JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey fellas,
I am a long time coastie (Newport) and have become spoiled with my local range. We have a Rifle range out to 550 yards with steel targets every 50, and a nice pistol range.
I am however taking a job opportunity that will place me in Beaverton and shooting locations there seem dismal. Douglas ridge is my only hope!
I am a handloader and dedicated long range shooter, and I do alot of 100-200 yard load development, 550 target shooting, and banging steel targets. I shoot 1000-1200 yards once a month or so. That's the type of shooting I enjoy most.
Douglas ridge seems like a good choice but as I understand it, we only get to 200 yards most days and long range on Thursdays.
My questions are: do they have steel targets on the 200 yard range? If not will they allow our own? Or are we only allowed to shoot paper?
What's the long range Thursdays like? Is it formal or pretty casual?
I like to shoot with other people but I also like shooting on my own, and doing my own thing.
So is Douglas ridge worth the money for a serious shooter?
Thanks guys!

100/200 yard range is paper targets only. There is a dynamic range next to it where you use steel targets. I believe it goes out to 100 yards. In order to shoot on long range day, you have to attend a long range orientation/class prior otherwise I think it's pretty laid back. I have yet to, so I can't speak from experience. I do believe that once you break down the cost per month, it really is worth it. Facility is nice and despite the size of membership it really isn't that busy.

DRRC Hanbook Bylaws SOPs

You can download the member handbook if you want to read the rules for each range.

DRRC is a good range, I'm in my 4th year there. I don't do long range at this time, but have talked to some folks that do. Once you take the orientation class, you can participate on those Thursdays, which I understand will vary in range from 300 to 1,000 yards. There are also long range matches that occur there on some weekends, so there is that option as well.

As for shooting steel. You can bring your own steel, but where you use it is dependent upon the range you use. The 100/200 yard, as noted by Alex above, is strictly paper targets. Adjacent to that range is the Dynamic Range - which does not have a covered firing line like the 100/200 yard rifle range has. On the Dynamic Range, which goes out to, as I recall, 150 yards, you can shoot your own 'fixed' steel, like a gong, no reactionary targets. The Silhouette range also allows steel, but is for pistol, rimfire rifle and shotgun slugs only. The dynamic range allows all pistol, shotgun and rifle, up to, but not including .50BMG

The handbook linked above is probably your best resource - for each of the ranges (Silhouette, Tactical Shotgun Bay, Dynamic Range, 100/200 Yard Range, Trap/Skeet Range, Indoor Range and Archery Range) is to look at the "Standard Operating Procedures" listed in that handbook for each range. It clearly lists what firearms, ammo and targets can be used for each range.

It's a good club. Well maintained and friendly. The RSO's can be stern, but never unreasonable. Follow the rules and they'll leave you alone. It can get busy on the weekends and they do host a lot of different events there including Service Rifle matches, High Power Rifle Matches, Appleseed, 3-Gun, .22 Rimfire Challenge as well as classes. They also host groups like the Portland Police from time to time for training. During some weekend events, the entire club may be closed to use (like for a long range match) or certain ranges may be closed (like for 3-gun) while others are still open. As a member, it's important that you check the club calendar ahead of time to make sure the range you want to use is available to you.

But it's a good range and as far as I know, they still have room for some more folks to join, though I don't know how much longer they'll be taking in applicants.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top