JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I just recently became the proud owner of a brand new Stoeger Cougar 8045 F (My first pistol). After I took it to the range for the first time today I noticed that it seems to shoot a little low at 10 yards using Blazer Brass 230 gr. FMJ. And I was interested getting a Dove Tail mounted adjustable rear sight. Any suggestions?

The sight that is on the pistol appears to be a standard 3/8th inch. Dove Tail and also has a square notch on it. I am interested in something similar.

Other then that I am very pleased with my first handgun and am looking forward to the next time I can take it the range.

-pwahlster

Update; Just notice that on the Cougar there is a small "block" that rises when you pull the trigger. So I guess that this mean that I am looking for an adjustable sight that would not interfere with the function of the gun.

-pwahlster

I would suggest you review exactly how you are firing the Cougar. By that I mean, you could be dropping the barrel down or pushing the pistol forward at the time of firing. You could also be squeezing the the pistol grip tighter as you fire.

I would recommend you review a circle of issues we all can be at fault when shooting a pistol by reviewing this website for various targets.
[The info is about half way down the page and lists both left and right hand solutions.]

Rifle & Pistol Targets

Enjoy a very fine handgun platform.

Both of us fired the pistol and both shot very low at 10 yards. If you do a search for this problem a number of forum discussions come up. Some that talk about correcting the problem with various sights or modifying the front sight.

Granted this was his first visit to the range with the pistol but based on his scores with the M9 Beretta in the Service he has plenty of experiance shooting similar pistols. And shooting his mothers Astra A-90 and my Ruger 22-45 same visit to the range he had no problem with 7 ring and better on an A-23 target.

Next time we will put it on a rest and bags and see how it does. Thanks for the targets and the suggestion.

Just about all shooters new to the .45 shoot low. Practice, practice, practice. The main problem is that after the first couple of rounds you are anticipating the recoil and pushing down against it. Get some snap caps and practice with a quarter on the barrel. Have someone watch you and tell you when you are pushing it down. Easy to say, hard to do.

IMHO, Ed

shortest range at our club is 10 yards. I know he has been shooting it back in CA where he is stationed but I haven't heard how it's doing. I have read comments on line about the Cougars shooting low.

Time will tell.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads