JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife is quitting her job and we are looking for ways to cut back, and since our cable bill is almoat $200 a mth that is a good place to start.

We are looking at different options and the Roku player popped up.
Does anyone have experience with these?

Also whats the best/least expensive internet option?

Frontier FIOS is $39.99 per month for us.

The Roku is nice and we would have one but for the existing PS3, PS4 and a smart TV with apps loaded.

I do like the Roku because you can get the app for Rightnow Media unlike the Android based TV we have.

Our friends have the Roku and it's pretty nice and very intuitive.

Bottom line is we dumped Direct TV, DSL and save about $140/month.

We have a Roku and it works well for us. In addition, we use an app/site called PlayOn which allows us to stream/record content from a lot of sources for playback on a PC or from the PC to the Roku.

Have Roku - no issues or problems; I'd recommend it.
BTW, also have AppleTV and find the Roku more flexible, e.g. supports Amazon Prime Video, Apple does not.

Our wish list would be:
1) High speed internet
2) Fox News shows
3) Home shopping shows/home remodeling shows

We are current Comcast users @ $130 a month or so, what do you folks recommend as a replacement? Not up to speed on streaming services...

I've had Roku for a yr or so and haven't had any problems. I've got Playstation Vue and Amazon Prime. No local channels but if
you have an antenna thats not a problem either. the best part was calling DISH and telling them I wanted to return my equiptment. :)
My bill went from $90 a month to $35.
Channels

I watch a lot of history and discovery channels. I love outdoor shows, adventure shows, and military shows. Not much for sports or news.
My kids love regular cartoons so getting those from netflix or youtube works great. We already have a netflix acct so that would be easy.

I think we may go with the Roku 3.

What do you guys use for internet?
Comcast still wants $80 just for high speed internet.

F-ing crooks

I hate tv and I got a iPhone instead of a laptop. That sucks for watching YouTube let alone movies. So I asked the local shop about streaming from my phone and she said not many like it.
But told me to try roku. It's great. I only watch YouTube and Amazon but there is plenty more stations to draw from.
And it keeps me from telling YT hacks how stupid their vids are or they are,lol
For the money it's at least worth the try

Wherever possible, you guys should start with an antenna. It's amazing how good the reception is, and HD is better on an antenna than it is on most cable and sat. setups.
And there's plenty of channels. We get over 40, and we're east of Salem a ways, which isn't bad considering most of them are from PDX.
Nobody tracks what I watch either.
And whenever there's nothing on, I remember that it isn't costing me a dime,... And smile on my way to the bookshelf.

Wherever possible, you guys should start with an antenna. It's amazing how good the reception is, and HD is better on an antenna than it is on most cable and sat. setups.
And there's plenty of channels. We get over 40, and we're east of Salem a ways, which isn't bad considering most of them are from PDX.
And whenever there's nothing on, I remember that it isn't costing me a dime,... And smile on my way to the bookshelf.
Oh boy! Then I could get shnit tv from an antenna!:s0105:
No thanks

Do you mean a satellite antenna or one of those old timey, high up on a pole things? Which way do you orient the antenna?

Do you mean a satellite antenna or one of those old timey, high up on a pole things? Which way do you orient the antenna?
I built mine out of common supplies found at Ace Hdwr. It's a Gray-Hoverman. Instructions:

Single Bay Gray-Hoverman (SBGH) Antenna : DIY TV Antennas
Or here:
The Gray-Hoverman Antenna For UHF Television Reception - Digital Home Canada
Or here:
Hoverman HDTV UHF antenna

I upgraded the mast after I built the cheapie so it would last. Mine is also mounted outside, so the reflector and mast are weatherproof.

How to aim it is here:

AntennaWeb.org

All you need is a compass.

Last Edited:
The Amazon Fire Stick comes recommend from several people.
I know someone who hacked his, not that I would advocate that! Gets several other "channels" or "apps" or what ever brings in the programming that are not typically available.

Amazon Fire TV: What Is It and How Does It Work?

I used to have a Roku, now I use the "smart" TV features. Netflix & Amazon mostly.
I have prime.

One thing that a PlayStation buys is the DVD / BluRay player which is not a part of a Roku.

If it was just me - I'd have an HD antenna and an IP address.

I would also recommend finding an app which will tell you which shows are available on which "channels"
such as https://www.wheretowatch.com/
There are others

Hulu has a couple of options both are pay.
Current Roku Offer: There are more
Get 4 months of Hulu and a free Roku Express for only $29.99
Roku

You can get certain premium channels stand alone - HBO, ShowTime for example.

Crackle -

PS
Ensure you have a great wireless router w/ 802.11ac
What's 802.11? What These Wireless Standards Mean

Last Edited:
I cut the cable years ago, I use an antenna with a booster for local channels. it is mounted in the rafters of my garage and works great, plus there are no worries about things getting wet or blowing down as in an outside set up. We also use a Roku for Netflix and you tube Etc. For internet I use Century Link and just subscribe to internet only for $27.00 a month. We have no need for a phone from them because we use a magic jack which gives us unlimited calling to anywhere in the US for $35.00 a year (yes that is per year). We also have our cell phones (both smart phones with unlimited calling, texting and internet from Metro PCS for $50.00 a month for both phones). I am an official cheap bastard and see no sense in paying big bucks for all the crap they try to rope you into, My yearly output is less than some peoples monthly cost for all their toys. we have everything we need and don't feel the least bit deprived with our set up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top