JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't come up to Portland much to shop but came up for a couple of days with the wife. Walking around up here after dark and during daylight for that mattern is exactly why I got my CCP. People up hear walk closely behind you and there are a lot of sketchy people up here. Really not used to it so it is a little nerve racking. The other thing that I notice is that one street maybe great but the next block down maybe dark. People hanging out in the doorways at night shock the shxt out of you when you are not expecting them.

My wife works in the sketchiest, methy-est, junky-est part of Portland (she works for an agency that works with drug addicts and the homeless). When my friend with the CCP found out about this he offered to take her to learn how to carry and pick out a pistol. Her response was to laugh and pat him on his shoulder and tell him that there's nothing to be afraid of downtown, after all, it's Portland. She's worked there almost two years and the worst thing that's happened to her is one of the local dealers started commenting on her "booty". She is sad because she can't ever come up with a clever come-back in time.

Edit: She adds: the only people who have anything to be afraid of are the druggies, the homeless and the prostitutes since all of the violence is intragroup. Tourists don't get harassed unless they're dumb enough to walk around with wads of cash popping out of their pockets (and even then they'll just ask you for "bus fare").

If your nervous they can smell it lol.... I am actually pretty confident when I am carrying. Sucks to be the guy or girl who attacks me lol. Now just because your packing.... it doesn't mean your 100% safe but it sure as heck evens the odds lol. It's nice to have and not need..... now days you never know when your at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's good to be aware of your surroundings, be calm and always stay a few steps ahead.

If you're scared of portland, do everyone a favor Just stay away.
Don't need a bunch of nervous nellies clutching their guns here...

I'm not a "nervous Nellie" but I did work in downtown Portland, and that's EXACTLY why I did get an OR CWP in addition to my WA CPL!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 9 until the forum update is finished
and not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Attitude will get you a lot farther than a gun walking through the seedy areas of downtown PDX at night.

You have more of a chance in life choking on a peanut or being hit by lightning than you do of dying from an attack from some vagrant or thug downtown. Pull that gun in downtown PDX and you better have stabs wounds first or the Portland Police and D.A. will have a field day with you. Especially in old town. They suspend your Constitution rights in that area - designating it a "drug zone".

There are more cops down there than street corners, all bored and ready to make your life ****. You should fear that much more than some seedy character or bum. PPD has a rep for killing people who pull out their comb or wallet let alone a gun. Your CHL won't mean jack.

That's why I have a spare barrel for the carry piece and a gallon ziplock of assorted brass from the range in my backpack.... pull the barrel, wipe it clean and drop it on the body, pick up my brass, dump the assorted range brass and on my way - good luck CSI.... Just kiddin but it could be interesting to see how long it takes them to figure it out.

A Kimber dual-shot pepper spray for $40 would be more than enough to 'defend' against any undesirables lurking in the shadows. Plus you won't get harrassed, prosecuted, or shot by the PPD.

I've been going downtown Portland (at night) off and on for the last 25 years or more. We recently went to a nightclub right on Burnside to see a band we like. Had to park a few blocks away from the bar, but all in well lit, high traffic areas. Even got hit up for money, but it's easy to say "No".
I didn't carry my gun because I was thinking that we would be searched going in to the club. Well, this club didn't check so I could have. I'm pretty comfortable downtown and the only time I felt like I would have liked to be carrying a gun was when we were in the parking garage. Probably one of the worst places. No police patrols in there.
If we ever go back there, I'll be packing if only because of the parking garage that we'll likely end up in.
As long as I'm defending myself in a reasonable manner, I'm not concerned.

Ironic. When I think of, or discuss, the creepiest places in Oregon, it always ends up as Portland and Eugene.

If you can handle Eugene, you'll do just fine, in Portland.

WAYNO.

I work in the music industry, and spend a lot of time downtown late a night. In the 10 years I've been involved, I've never been muggged, or anything close to it. I get hit up for change a lot, but I just ignore them or say no. I have seen a few fights involving the homeless crackheads, but I've never seen them attacking a regular Joe. And for the CC'ers, the only 2 live music venues that I know of that use metal detectors or full pat downs are the Roseland and Crystal Ballroom, as they usually have the more famous bands. I don't know about the DJ/dance/doof-doof clubs though. Most of them just check ID.

I'm always carrying, not jut downtown, but everywhere. Never had a problem there. Downtown Portland is probably one of the safest downtown areas of any major city in the country. Certainly safer than Chicago. Definitely safer than downtown Kansas City where I grew up. If you just stay aware of your surroundings and don't put yourself in stupid situations you'll most likely be OK.

When I visit other more dangerous cities (Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles or NYC where I grew up), I always know where I'm going, or at least look like I know where I'm going. My camera stays in the daypack or briefcase until needed. I wear a plastic Casio watch, and I wear nothing with wording from another place. If I have a car, I take what I need for my next stop from the trunk ahead of time, so people don't see my luggage or equipment when I leave the car.

I'll If you are really concerned about crime, you can usually find a crime stat map for most cities online...some pinpoint incidents down to the block or intersection.

Ironic. When I think of, or discuss, the creepiest places in Oregon, it always ends up as Portland and Eugene.

If you can handle Eugene, you'll do just fine, in Portland.

WAYNO.

That's funny. I was compelled to get my ccw after two murders within a few miles of my business. That, and third instance where a business owner just down the street from me was nabbed locking up, then taken to his home where he and his family were held hostage.

I guess you could say that those people couldnt "handle" Eugene.

I good friend of mine was nearly stabbed to death downtown several years ago by a racial skinhead named Dennis lloyd Mothersbaugh who just got of prison and is apparently a Tea Partier now. Other than that, I've always felt pretty safe in PDX.

I good friend of mine was nearly stabbed to death downtown several years ago by a racial skinhead named Dennis lloyd Mothersbaugh who just got of prison and is apparently a Tea Partier now. Other than that, I've always felt pretty safe in PDX.

Nice try at guilt by association. I still have a scar from being stabbed defending a friend being robbed by two black guys at Lloyd Center in the 1980's, should I cry racism and blame the Obama or Democratic party? The answer is no, they were scumbags, the end.

Nice try at guilt by association. I still have a scar from being stabbed defending a friend being robbed by two black guys at Lloyd Center in the 1980's, should I cry racism and blame the Obama or Democratic party? The answer is no, they were scumbags, the end.

Thanks. You beat me to it. Pretty lame.

I wasn't trying to suggest all Tea Partier's are racist and I apologize to anyone who took my comment that way. However, that movement has a mostly undeserved reputation that direction and a good way to counteract that would be to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to high profile convicted violent racists who want to help out. For instance, I have several times gotten letters from rather deranged prisoners convicted of gun crimes who want to contribute articles to my magazine. That's not an angle I feel comfortable promoting so I say no thanks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top