Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dope smoking pistol packers.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Certaindeaf, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

So with these last dust-ups, I gather that the mental veracity of given individuals is being considered further.
    I noticed that on the basic gun buying form (from like decades ago), it asks if you are on drugs/have a medical condition or something like that.
    What I'm getting at is since I think there's a cubic bungload of state licensed medical marijuana users there must be a commensurate ratio that also are licensed/OK'd to "carry"/own a gun.
    Last I heard it was against federal law to do pretty much anything with the weed yet on the other hand, licenses for essentially making/effecting a livelihood (I think you can grow like forty pounds a year in Oregon, don't know) are endorsed/enabled by the state and there's no cross referencing that I know of regarding the two.

2. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

You're commiting purgury on form 4473 if you are a medical marijuana user and say no to the drug question.

'Supposedly' they are not allowed to cross reference into the medical mj database though, so the possiblity of getting caught is low. You know how well the government follows its own laws though :paranoid:

3. Certaindeaf

You'd think the low-hanging Froot-Loops (so hungry! lolz) would be picked first since it's against existing law.

4. moose

Personally I think a drunk with gun is far more dangerous than a pot smoker. They dont ask that though.

5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

All about what it is always about - $$$ and tax revenue.

6. moose

Yep, I can go down to the local store and buy some of the strongest narcotic out there. And get free matches too.

7. Major Payne

Major Payne PNW Active Member

Gotta love the USA :)

8. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

You are not committing perjury when you answer that question if you are a medical MJ patient. It is not 'unlawful" use, and MJ is not addictive. As with any prescription, if your use is without a license (prescription), it is illegal use, with a prescription, it is NOT illegal use.

I am surprised that people well versed in firearms law, have bought into the media propaganda that MJ is just "Evil".

9. WasrNwarpaint

WasrNwarpaint Portland Well-Known Member

Im with ya but, FEDS dont recognize your prescription or the states MJ laws, they have a different view its still a controlled substance

Izzy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. moose

Pot, according to the Feds, is a schedule 1 drug and has no medical uses at all and federal law trumps all state laws.

Don't get me wrong, prohibition of anything, be it pot, alcohol, cancer sticks, however 'bad' one thinks it is, is all wrong. The government has no business trying to legislate morality, thats like teaching a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Izzy, mambo, Redcap and 3 others like this.
  11. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

No. It asks you if you are an illegal user. Here in WA, there is no illegal MJ use. Therefore no, you would not answer to the affirmative. It's also ambiguous, as it doesn't specify fed or state law, so their ambiguity helps in your favor.

12. moose

Ummm, No. The ATF has explicitly said otherwise.

You can find the full text here:

ATF Open Letter to FFL's Regarding Medical Marijuana

13. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Actually the very first line on the form does specify the laws that pertain. "WARNING: You may not receive a firearm if prohibited by Federal or State law". The "Definition of a Prohibited Person" section specifically mentions the unlawful use of or addiction to among other things marijuana. As noted above, marijuana is a Federally controlled substance. Now that is not to say how a Federal jury made up of your peers in your state would rule on a case...volunteers for a test case anyone?

14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Also..."dope" these days (and has for 10-15 years) means heroin. Specifically.

16. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

Posession of an OMMP card does not mean you are currently using or posessing marijuana. Therefore, posession of an OMMP card does not constitute perjury on form 4473.

17. moose

True, it doesnt specify a time frame. So as long as you smush out the joint before you tick the box, you should be GTG :p

18. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

Dammed hippies

19. Certaindeaf

I can see it now. You’ve heard of those proposed vending machines?.. your fingerprint will energize a huge electro-magnet upon purchase.
    No dope/gun for you!

20. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

OK, we have a volunteer to test the BATF's rules!!