JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought my first AR15 (First rifle of any kind, save my 10/22).

Took it out shooting today. Round count (very approx) 125 I was shooting semi-quickly...maybe 1 round every 3/4th of a second. I pulled the trigger ONCE and heard two distinct shots much much faster than I would have been able to it myself.

I stopped shooting and looked at my buddy, who was watching me and was visibly confused by the double shot as well.

Is this "normal"? I attempted to do it a few more times and couldn't even come close.

Thanks for the info.

No it's not normal. One of 2 things happened:

Your rifle "doubled"--firing 2 shots for one pull of the trigger. Something is wrong.
Could just need a good cleaning, could have an out of spec trigger group, but it
needs to be looked at. You are technically in violation of Federal law, your gun could
be considered an illegal machine gun.

or

You managed to "bump fire" it. Hard to do with a mil-spec trigger from the shoulder, but
I've done it with a target trigger before. You actually hit the trigger twice--once deliberately
and once as the gun moved forward out of recoil. Not illegal, some people would consider
it to be a "feature".

As BillM stated.

A double, or multiple fire could have been caused by any number
of things. If you purchased the rifle from a dealer, I would return it and ask them
to check the operation. This would help to cover you if it should occur again in the
presence of anyone that wanted to make a case out of it.:s0131:

If you purchased the rifle in an FTF transaction and need to figure this out on your
own, sorry, but you're in for a lot of expensive "Trial 'n Error and Tear 'n Compare".

Jack...:cool:

I bought the AR from a local dealer, but I bought the upper and lower seperately. So there is no warranty....although this particular dealer has a very good track record of having good service after the purchase.

That said....if I go into the shop and say, "My rifle fired twice", I have a feeling they'll tell me I just pulled the trigger faster than I thought. Or some other excuse. Especially since it's painfully obvious I'm new to this. The shop is located about an hour away from me, and I'd be very unhappy to travel that distance with no results.

What might I tell them to convince them otherwise? Is there a part of the rifle in particular that I should suggest they look at?

This might be a good time to pull your trigger group apart, you will eventually anyway, and check to see if any metal parts look like they have been monkeyed with. Even an untrained eye can see an obvious flaw or wonky machining. If you are unsure take GOOD pics of the parts and put them up and let the more knowledgeable people have a look. You might just have a part out of spec.

Were the parts purchased new?

I've got a couple hours, I will play around with it and see if I can safely (ie, not break anything) take it apart and get pictures.

Yes, the parts were purchased new and from a reputable dealer. That said, there's always the possibility of mistakes.....

Being as I couldn't get the problem to reoccur, I think I'm being paranoid. Just figured better safe than sorry.

Is it possible that one of the rounds was double primed or something?

Edit: I was using Tactical Ammuniton (http://www.tacticalammunition.com/)

Can't figure out how to disassemble it further, so pics not great. But I don't see anything amiss.

2012-05-05_16-57-15_427.jpg

2012-05-05_16-55-59_688.jpg

2012-05-05_16-55-33_199.jpg

2012-05-05_16-55-03_21.jpg

Don't see anything that appears amiss in your pictures
and all of your springs appear to be installed correctly.

You should be able to tell if anything appears to have
been filed on, or not. Like you say, it may have just
been a fluke.

Jack :cool:

Could be a fluke. Be sure you have the rifle firmly against your shoulder and have a firm grip with your trigger hand so the recoil doesn't cause you to pull the trigger again. The rifle upon firing will first recoil backward and then rebound. If you have a good grip on the stock with your trigger hand, your trigger finger will follow. If not, the rifle moving forward could cause the trigger to engage your finger again.

By firm, not a "gorilla grip" which affects your precision, just enough that your hand is part of the rifle.

Are you reloading? Make sure your primers are fully seated. Make sure the rounds can easily go completely into the chamber. If any of that isn't true, you can get a slam fire.

Make sure your firing pin is lubed.

"That's all I got" for now.

More than likely it was just your shooting. You may have held the gun loose which allowed your finger to double tap the trigger.

Take it out and either let someone else shoot it, or shoot is slower to see if there really is a problem.

I would guess ,if it was mechanical it would do it more frequently.Like all the time.
If you didn't do it again,I would do as stated before,have someone else try it out. Then if all goes well,don't worry about it.

In your 4th pic, right behind the disconnect appears to be a shiny spot. I think the hammer is bouncing off of the disconnect and not catching. This will cause the rifle to light off multiple rounds. It happened to me. Make sure that the screw for the grip isn't too long, or if you put in preset screws in, back them off under the trigger

Last Edited:
Try grinding off a little of the hook at the rear of the hammer, that will keep it from hitting behind the catch on the disconnect. If it still double fires, grind some more.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've fired 500 rounds through the AR so far, and it's only happened once. This makes me think that it's 99% chance it was just my shooting (as many have suggested). It's also only happened when I was shooting, not my friends.

If it happens again, I will replace the fire control group and talk to a gun smith about the hammer grinding (Don't trust myself doing that kind of work).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top