JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Gals! Question for all of you. Do any of you carry a double stack? I have a springfield xd mod 2. the mag holds 13. I intended for this to be my daily carry, however after several attempts, the gun just seems to heavy, and very uncomfortable.

I then have two options I go to on a daily basis. Either my ruger lcr, or ruger lcp. I like these because of the weight of the guns. However in light of all of the recent shootings, I would really like to be able to hold more than 5 or 6 rounds.

If you carry a double stack, how do you do it? any suggestions? Thanks!

I'm a guy, and I find it hard to CC a double stack without overly baggy clothes. Since I look more than ridiculous while trying to conceal a G19 under a baggy shirt, I pocket carry an LCP. 6'1" and 210 so I can't pull off the colorful outer shirt without looking like a goof. Have you tried pocketing a second mag?

Hey! Thanks for your reply. I have considered doing the 2nd mag route... and just havent commited. I guess my line of thinking is if i can, i would want to shoot 13 right away, then have to take the couple seconds and insert my 2nd mag. But 2 mags is for sure better than one.

Thank you for your input. I am also on the curvier side, so that doesnt help o_O

Guy here too, trapgal! I'm a big guy, and I'm curvy too, it's just that the main curve is outward now!
I also have difficulty carrying a double stack, exacerbated by my preference for IWB carry. So, I pack a single stack Sig P290rs, 9mm, 6+1 IWB with two, spare, eight rnd magazines.
When I want to carry a full sized service pistol, including double stack's, I use sholder holsters!
Good luck solving your carry question!:)

Both my night stand and carry pistols are Beretta Cheetahs
- mod. 86 tip-barrel, 380 satin black, 8+1 round single stack.
- mod. 84fs, 380 nickel/stainless, 13+1 double stack 380
While either one is not the smallest gun available, they are compact enough to carry, a joy to shoot, ultra reliable and absolutely drop dead gorgeous.
I have very small hands with short chubby fingers and find the single stack 86 too be the best fit of any gun I've ever owned and as a nightstand gun it is the safest gun to clear I've ever seen...pop the barrel, cartridge drops out, pop the mag.
The mod 84 is more of a handful but it still fits my hand well, it's heavier too (being stainless, plus the extra ammo). If you want to carry an extra mag there's the mod.85 it's a standard single stack 8+1. Either gun has an excellent trigger.
I also prefer the 80 series frame mounted decocker/safety over the slide mount of the full size Berettas.

The 86 is no longer avail new in the US, but like new ones can be found and are usually under $950 (got mine 3 years ago for 400 but they've become hard to find, but that can change)
Both Mods 84 and 85 are still available new for around $750 and excellent used for $625-675 and beats the heck out of the Sig P938 that is in the same price/size range. It is almost exactly the same size as the Walther ppk.

upload_2016-6-13_23-20-59.png

I also have a Bursa CC stainless that I have a custom antiqued silver oxide, full cover holster for that fits the gun and 2 spare mags. It's mainly my car and picnic gun. upload_2016-6-13_23-46-17.png

Last Edited:
Thanks sgt nambu for your insight! I might just end up doing my lcp and carry another mag. I guess men and women have a difficult time with a double stack.

And thanks albin 25. Those are some pretty guns! I really like them! :)

I carry an LCP for deep/summer socializing, in either an IWB, SHTF brand holster or a pocket holster. Again, a pair of stock LCP magazines with the pistol!
It sure is easier to carry, and I carried.380's for years, but in these troubled times I really prefer 9mm at a minimum. YMMV, again good luck!:)

image.jpeg
I carry a full size 9, Jericho 941 FL. See above. Poly frame and mag will hold 17, so yeah it's a double stack. I have been known to conceal it. I use a paddle holster OWB with a forward cant. It holds it very close to my body and I can flip my shirt over it. The grip usually hits right about my elbow and my shirts are loose enough that it doesn't "print". I can and have carried my 1911 the same way.

ETA: I'm a gal and on the large side. Oh, and I also added the picture. :cool:

Last Edited:
Hey! Thanks for your reply. I have considered doing the 2nd mag route... and just havent commited. I guess my line of thinking is if i can, i would want to shoot 13 right away, then have to take the couple seconds and insert my 2nd mag. But 2 mags is for sure better than one.

Thank you for your input. I am also on the curvier side, so that doesnt help o_O

Being curvy isn't a bad thing for a woman, and the more I think about it, it doesn't matter as women typically wear tighter fitting clothes than men anyway. Tougher to carry a double stack whether a size 0 or a size 20. Just my opinion.

My wife has this problem, she really wants to trade up to a double stack compact, but finds it prints with every thing! What we ended up doing was having a few nice and stylish belts made that are just wide enough to fit an IWB holster to the inside of the belt! She likes to wear nice dresses and skirts and this helps with fit issues and cover without printing This allows her the option of carrying a larger pistol while still concealing it in a stylish manor! It looks nice, and still makes a draw quick and easy! We actually found that with the right holster, she can carry my full size double stack 1911!

If you carry a double stack, how do you do it? any suggestions? Thanks!

A G21 SF .45 in a Serpa holster on belt in our 6 months of winter, in a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster with a light jacket or blazer if working business casual in Spring and Fall, sometimes in a Maxpedition Versapack when on the job and dressing light.

Backup is a S&W 638 alloy J-frame .38 in a Galco Pocket protector, right-front pocket.

My favorite setup is the Serpa or a ProCarry quick draw (the Holster Store) on a Galco CB3 Concealment belt. A photographer's vest can work for concealment in hot weather without looking weird.

Edit to add, dang, just saw the first two words of the original post. Nevermind.

My (curvy) daughter has claimed my Makarov and occasionally carries it, as have I. I've tried to carry a CZ83 and it's hard to get used to. Granted, it's not very light either. The Mak in an IWB isn't too bad for me. No real mystery here, double stacks are bigger and less comfy to carry. Doesn't matter if you're male or female, curvy or not. Pocketing the second mag for a single is probably a sound suggestion.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top