JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Drunk or not, the kid was not following verbal instructions and continued up stairs. The threat was to Wilder's girlfriend and he fired to stop the threat, even fired a warning to get the kids attention. Justifiable shoot.

The "popular student-athlete and aspiring rapper" died of stupidity. He was falling down drunk and climbed in through a window of the wrong house. If a cop had shot him under the circumstances it would be a clean shoot.

Sounds like murder to me, especially under ORS.

Because he was shot in the back? He was walking up the stairs when the homeowner shot him, after repeatedly ordering him to leave.

The process of natural selection is brutal sometimes, too bad the kid broke the law and participated in underage drinking... They should pass a law against that, if it can save just one life! :rolleyes:

Raping someone because you were drunk... No excuse.

Killing someone because you were drunk... No excuse.

Robbing someone because you were drunk... No excuse.

Assaulting someone because you were drunk... No excuse.

Driving a car over two mothers because you were drunk... No excuse.

Entering into the wrong house because you were drunk... No excuse.

Voting for Obama because you were drunk... No excuse.

Nice to see most people are getting it from what I read in the comments. It is nice to see people getting tired of the "its not his fault" lines.

Because there was no immediate threat. Or at least from the article I couldn't recognize one.

So an intruder that may or may not be armed is headed up the stairs where your terrified family is hiding, and he refuses to respond to your commands to stop and leave the premises. No threat? Really?

Because there was no immediate threat. Or at least from the article I couldn't recognize one.

I don't know how often you deal with people that have an ALTERED LEVEL of CONSCIOUSNESS but I can tell you that you have NO idea what they are going to do. I deal with them on a weekly basis from diabetics to drugs to alcohol to plain old psychiatric problems. The minute you think you know what they are going to do you will find out you are wrong.

So an intruder that may or may not be armed is headed up the stairs where your terrified family is hiding, and he refuses to respond to your commands to stop and leave the premises. No threat? Really?

An old lady with alzheimer's enters your house through an unlocked door and proceeds upstairs without responding to commands. Assessment of threat is complicated, but
is required for the proper application of self-defence, and it defines the level of allowed force. Unless you're in Texas of course :D

An old lady with alzheimer's enters your house through an unlocked door and proceeds upstairs without responding to commands. Assessment of threat is complicated, but
is required for the proper application of self-defence, and it defines the level of allowed force. Unless you're in Texas of course :D

Seems a real disconnect..

I don't know how often you deal with people that have an ALTERED LEVEL of CONSCIOUSNESS but I can tell you that you have NO idea what they are going to do. I deal with them on a weekly basis from diabetics to drugs to alcohol to plain old psychiatric problems. The minute you think you know what they are going to do you will find out you are wrong.

It would be interesting to learn of a self-defence case where jury accepted the fact of being drunk, high or mentally ill alone as an indication of imminent deadly threat.
Otherwise I understand what you're saying.

Real disconnect is in the "shoot first" mentality. Apply it once inappropriately, and expose your family to a whole world of hurt. Not to mention
inability to be there for them when the real danger arises. Good luck!

NO, you break into my home you go out wearing a toe tag. Maybe you value your family less, I do NOT

It would be interesting to learn of a self-defence case where jury accepted the fact of being drunk, high or mentally ill alone as an indication of imminent deadly threat.
Otherwise I understand what you're saying.

Impossible since you never know for sure that "alone" is the issue until after the fact.

Your in my house, not following commands, in an altered state how do I KNOW that is all that is going on? I don't, so I have so go worst case situation because I will not be the one losing.

Impossible since you never know for sure that "alone" is the issue until after the fact.

Your in my house, not following commands, in an altered state how do I KNOW that is all that is going on? I don't, so I have so go worst case situation because I will not be the one losing.

All that matters is how a jury is going to look at it. If you're curious, look up some cases and see how they unrolled. Otherwise feel free to take your chances,
and remember that use of deadly force is most definitely a lose-lose situation, whether you are right or wrong.

Chances? How about you hesitation giving your family much less of a chance?

No, it's not lose/lose, that is folly, even legally. Do you live in NYC?

I thought he was a tall athletic male. A crazy guy walking up my stairs towards my family at 2am after warning him to stop might just have a weapon or be strong and crazy enough to strangle my kids before I can stop him. Should I wait until he's on top of my girlfriend before I take the shot? Sounds risky, I'm sorry, if I was armed I hope I would do the right thing quickly and not waste time 2nd guessing. Too bad the architect built all the houses the same, too bad his friend shoved him in the wrong window, too bad he was drinking underage. Too bad ABC news, too bad.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top