JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't trying to suggest all Tea Partier's are racist and I apologize to anyone who took my comment that way. However, that movement has a mostly undeserved reputation that direction and a good way to counteract that would be to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to high profile convicted violent racists who want to help out. For instance, I have several times gotten letters from rather deranged prisoners convicted of gun crimes who want to contribute articles to my magazine. That's not an angle I feel comfortable promoting so I say no thanks.

Why are you in contact with several deranged prisoners convicted of gun crimes?
It sounds like perhaps, you have made some poor life choices.

If I were you, I'd be more discerning about who I associate myself with. Those types of people can do nothing but drag you down.

I wasn't trying to suggest all Tea Partier's are racist and I apologize to anyone who took my comment that way. However, that movement has a mostly undeserved reputation that direction and a good way to counteract that would be to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to high profile convicted violent racists who want to help out. For instance, I have several times gotten letters from rather deranged prisoners convicted of gun crimes who want to contribute articles to my magazine. That's not an angle I feel comfortable promoting so I say no thanks.

Hmmmm, how about Obummer's friend William Charles "Bill" Ayers ?

As others have stated, downtown Portland is pretty safe and sedate compared to most major cities in the US.

When i first moved to OR from So-Cal, i lived in Medford for Two years or so. When i decided to move to the Portland area, my friends and coworkers told me Portland was just like L.A! After exploring the PMA, I concluded, my friends and coworkers from So-Or have never been to Portland and or L.A.

AGCR, Could you please explain why, if a black man is assaulted in a white neighborhood, it was racial! But if a white man is assaulted in a black neighborhood, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Isn't assault, assault?

Thanks in advance! Lefty.

Why are you in contact with several deranged prisoners convicted of gun crimes?
It sounds like perhaps, you have made some poor life choices.

If I were you, I'd be more discerning about who I associate myself with. Those types of people can do nothing but drag you down.

Actually it's kinda interesting. A radical right wing paper called The Soverign took a liking to my magazine and their editor started giving me free ad space. I don't know why, they're all about "climate change doesn't exist" and "Obama is the cloned descendant of an Egyptian king sent to enslave America" but ever since I've getting letters from people wanting to tell me all about how they were fighting the communist conspiracy by robbing banks and now they're political prisoners sent up on firearm charges. I find them very intreguing but don't see the point of giving them a soapbox to talk about how much they like the 2A.

As others have stated, downtown Portland is pretty safe and sedate compared to most major cities in the US.

When i first moved to OR from So-Cal, i lived in Medford for Two years or so. When i decided to move to the Portland area, my friends and coworkers told me Portland was just like L.A! After exploring the PMA, I concluded, my friends and coworkers from So-Or have never been to Portland and or L.A.

AGCR, Could you please explain why, if a black man is assaulted in a white neighborhood, it was racial! But if a white man is assaulted in a black neighborhood, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Isn't assault, assault?

Thanks in advance! Lefty.

Assault is certainly assault and race can be a motivation as much as anything. What you observe is the natural overreaction against centuries of US culture where blacks who wandered or moved into the wrong neighborhood could be shot, hanged or burned alive. That's just the brief answer to a pretty big subject.

Assault is certainly assault and race can be a motivation as much as anything. What you observe is the natural overreaction against centuries of US culture where blacks who wandered or moved into the wrong neighborhood could be shot, hanged or burned alive. That's just the brief answer to a pretty big subject.

I agree! But the subject needs to be addressed! We are in 2011. We as a Country, can not move forward if we just keep making excuses!

We should probably move this debate to another thread/forum.

To the OP, 3rd and Pine has drug dealers and hookers. Just an FYI.

Lefty.

To the OP, 3rd and Pine has drug dealers and hookers. Just an FYI.
I might have to spend some time there to "conduct some research".:s0114:

I've never felt scared downtown. I've walked from the Pearl back across the bridges in SE after midnight. Had one guy inform me my lighter wasn't "hot enough" after he borrowed it.:s0092: It seemed seemed to light tobacco fine.:s0112::s0112:

I don't go to places I know are bad that is just stupid and looking for trouble. I carry always because you never know for sure. **** I have lived in one place for 27 years with no real problems until the last year of so. With beatings outside banks, car jacking, and even a couple random walk up to a house and shoot whoever opens the door situations, and I live somewhere way smaller then Portland. I never carry because I think I need it, and I don't knowingly put myself in places I would but I carry because nowhere is truly safe.

I live in the Pearl District of downtown Portland. It's been a pretty decent neighborhood, with no real problems. Well, a few nights ago I was walking to Safeway on my own (two blocks from where I live) and walked up on two younger males. Both were dressed very "thug" like but I was taught to walk confident and I shouldn't have a problem. I noticed one of them looked back at me when he heard my heels walking close and notified his friend. They started to show waaay down as for me to catch up to them. I quicky crossed the street and walked fast into Safeway. As I was shopping they came down the same aisle and said "Hey Lady". I ignored them and went on my way.

I know this doesn't seem like much, but this is one of my reasons for getting my CHL. You never know what would happen. They may have just been trying to strike up conversation, but I didn't want to find out :p

Although I would agree as a whole downtown is safe. I would also agree there are ares in North and Northeast that are WAY more dangerous.

I was assaulted one night by a bum. He threw his beer bottle at me and started cussing me out. I told him to beat it he kept following me and threw his cigarette butt (still lit) in my face. Another unrelated night had two bums walk up to me and demand me to give them all the money I had. I told them to beat it or I would make them sorry, the one guy tried to bump my chest and I put him into the ground. The other ran off.

That's why I have a spare barrel for the carry piece and a gallon ziplock of assorted brass from the range in my backpack.... pull the barrel, wipe it clean and drop it on the body, pick up my brass, dump the assorted range brass and on my way - good luck CSI.... Just kiddin but it could be interesting to see how long it takes them to figure it out.

I fear with this post it won't take them very long...... ;-)

That's why I have a spare barrel for the carry piece and a gallon ziplock of assorted brass from the range in my backpack.... pull the barrel, wipe it clean and drop it on the body, pick up my brass, dump the assorted range brass and on my way - good luck CSI.... Just kiddin but it could be interesting to see how long it takes them to figure it out.

I've heard of drop guns but never drop shells, I have to give you credit it's rare for me to find someone more devious than myself.

:s0112::s0114::s0112:

Big city=proportionally more violence. Just a fact of life.

Had a friend on PPB and you wouldn't believe all the violent crime that is not publicized in downtown Portland. It wouldn't do to scare the tourists!

Call me a racist, call me a reactionary but if I am in a place I know there is going to be druggies, homeless, other folks with nothing to live for I am going to carry and be on high alert. Yes, crime can happen any anywhere anytime but don't tempt fate.

And yet you go back to making the comment aimed at the "Tea Party", which if I am correct has about the loosest organization, if any, of any political movement. and you managed to slip in a plug for your business.....classy. I got stabbed by a guy in NYC's subway system, so I am against public transit AND freshly made sandwich stores.

If you want to open your eyes, check the daily arrest logs for Multnomah and Washington county jails which are on their sites. A good chunk of the arrests are violent crimes and majority of it are not domestic issues. Mixed in are a few major felony person crimes and even a couple M11s.

Granted we don't see the same crime like LA or New York, but we're not a worry free urban utopia. Portlanders quickly forgot how large of a homeless population we have. Transients from across the country come here and the street pop isn't the most smart or civilized, just talk to some of them and you will realize most of these guys have the mentality and common sense of grade schooler. Just look at how aggressive downtown panhandlers are. And we also have to worry about the mental health people, they have no control over themselves and are the most dangerous.

Fact is while Portland is relativity safe there are time and places you wouldn't want to be at. You might be that person that walk pasts some "street thugs" and just happen to look at one of them wrong...

My wife works in the sketchiest, methy-est, junky-est part of Portland (she works for an agency that works with drug addicts and the homeless). When my friend with the CCP found out about this he offered to take her to learn how to carry and pick out a pistol. Her response was to laugh and pat him on his shoulder and tell him that there's nothing to be afraid of downtown, after all, it's Portland. She's worked there almost two years and the worst thing that's happened to her is one of the local dealers started commenting on her "booty". She is sad because she can't ever come up with a clever come-back in time.

Edit: She adds: the only people who have anything to be afraid of are the druggies, the homeless and the prostitutes since all of the violence is intragroup. Tourists don't get harassed unless they're dumb enough to walk around with wads of cash popping out of their pockets (and even then they'll just ask you for "bus fare").

Complete BS. Portland is full of drugged out, AIDS/HEP C infected, aggressive pan handlers. Sounds like your wife likes grape Kool-Aid.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top