JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) — The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is investigating four shootings involving deer hunters on opening day.

A 40-year-old Edgar man was shot in the chest near the shoulder around 9 a.m. Saturday in the Marathon County town of Wien.

Sheriff's Lt. Dale Wisnewski says the wound was not life threatening. The DNR says a deer drive was involved.

The Wood County Sheriff's Department says about two hours earlier a hunter attempting to shoot a deer shot another hunter near Arpin. The Wausau Daily Herald reports that hunter was in serious condition Saturday.

In Door County, a hunter was hit in the thigh and a hunter was grazed in Marquette County.

The DNR says near ideal conditions across the state contributed to an active morning.

WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) — The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is investigating four shootings involving deer hunters on opening day.

A 40-year-old Edgar man was shot in the chest near the shoulder around 9 a.m. Saturday in the Marathon County town of Wien.

Sheriff's Lt. Dale Wisnewski says the wound was not life threatening. The DNR says a deer drive was involved.

The Wood County Sheriff's Department says about two hours earlier a hunter attempting to shoot a deer shot another hunter near Arpin. The Wausau Daily Herald reports that hunter was in serious condition Saturday.

In Door County, a hunter was hit in the thigh and a hunter was grazed in Marquette County.

The DNR says near ideal conditions across the state contributed to an active morning.

Shot in the chest and not life threatening? They must hunt with 25 acp. over there.:s0155:

I grew up in the midwest and deer hunting is not fun if you don't own land. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, I've hunted all three and all three suck.
Many, many hunters, many, many drunk hunters. Dangerous as heck to hunt public land. Fights start over tree stands, parking, hunting areas, who gets to claim the deer with 16 holes in it and looks like a package of hamburger with a nose and eyes. Azzwholes with radios listening to football games, others blasting squirrels, snowshoe hares, grouse, and anything that happens by. Litter and trash in the woods and along the roads. Oh yeah, and every year people get shot. Nope, not for me, I left.

I grew up in the midwest and deer hunting is not fun if you don't own land. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, I've hunted all three and all three suck.
Many, many hunters, many, many drunk hunters. Dangerous as heck to hunt public land. Fights start over tree stands, parking, hunting areas, who gets to claim the deer with 16 holes in it and looks like a package of hamburger with a nose and eyes. Azzwholes with radios listening to football games, others blasting squirrels, snowshoe hares, grouse, and anything that happens by. Litter and trash in the woods and along the roads. Oh yeah, and every year people get shot. Nope, not for me, I left.

Sorry to say I agree with much if not all of Reggie Dunlop's post. I lived in Minneapolis for a number of years and went deer hunting up around Hinckley, MN for a couple of seasons. I routinely heard guys shooting before legal shooting hours and ran across guys still hunting after legal hours after walking out from my stand. Some were trespassing on the landowners land I was hunting on, but I just kept walking as to confront them up in that area could cause a really dicey situation.

I would also not go bird hunting with my dog during deer season. Many times if guys were hunting deer and saw a dog and didn't see hunters with it they would shoot it because they thought it was or had been running deer.

Like Reggie and Cougfan, I grew up back there and hunted for many years in Wisconsin. We had family land of 200 acres, plus access to public land surrounding it that was inaccessible to others. As the years went by, we'd have "interlopers" who just didn't give a hoot about signs, rights, etc. On two different occasions I heard bullets going through trees over my head ( not a sound you'll misunderstand) and many other issues as well. Part of it is the season length - in Wisconsin the gun season is nine days from the Saturday before Thanksgiving to the Sunday after and you have something around 700,000 hunters chasing deer with a typical year's kill being between 100,000 and 200,000. Let's just say it's hard to enjoy any quiet time in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top