing that a toy truck was a handgun.

Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

It is normal, customary, and necessary for military/security personnel in Israel to carry rifles around in public.
It is not normal, customary or necessary for civilians in the USA to carry rifles around in public (with obvious exceptions for hunting, transporting to a range or gun shop etc.)
While I staunchly support a person's First and Second Amendment rights to openly carry for the purposes of self defense or to make a political statement, I also believe that in most situations it is an unwise choice to make and that, given the recent history of mass shootings in this country, I am entitled to have the opinion that anyone who parades around at the mall or in front of a school with an AR-15 on their back is kind of being an arse hole.

The photos are NOT all of military and/or security personnel. And all were not photos taken in Israel. IIRC one of those photos was taken in an American store.

Customary in the USA.....LOL. In some states......open carry is the only way that being armed is allowed while in public. The liberals there have deemed that it is better to see what's coming. Then, in some states........only CCW is allowed. The liberals there have deemed that not seeing a firearm is better. As it's less likely to scare someone.

Well....which LIBERAL is RIGHT? IF that, is even possible?

Yes, I personally don't intend or want to open carry while visiting Portland, OR. However, if the law allows only a certain method of carry.........then, it's that person's choice to do so.

Who am I to judge his/her mental state of mind, if there is no threat at the moment? Who do you suspect is the more dangerous one?

The guy on the street corner shouting and talking trash to himself (or maybe the world)? Or the guy with a rifle slung over his shoulder (assuming open carry is the law) standing in line for a smoothie?

Aloha, Mark

PS....For the record, I am not questioning your right to call someone else an ________ because you don't like his method of carry.

Last Edited:
Customary in the USA.....LOL. In some states......open carry is the only way that being armed is allowed while in public. The liberals there have deemed that it is better to see what's coming.

The better for the liberals to call the police and harass the legal gun owner and make them suffer. :rolleyes::mad:
Seriously though, how often do we hear anecdotal stories of people calling the cops on a man carrying a gun legally, and that person gets detained and searched? So often that there is in fact a whole movement to stop the "Terry stops" and the reason for "don't talk to the police" thing :mad:

And then we have states like CA where getting a concealed license is very difficult if not outright impossible..
The point is that while the two stances seems contradictionary, they are conplementary in making it as difficult for joe citizen as possible to be armed out in public.

IMHO, it's better to......NOT to infringe on rights. Asking for a license (or permission first) is = to the 2nd A not being a RIGHT.

What if......

You had to get a lic. before you were allowed to attend a church of your choice?
You had to get a lic. before you were allowed to voice a different political view?
You had to get a lic. before you were allowed to publish your different political point of view?
Etc.....

Oh well.....I'm an NRA Member. And soon, if the LIBERALS get/have their way, the NRA will be labeled as a Hate Group or a Terrorist Network. Then, I'll really be in trouble. Probably, the FBI will be after me. Rrrright, the membership list.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I am of the same opinion, that people have certain rights that the govt does not have a duty to restrict. But leftists and statists are of the opinion that people have no rights except whats granted by the State:mad:

Following the Federalist papers; government is supposed to protect the rights of the people... but that just has not been true for a long time

Seriously though, how often do we hear anecdotal stories of people calling the cops on a man carrying a gun legally, and that person gets detained and searched? So often that there is in fact a whole movement to stop the "Terry stops" and the reason for "don't talk to the police" thing :mad:

We have a lot of problems in society.

Check.

For the record.....trolling the cops is not my idea of fun. Nor do I think that it's a good social experiment, when real firearms are used. You never know.....someone could have gotten shot/hurt.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
One time a coworker at an office brought a rifle (uncased) that I'd been asking about and considering buying. Bolt closed.

Business in question had nothing to do with firearms.

Not illegal. No one batted an eye.

We're going mighty soft if just the sight of a firearm is cause for suspicion.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

We're going mighty soft if just the sight of a firearm is cause for suspicion.

Actually, it is much worse than that, when a black cloth carrying case designed for camera tripods, is mistaken for being a rifle carrying case.

I suppose one way to never cause public alarm would be to carry your gun in a guitar case, with some stickers on it like these:

Gun_Guitar_Case_To_Love.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads