JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have many excellent points on this entire topic Noisy, prepping/economic collapse etc etc . I am curious what your opinion is as to why so many people are not only oblivious to the mess we are in but almost downright hostile when they are confronted with the idea of being prepared. It can't be ALL blamed on media influence, are there that many people that are just completely out of touch with reality? Just curious what are your thoughts are!

Four main reasons.

1. Authority-driven opinions and direction. Most people cannot accept information if not given to them by an authority figure. The talking head on CNN, USAtoday, or someone with a government title. Since the media is owned by large corporate interests (that are driven by continued status quo and profits), the message they give is that all is well, get out there and buy something. Any evidence to the contrary is not reported on, shelved, and forgotten.

2. Comfort-driven message. If a message delivers some level of comfort people gravitate toward it. Informing people that their lives are in the hands of scheming central bankers and high powers with no moral compass is distressing. Not the kind of message people want to hear while at the dinner table. Who is doing best on American Idol this week is far more interesting and important.

3. Acceptance from others. A big one. We are driven by the desire to be accepted by others. How others accept or respond to us is how we judge our worth or even our sanity.

Talking about the coming collapse doesn't appeal to the vast majority of people. It drives them away because of '2.' There is never any financial benefit or a pat on the back for being the person that shares real truth. Only if you follow the herd will you never get an 'atta boy'. Just ask anyone who has discovered an uncomfortable truth and then felt the desire to go share that truth with others.

Accept that reality right now. If you want to be looked up to, admired, compensated, or respected - those things do NOT come with exposing the truth based on the evidence at hand. It never will.

This I guarantee you - when the collapse happens no one will come to you and say 'wow, you were right.' What they will say is that some unforeseen event happened unexpectedly and it was a freak thing, coincidence, etc.

4. The biggest - Normalcy Bias. When something has never happened before in someone's lifetime or from their personal experience they simple don't see it as a possibility. If you could go back in time to 1928 and ask the person on the street if a collapse was coming you would have been laughed at; same with 1988-89 in the Soviet Union; etc, etc. Unfortunately, the collapse we are headed into will dwarf those events. There is no need to cower in fear or be depressed about it. Better to prepare the best you can, KNOW that you have made your best effort, and then get on with enjoying your life.

I reposted the response here; pretty decent blog -

Overcome Your Normalcy Bias - Modern Survival Blog – surviving uncertain times

I just watched a disturbing video. It appears that Dsarti...the big, former truck driver, who appeared on the NatGeo show Doomsday Preppers, has been forced into the healthcare/psychiatric system here in Tennessee, and had his guns taken away from him. Just days after appearing on national television...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUv9p...re=uploademail

He has subsequently given up on prepping...and has stopped making youtube videos.

everyone shown was either insane or stupid and the experts were ignorant and dismissive, but I did get a lot of new ideas on things to do - things to keep in mind. I'm still going to watch because most other shows on tv are crap anyway, at least I might learn something useful.

I'm sorry to hear that. I liked the guy. He seemed genuine and wanted to help others.

What happened is that he was an engaging fellow with a following, a natural leader type, hence TPTB decided to put Obama Care to work (as in the Soviet Union) and ruin his life by declaring him mentaly unfit to excercise his God Given Rights.
OPSEC!

everyone shown was either insane or stupid and the experts were ignorant and dismissive, but I did get a lot of new ideas on things to do - things to keep in mind. I'm still going to watch because most other shows on TV are crap anyway, at least I might learn something useful.

I agree.

Check out the prepper show on the Internet GBTV (you can Goggle it). A family is preparing and has some thought provoking ideas. It's strictly entertainment but I enjoyed it. There is five episodes now called "Independence" and I am sorry I don't know how to post a link. I downloaded them at a friends house onto a thumb drive.

That girl who's about my age, in her 20's, acting like she's in great shape.

No.
Just, no.

She was a cow who took hours to walk a few miles in shorts exposing her fat-covered lady-parts. Nasty nasty promiscuous female who was likely just rejected by too many men.

"I think I'd survive on my feet for, uhh, three or fourth months before I'd have to resort to less than savory means of supporting myself," she says.
I think I've found someone actually begging for the Apocalypse so she can screw desperate vigilante men.

megan-hurwitt_46894_600x450.jpg

The nature guy in the city was cool, eating salads of native plants. Still, what was with the salad dressing? I mean, come on dude..

I wouldn't be surprised if the show "hoarders" contacted these people after seeing them on that show.

That girl who's about my age, in her 20's, acting like she's in great shape.

No.
Just, no.

She was a cow who took hours to walk a few miles in shorts exposing her fat-covered lady-parts. Nasty nasty promiscuous female who was likely just rejected by too many men.

"I think I'd survive on my feet for, uhh, three or fourth months before I'd have to resort to less than savory means of supporting myself," she says.
I think I've found someone actually begging for the Apocalypse so she can screw desperate vigilante men.

That's a LOT of vitriol there, mate. Don't like strippers much and you live in PDX?

The wife and I eagerly awaited the premiere of this show. We have the DVR set to record the series. I watched the first two episodes on premiere night last Tuesday. A few observations:

(A few of these have already been covered by others here)

-They pick the most ignorant, backwoods, toothless goobers to described the Tornado that hit the trailer park.

-Not too sure who their "experts" are and I am left wondering what they're experts in.

-(I might be wrong on this one) At the end of every segment where the "experts" describe the probability of the situation occurring that's being prepped for, it seems that they didn't really say anything or little at all about those who are prepping for financial collapse. It was almost like the show didn't want to touch that subject with a 10 foot pole. Hmmmmmm predictive programming maybe?

-A .22 round fired from 200 yards away is probably not a sufficient test to determine the "bulletproofness" of your shipping container fortress.

-No, they didn't disclose locations, however, all those people know people that probably saw them on tv. All those people (at least the ones with a permanent location full of preps) can most likely consider themselves dead already.

-There were some examples of what not to do, but there was also some good info. I'll continue to watch.

Just my 2 cents.

When and if desperate times come, they have given enough information out to the public to be raided for their supplies.
Even "good neighbors" will do anything to protect their starving children.
Best to stay way under the radar...too late for them.

They will still come and those in stick construction anywhere are in for it

Have no doubt. The show is a 'hit piece' against rational preppers. The History Channel is owned by interests that do not have the interests of truth and justice in mind.

That's a LOT of vitriol there, mate. Don't like strippers much and you live in PDX?

Right. DId you even watch the show? I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole. Man, even that sounds terrible, because she would probably like that.

Fight Club Grade School - YouTube

Have no doubt. The show is a 'hit piece' against rational preppers. The History Channel is owned by interests that do not have the interests of truth and justice in mind.

I miss the good ol days. During those nights that I just couldn't sleep, The History Channel was always on, with no commercials.. I learned a lot about WW2.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top