JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's the season folks. I used to luv 'em but can't eat them now.
Some interesting history here.
The very first Girl Scout cookies were hand baked by the Mistletoe troop in Oklahoma in 1917 to raise money to send gifts to the Doughboys of WW I.

My mom used to say"you should only have one negative thought a day" you're good till Wednesday ;)

Crap - I'm good till about 130 years old at this point ;).

Poor Joe,
So easily offended . . . Don't buy them.

Sheldon

Not sure I am offended by them, more that I disagree with thier corporate policies and lack of any forward progress for women's rights.

And yea, I don't buy them, which I already said.

Maybe I was mistaken and only happy joy joy thoughts were wanted in this thread - just say so from the start and I would have respected it.

I bought a box this year. I hate being solicited at the store too, but I do like the Dosi- Do's. So $4.00 for a good cause. YOU EVER GO TO SUMMER CAMP JOE? :D How'd your group raise the money for it? I was a Boy Scout and we had paper drives, bottle drives, somthin' else probably I don't remember now. Summer camp with the BSA was THE BEST! Seven days, with a four mile hike, into a wilderness area with freeze dried food to eat, and trout that we caught, was the BEST!

Last Edited:
Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, we as parents experienced got to enjoy all of it in our earlier years. My experience, heck ya, I had a blast. The wife enjoyed her par-takings too. Both our kids (B/G) also went through the activities past junior high school as leaders. I don't necessarily care for the cookies and candies, but we continue to support friends, kids and the movement for the cause.

I will say, the GS was always more of a push in the sales dept.

I don't like the cookies, the Girl Scouts or being solicited every time I leave a grocery store.
I thought it was just me, these little cookie nazi's . selling their guilt
ridden chocolate goodness. I used to buy them, but dang they are expensive and
I could polish a box easily in 3 minutes.

Seriously I read somewhere that only a very small ................very small percentage makes it back to the local troop. Like 4cents on the dollar something like that if I recall.

So I was curious as I'd heard the same thing DuneHopper.

http://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/all-about-cookies/FAQs.html

All of the revenue earned from cookie activities—every penny after paying the baker—stays with the local Girl Scout council. Each council determines its own revenue structure depending on its cookie cost, local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating troops and groups. On average, Girl Scout council net revenue is approximately 65–75 percent of the local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating Girl Scout troops and groups, referred to as troop proceeds, is approximately 10–20 percent of the local retail price. Cookie program revenue is a critical source of funding for local Girl Scout councils, and it is often what makes it possible to serve girls in hard-to-serve areas, and maintain camps and properties.

Girl Scout troops and groups must pool their proceeds to pay for program supplies, activities, and group travel. Girl Scouts may not earn proceeds as individuals; however, Girl Scout councils offer a wide variety of recognition items, program- and store-related credits, and travel experiences that girls are eligible to earn individually based on their sales. All troop proceeds and other rewards earned through participation in the Girl Scout Cookie Program must be used to enhance each girl's Girl Scout experience.

Looks like about 55% goes to the National Org.

I bought a box this year. I hate being solicited at the store too, but I do like the Dosi- Do's. So $4.00 for a good cause. YOU EVER GO TO SUMMER CAMP JOE? :D How'd your group raise the money for it? I was a Boy Scout and we had paper drives, bottle drives, somthin' else probably I don't remember now. Summer camp with the BSA was THE BEST! Seven days, with a four mile hike, into a wilderness area with freeze dried food to eat, and trout that we caught, was the BEST!

I was a Boyscout, Cub Den Leader for my little brothers Cub Scout troupe, elected into the order of the arrow (if you don't know what that is, only the top 2 people in my 60 person troupe were ever elected into that order one of which was myself), Eagled with every merit badge available but one or two I think, plus all of the belt medals they did away with (can't seem to remember thier names), was sent to leadership camp, 1 summer camp, 1 five day canoe trip in Canada, 1 7 day bicycle trip around the San wan Islands, 1 National Jamboree and a couple regional ones, was a camp counseler for the sea explorers summer camp for 3 years and was the head lifeguard by year 3. Volunteered as the head lifeguard at a Girl Scout camp. By the time I was done my scout uniform has (still have it) so many badges, awards, sashes and pins that it looks like I was some sort of 4 star general.

My wife and her friend started a Girl Scout troupe in the absence of one in our area for our daughter and her friends. My disgust of the Girl Scouts comes from that time period as corporate rules restricted the girls from doing anything other then basically arts and crafts. It was so bad that it only lasted a year and both my wife and her friend gave the big finger to association.
(I have/had tons of wilderness experience and we had hoped to teach the girls a lot of that - reality was that we couldn't get them approved by the association for liability issueso_O).

I'd be more inclined to give the child $5 towards her summer trip then $3 to corporate Girl Scouts of America and $1 to the child.

Our fundraisers were manning a Christmas tree stand, walk n knocks (although that was just collecting food for the needy) we did candy bars one year which sucked and a few other good ones I just can't remember.

I have, as have my wife during better financial times in our life just given the kids a $20 bill and request that they add it to thier troupe fund or tell them to buy a few boxes of cookies and keep them or share them at school.

I really dislike those Salvation Army bell ringers as well and paid one $20 to stop ringing the bell for 10 min while I waited for my wife to finish shopping. Maybe that makes me a grinch or a hole but there has to be better ways to solicit money from people for good reasons then to beg like interchange sign holders (which make more money then those kids on a bad day from my understanding...).

I have the flu or something, maybe I shouldn't be posting today:rolleyes:

You too huh? I was wondering if something was up, down? If i didn't already feel like crap waking every morning for a half hour or so, now I NEED THIS! :mad: Sympathies my friend.....

Wow, you did the whole scouting SHEEBANG! Good for you. All I ever did in scouts was have fun and none of the work. I worked with the group on our outings, but nothing in the badge area. And only made second class. I dropped out of the church about that time. Tough to go to scouts when the members look down their noses at you, kids and adults. This was in Utah.

"Order of the Arrow" I knew of them. Dad took me to a summer camp, way up in the Uinta Mountians, one year and needed to ask directions. Well, there's guys out scraping on the gravel road into the camp that had numbers painted on their faces. Once we got to the camp he asked on of the guys where my troop would be. The kid told us, and another dude promptly walked over and cut a notch in his arrow. It was an "Ahhh" moment!

I was a Boyscout, Cub Den Leader for my little brothers Cub Scout troupe,

I was in scouts as a kid, all the way up to explorers and then C.A.P..=
Was an Assistant Scout Master here for about 5 years was fun loved every minute as a kid and adult. But disliked the fund raisers other then car washes those could be fun.

The flu, your comments...blame it on the cough medicine...lol
I can relate to your opinions, Joe

I can blame my lack of a filter on the cough medicine lol:p

The comments are all probably spot on but I haven't gone back and read any of it :D.

Been a long time since I have thought hard about my time in scouts, this was actually a fun little thread to reminisce in.

Sorry for the thread jack:oops:

Agreed. While helping activities along with mentoring my son in all the outings, I couldn't resist to join in. For the memories, and to help mentor the troop. After every outing, I was happy to sleep in my own bed!!

I buy the cookies:eek:

3e2b170ed25b15b285a48af7b9ff8383_zpscyvrippv.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top