JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dont know of theres any truth to this so thought id share an interesting conversation I heard at a gun shop yesterday. The gun shop owner had mentioned to a frequent customer that the feds will contact certain people if they do over a certain number of transfers or transactions. He mentioned that if someone "transfers" more than 2 handguns within a week then the feds will get curious. He said it was applicable to handgun transfers only, not rifles. He also mentioned if one individual purchases more than 24 firearms in a month that they will get a call from the feds. Ive never heard anything like this anywhere else and just found it interesting. He had mentioned this to someone as an FYI / heads up and it got me rather curious just thinking about it. I couldnt find anything on the internet about this.

There is a form if you buy more than 1 pistol in a certain time period. I think it's a week but can't remember. Multiple rifle purchases are only tracked in southern border states

I know someone who got a "cool it" visit from the ATF a couple years ago. Don't know the number of transfers involved but he was on a buying binge apparently.

If two hand guns are purchased within a 5 day period a separate form is sent into the ATF. If a pattern appears of multiple handgun purchases in a short period of time they may investigate. They say it is to detour gang violence or gang warfare.

It has been that way for a long time.

I have done it more than once and have never been approached by anybody but I also worked at a guns shop at the time.

I'm going to call BS on that. One time, after taxes I did 6 transfers in one day. I had things come in on order and I purchased 2 new handguns and a rifle, in addition to the two on order and one trade.

I have also done a lot of business in one week, with trades and purchases (mostly handguns) and never had to fill out an extra form, my FFL has no idea what the extra form is either. He told me he has had people come in and fill two pages in serial numbers for orders.

If the feds were going to "get curious" I imagine they would have stopped by long before that.

Either way, never had an issue or a visit. Its odd to me that the FFL would not know about this. Been in business for quite a while and doubtful they would directly lie to me about what the process is behind purchasing multiple items at once.

Like I have said I have bought more than two hand guns at a time more than once and as many as 5 one time but never got checked on. The shop I worked in during Christmas had to do a lot of forms as folks would by multiple handguns for the family at one time.

Do not know your dealer so not sure if he did not know or lied to you but he could get in trouble if he did not do it.

Rifles you can buy a 100 and nothing is different unless you live in the Sothern states and that just change a few years back 2011 I think.

I heard a couple months ago that the atf was at a Utah gun show sending folks with more than a couple guns and no FFL home.
I spent a couple hours checking out Utah gun forums to no avail.
In these times there will be lots of stories to stir things up.;)

I know someone who got a "cool it" visit from the ATF a couple years ago. Don't know the number of transfers involved but he was on a buying binge apparently.

Unless the person is turning around and selling the firearms, then they are doing nothing illegal, and theoretically that person could tell the ATF to go take a flying leap (not that I would recommend telling them that).

If I won the lottery, I would be buying up firearms (and ammo) left and right (among other things), but I would first move to a state that didn't have private sale transfer laws.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top