JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So with these last dust-ups, I gather that the mental veracity of given individuals is being considered further.
I noticed that on the basic gun buying form (from like decades ago), it asks if you are on drugs/have a medical condition or something like that.
What I'm getting at is since I think there's a cubic bungload of state licensed medical marijuana users there must be a commensurate ratio that also are licensed/OK'd to "carry"/own a gun.
Last I heard it was against federal law to do pretty much anything with the weed yet on the other hand, licenses for essentially making/effecting a livelihood (I think you can grow like forty pounds a year in Oregon, don't know) are endorsed/enabled by the state and there's no cross referencing that I know of regarding the two.

You're commiting purgury on form 4473 if you are a medical marijuana user and say no to the drug question.

'Supposedly' they are not allowed to cross reference into the medical mj database though, so the possiblity of getting caught is low. You know how well the government follows its own laws though :s0131:

You're commiting purgury on form 4473 if you are a medical marijuana user and say no to the drug question.

'Supposedly' they are not allowed to cross reference into the medical mj database though, so the possiblity of getting caught is low. You know how well the government follows its own laws though :s0131:

You are not committing perjury when you answer that question if you are a medical MJ patient. It is not 'unlawful" use, and MJ is not addictive. As with any prescription, if your use is without a license (prescription), it is illegal use, with a prescription, it is NOT illegal use.

I am surprised that people well versed in firearms law, have bought into the media propaganda that MJ is just "Evil".

You are not committing perjury when you answer that question if you are a medical MJ patient. It is not 'unlawful" use, and MJ is not addictive. As with any prescription, if your use is without a license (prescription), it is illegal use, with a prescription, it is NOT illegal use.

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substances

Im with ya but, FEDS dont recognize your prescription or the states MJ laws, they have a different view its still a controlled substance

I am surprised that people well versed in firearms law, have bought into the media propaganda that MJ is just "Evil".

Pot, according to the Feds, is a schedule 1 drug and has no medical uses at all and federal law trumps all state laws.

Don't get me wrong, prohibition of anything, be it pot, alcohol, cancer sticks, however 'bad' one thinks it is, is all wrong. The government has no business trying to legislate morality, thats like teaching a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

No. It asks you if you are an illegal user. Here in WA, there is no illegal MJ use. Therefore no, you would not answer to the affirmative. It's also ambiguous, as it doesn't specify fed or state law, so their ambiguity helps in your favor.

No. It asks you if you are an illegal user. Here in WA, there is no illegal MJ use. Therefore no, you would not answer to the affirmative. It's also ambiguous, as it doesn't specify fed or state law, so their ambiguity helps in your favor.

Ummm, No. The ATF has explicitly said otherwise.

The ATF's letter, sent out Sept. 21 [2011], clarifies that the bureau includes
medical-marijuana patients in that group of prohibited buyers because their
marijuana use is inherently illegal federally.

You can find the full text here:

ATF Open Letter to FFL's Regarding Medical Marijuana

Actually the very first line on the form does specify the laws that pertain. "WARNING: You may not receive a firearm if prohibited by Federal or State law". The "Definition of a Prohibited Person" section specifically mentions the unlawful use of or addiction to among other things marijuana. As noted above, marijuana is a Federally controlled substance. Now that is not to say how a Federal jury made up of your peers in your state would rule on a case...volunteers for a test case anyone?

Actually the very first line on the form does specify the laws that pertain. "WARNING: You may not receive a firearm if prohibited by Federal or State law". The "Definition of a Prohibited Person" section specifically mentions the unlawful use of or addiction to among other things marijuana. As noted above, marijuana is a Federally controlled substance. Now that is not to say how a Federal jury made up of your peers in your state would rule on a case...volunteers for a test case anyone?

Posession of an OMMP card does not mean you are currently using or posessing marijuana. Therefore, posession of an OMMP card does not constitute perjury on form 4473.

I can see it now. You've heard of those proposed vending machines?.. your fingerprint will energize a huge electro-magnet upon purchase.
No dope/gun for you!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads