JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
when I get the chance and have the loose funds to join (Damn heating bills) Id like to pursue a range safety option there maybe instructor. Its something I loved doing in the Army

I'm kind of rusty and want to ease back into shooting at first, while getting acclimated with the club. But I am mostly interested in Rimfire Challenge, High Power Rifle, Long Range Shooting, Handgun Silhouette, Sporting Clay & Trap and Archery.
Look for a Highpower Clinic on March 18th, with a training match on the 19th. The HP Director does them once a year.

Spent the day at DRRC.

First I was at the Blackpowder Range shooting my new 1841 Wesson and Prescott reproduction using real black powder poured out of an old (not a reproduction) 1826 powder horn lent to me by one of the guys. Blackpowder is fun! I hit the steel silhouette targets with fair consistancy except for that danged moving buffalo on the rope pulley. I'll get you next time Mr. Buff!
View attachment 343780

Then I went over to the trap house and shot a round of trap.
No picture...just me learning to say "pull!" with conviction.

Then I went to the indoor pistol range and shot about 200 rounds of .45acp and .38 special for Bullseye practice.
View attachment 343783

All in all a good day at Douglas Ridge.
Ah you must have been the fella talking about bullseye in the trap club. That's quite a setup you have there. I like the net for catching your casings. Do you hand load for that or is it all rimfire?

Ah you must have been the fella talking about bullseye in the trap club. That's quite a setup you have there. I like the net for catching your casings. Do you hand load for that or is it all rimfire?

Both. I'm just now getting into the reloading rabbit hole to save $$ on centerfire reloads. No rimfire this time, since my .22 is with gun sorcerer @Velzey getting tuned up by his Magickal Arts and Incantations. :)

Both. I'm just now getting into the reloading rabbit hole to save $$ on centerfire reloads. No rimfire this time, since my .22 is with gun sorcerer @Velzey getting tuned up by his Magickal Arts and Incantations. :)

People say that reloading will save you money, but I disagree... What reloading will do is give you LOTS more shooting for the same money :D

Pretty jealous of your day at DRRC there Huck.

People say that reloading will save you money, but I disagree... What reloading will do is give you LOTS more shooting for the same money :D

Pretty jealous of your day at DRRC there Huck.

I agree. Reloading is like your paycheck: the more you make the more you spend (or expend). They had a supressor manufacturer there yesterday, too. For a few bucks you could fire away with a range of suppressed firearms including the new Israeli assault rifle (?). Seemed like it would be fun, but I already had a full day o' shootin' on my plate.

I've shot there a few times, only once when they had their range master on site. I got a chewin out for picking up a casing and putting it on a shooting bench when the line was cold.... I thought the range master hated me. No, he didn't even hold a grudge.
My son in law, who's a member, says he doesn't like the way the range masters use their position as a "power trip", but I disagree. I've got no problem with safety.
I really like the place, but I just haven't ponied up the money yet...
Attending an Appleseed there is a great way to see the range.

I've shot there a few times, only once when they had their range master on site. I got a chewin out for picking up a casing and putting it on a shooting bench when the line was cold.... I thought the range master hated me. No, he didn't even hold a grudge.
My son in law, who's a member, says he doesn't like the way the range masters use their position as a "power trip", but I disagree. I've got no problem with safety.
I really like the place, but I just haven't ponied up the money yet...
Attending an Appleseed there is a great way to see the range.

When I was new there I got dinged a few times for violating the 'cold line' rule. I too thought they didn't like me, but it was simply enforcing safety, no grudges. The cold line rules are there to make sure everyone stays safe, nothing more. I haven't met an RSO there who was a power-hungry azz, I just think some folks think the rules don't apply to them and get irked when someone calls them on it. It's not difficult, stay behind the line and don't touch your guns or the table during a cold line. Easy ;)

When I was new there I got dinged a few times for violating the 'cold line' rule. I too thought they didn't like me, but it was simply enforcing safety, no grudges. The cold line rules are there to make sure everyone stays safe, nothing more. I haven't met an RSO there who was a power-hungry azz, I just think some folks think the rules don't apply to them and get irked when someone calls them on it. It's not difficult, stay behind the line and don't touch your guns or the table during a cold line. Easy ;)

Agreed. I'm smart enough to not handle the gun during a cold line and in reality, I'm pretty nutz about firearm safety, but when the guy barked at me, I jumped!
Later in talking with him, I found him to be a friendly guy and there wasn't any mention of my "infraction".

I have yet to see a RSO on-site.

I was out there today at the 100yrd range for sighting in a couple of rifles.
It was a really nice time.

The most fun was sighting in my Father's Remington 511p of 1950ish era. He learned to shoot with this rifle, I learned to shoot with this rifle, and now it is coming out of retirement for my 8 year old daughter to learn on. 3 generations now, and hopefully more to come. Really fun to get it out, cleaned and aiming properly.

IMG_20170219_163136.jpg

After a bit of time, it was really doing well at 50 yards.
IMG_20170219_151320.jpg IMG_20170219_151317.jpg IMG_20170219_161125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed TCGC on 12/30 and they told me there are currently over 900 on the waitlist and that odds are fairly good that I would be able to join by the end of next year.

Are they ever super packed? I never see anyone driving in or out?
March 8 (approximately) email invitations are supposed to start being sent out.
For as many members as there are, the club never really seems to be super busy.
But then again, other than competitions, I'm only out there on week days, never
weekends.

I joined Douglas Ridge, even though it's pretty far from my house. I go to the Ladies Group they have twice a month. It's a great facility, but other than that I don't go, too far from my house. But I figured if I am going to be going regularly for the women's group, it was only fair to join.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top