JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
lol, wow, just watched the show tonight, and well, I think I will continue NOT preparring. If the Big 1 hits, may god help us and if Its our time, my fiance and I both have said, "Gods Will" who are we to deny that. I think we will continue to make the best of every day we live, 1 day at a time and enjoy it. Good luck to everyone who does not agree with me.

Then why even have a firearm? Just fun to shoot?

I got a kick out of the New England libtards, one kids said if roving bands of looters came he would friendly it up and gain their trust, then if they turned evil he would poison them or slit their throats as they slept. Good luck libtard!
Most of the people in the show actually seem to understand that starving people have no morals, or "Ethics" as the retard said. Those who understand that are ready for self defense.

To think that idiots like that neutralize my vote.

I got a kick out of the New England libtards,
So did I! - and I was just about to post a similar followup. While the first two episodes were interesting I think the show is going to become redundant and boring very quickly. One thing was clear though - to prep on a scale that could be considered effective long term takes a lot of money and effort. Much more than I could spend on it.

Then why even have a firearm? Just fun to shoot?

um not sure what your talking about sir. just because Im not going to stockpile food and supplies for the next decade, doesnt mean I want to die tomorrow. If you re-read the quote you quoted on ME...I believe I said I will live each day, 1 at a time.

So if you twisted that into something that you imagined, you can come on over and try to rob our house, you wont make it back out, thats why I have a gun for one reason.

So did I! - and I was just about to post a similar followup. While the first two episodes were interesting I think the show is going to become redundant and boring very quickly. One thing was clear though - to prep on a scale that could be considered effective long term takes a lot of money and effort. Much more than I could spend on it.

Well I do not think you really need to prepare ofr a decade, if you can out last thepeople sucking on the big ----- in the sky, you have it made, because that is better than 50% of our current population. If you have enough food to get your family through until you can scavenge, grow or kill what you need, you have it made. go for 30 days, then 90 days, then six months, then a year. while you are doing that work making your home more fuel efficient and consider alternative energy source, look at the great home made solar system one posters on here did.

Dang don't ever give up or give in, once you do that, you and your family are goners, start small and like I said and others on here have on other blogs, start small and build on it, thats why most us are here, is learn tricks and short cuts and cheaper ways from others

I got a kick out of the New England libtards, one kids said if roving bands of looters came he would friendly it up and gain their trust, then if they turned evil he would poison them or slit their throats as they slept. To think that idiots like that neutralize my vote.

I have to agree. I don't really understand why they would go to all of the trouble prepping without any way of securing or protecting it. And the son.... WOW. :nuts:

I thought it was interesting that the "experts" all downplayed the chances of anything the preppers were prepping for, making them look silly and lulling the rest of the sheep into a faulse sense of security.

Seems like I was right - they're only showing the kooks and downplaying any real reasons someone might have for stocking up on supplies. Normal, sane people don't make for good TV ratings. Thus they're going to show the goofballs, the folks a bit off the rocker, and of course the "experts" they have on will downplay any real dangers - they don't want to start a panic (and why let 'em - if everyone started stockpiling food/ammo/guns/blankets/etc - the prices on everything would skyrocket. Let the sheep be sheep a while longer.)

Seems like I was right - they're only showing the kooks and downplaying any real reasons someone might have for stocking up on supplies. Normal, sane people don't make for good TV ratings. Thus they're going to show the goofballs, the folks a bit off the rocker, and of course the "experts" they have on will downplay any real dangers - they don't want to start a panic (and why let 'em - if everyone started stockpiling food/ammo/guns/blankets/etc - the prices on everything would skyrocket. Let the sheep be sheep a while longer.)

Yep. It was just as expected.

Plus nothing is represented as being time critical as to something in the here and now. The preppers on the show are preparing for the same general reasons as someone in the 70s or 80s.

Nothing is allowed that specifically details why RIGHT NOW prepping makes complete sense, ie, the fact that the economy is cliff side with hundreds of solid facts to support that conclusion. That we have NEVER as a country been under these conditions ever before.

Many professionals - doctors, lawyers, etc are now preppers for the first time. People making hefty incomes, with prestigious titles and occupations. But this show wants to portray preppers as toothless, obese hics who celebrate other's demise (the fat chick) or stupid enough to believe they can survive massive land mass shifts due to polar shifting while cruising around in a school bus.

The History Channel has been used before as a vehicle for fact distortion and propaganda before. It is not a source of information that people should ever trust as a final word.

Like all sources of information it has its gems and its lemons. It is up to the rational, logical thinker to separate the two and discard obvious misinformation.

Aside from the obvious shortcomings of the show I think Nat Geo did a good job of producing it in the classic documentary format as opposed to 'reality' based with all the drama and human interest. I did notice however a few important issues were never brought up - and most notably with the first people outlined IE. those living in the shipping container house:

They never addressed long term sanitation issues.
They never mentioned personal hygiene or cleanliness issues.
They never addressed water issues. (I assume they had a well and could continue to get water with alternative power sources but never discussed contingencies in the event of loss of water sources.)
This part may seem crude but they never mentioned 'disposal' issues in the event they had to use deadly force to protect themselves or property.

While my observations of these issues may seem sideways they could become problematic and could seriously alter their preparedness.

i could only stand to watch part of it before changing channels, the people living in the [house] made from shipping containers firing a few shots from a .22 rifle at the house and declaring it safe from gun fire, and then there was the food storage. looked like hundreds of gallons of food stored in glass jars on open shelves. what happens in an earthquake? things shake around, glass jars hit the floor. that was enough for me. not to mention things discussed above. i wont be back.

Now, they wouldn't want to poke holes in someone's fantasy world by shooting something like a .308 or .30-06 at their container house, now would they? Maybe all the glass jars get glued to the shelves - that way they can't be taken down or fall off. Or maybe it's all part of their real plan - the glass jars are improperly canned and brimming with botulism - and that's the stuff they're going to give to more needy unprepared folks who beg for food?

I saw the episodes and got a little upset at first. If not for how "different" the people on there were, but also that their so-called experts made the families look silly (well sillier than they already did). But then I stopped and thought that while a lot of what they showed is flawed, if it gets just a few people thinking about being prepared then it's a good show. I would like to think that any "sane" prepper would do A LOT more research into food storage, waste removal, home security ect. than what they saw on a show. Besides, now many preppers would actually want to be put on tv showing all of their supplies and defenses? I wouldn't think that there would be that many, so the producers may have been scraping the barrels (so to speak) to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.

As to the one woman's concerns regarding the economy, "most economists believe that there are no impending issues". Almost spilled my beer laughing at that statement. I knew they'd throw that gem in there. If you believe that the economy's future isn't all rosy you must be a nut case. Well, sorry, the chosen 'experts' are wrong. Their track records at predicting good from bad times is pathetic.

You buy fire insurance for your home even though the chance of your home burning down is .002%.

However, if you buy a few cases of tuna fish or freeze dried food and stick it in the bottom of a closet for a rainy day you are a delusional nut case. You own a gun to defend your little storage of food and your life? Why? That is just crazy! Poor, poor paranoid people. You need help. There is something very wrong with you.

The Economic Collapse

As to the one woman's concerns regarding the economy, "most economists believe that there are no impending issues". Almost spilled my beer laughing at that statement. I knew they'd throw that gem in there. If you believe that the economy's future isn't all rosy you must be a nut case. Well, sorry, the chosen 'experts' are wrong. Their track records at predicting good from bad times is pathetic.

You buy fire insurance for your home even though the chance of your home burning down is .002%.

However, if you buy a few cases of tuna fish or freeze dried food and stick it in the bottom of a closet for a rainy day you are a delusional nut case. You own a gun to defend your little storage of food and your life? Why? That is just crazy! Poor, poor paranoid people. You need help. There is something very wrong with you.

The Economic Collapse

You have many excellent points on this entire topic Noisy, prepping/economic collapse etc etc . I am curious what your opinion is as to why so many people are not only oblivious to the mess we are in but almost downright hostile when they are confronted witht the idea of being prepared.It cant be ALL blamed on media influence, are there that many people that are just completely out of touch with reality? Just curious what your thoughts are!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top