JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went out to Salmonberry today.. Drove to my usual spot which happened to be taken.. No big deal..
But I couldnt back up, the only way to turn around is to go around in the small circle pit area and then back out..
This drama queen of a man throws his hands up in the air and shrugs his shoulders..
like Im going to park there and start edging in on his space..

I then yell:
"gotta spin around cant back out"..

He then does the same over dramatic hands in the air shrug motion then calls his dog and hops in his car..

I of course turn around and went on my way..

But the princess didnt so much as say a single word.. Trying to act tough I guess. Probably a super tough super secret tier zero operator.

I mean I hate sidelers too..
You know, Folks who park right along side you at your
(rather confined) shooting spot and start to shoot with you and sometimes at YOUR targets.

And getting back to the OP topic:
He was dressed pretty fancy.. So odds are he left all his crap behind.
Guys like that dont pick up their messes.. The just pay someone to do it.
Many folks do on Salmonberry road just leave their crap..But it looks as if some real cool people cleaned up a little bit. I was impressed.

went to memaloose yesterday and the pit looks trashed as ever. idk if it was all the stuff hidden in the snow that built up but its a heavy carpet of debris. also the people who were there were being pretty rude (unusual for the pit) saying things like "you dont belong here" and "shoot somewhere else" (been going for 10 years atleased, not going to stop..) and laughing at me profusely. I was doing as usual and punching some paper targets minding direction and backstop and my own buisness.. idk what it was. I dont throw this out there alot but I felt like it was based on me being asian or somthing.. idk kindof disappointing. usually I meet like minded people out there who treat each other with respect.. hope its back to the usual when I go there next time.
That sucks man, thats why I try to not go alone during mid day/ night because thats when all the D-bag groups of guys come out. I go right at dawn (at my spot) and never have issues.

Went out to Salmonberry today.. Drove to my usual spot which happened to be taken.. No big deal..
But I couldnt back up, the only way to turn around is to go around in the small circle pit area and then back out..
This drama queen of a man throws his hands up in the air and shrugs his shoulders..
like Im going to park there and start edging in on his space..

I then yell:
"gotta spin around cant back out"..

He then does the same over dramatic hands in the air shrug motion then calls his dog and hops in his car..

I of course turn around and went on my way..

But the princess didnt so much as say a single word.. Trying to act tough I guess. Probably a super tough super secret tier zero operator.

I mean I hate sidelers too..
You know, Folks who park right along side you at your
(rather confined) shooting spot and start to shoot with you and sometimes at YOUR targets.

And getting back to the OP topic:
He was dressed pretty fancy.. So odds are he left all his crap behind.
Guys like that dont pick up their messes.. The just pay someone to do it.
Many folks do on Salmonberry road just leave their crap..But it looks as if some real cool people cleaned up a little bit. I was impressed.

I was there too as well this morning. It was rather busy so I pulled in on a young couple shooting the first area on the left and asked if I may join. Having AR500 targets they obliged. In my presence they collected their targets. Would they have if I wasn't there? It was around 9 when I got there or a little after. I stayed till 12:30ish. A family joined me around 11 till 11:45. Once they saw I had a huge 3mil garbage bag out they to grabbed a few bags out of their car and cleaned up a bunch of shot shell and such.

I did my best to clear out as many cans and bottles as I could fit in my bag. As well as some of the fiber board and other items.

I'm waiting for that spot to dry up a little more than I'll go at it with a rake and collect the shot shells lying around.

Seems like the only cases around anymore are .22, or Steel. If you're going to pick up your brass....Pick up your damned steel too. And shotshell hulls...I've about come to the conclusion, when I see someone with a shotgun, they're a slob.

Jack...:(

This is pretty much why I don't go shooting out in the boonies (non-official ranges) anymore; I don't want to be associated with the messes found out there.

And it isn't just the shooters - I live on a mostly forested mountain and people think they can just dump crap over the edge of the road pretty much anywhere. I see it all the time. I even see it in town sometimes.

I shoot 1 gallon jugs of water and .458 brass is too pricey to leave laying around. The empty jugs go into a large trash bag. Shooting from a rest, I have one of those collapsible nylon laundry hampers. Open it up along side me and it catches everything, even the 9mm. :)

Jack...:cool:

next time im up there ill bring a friend, some rakes and trash bags and rake out as much as we can fit. seems like a pretty cheap fee to reliably go shooting. I hike the memaloose/hillockburn area a lot and already pick up what i find(never more then a shopping bags worth though). especially down in the valley along the s.clackamas and memaloose creek.

I shoot 1 gallon jugs of water and .458 brass is too pricey to leave laying around. The empty jugs go into a large trash bag. Shooting from a rest, I have one of those collapsible nylon laundry hampers. Open it up along side me and it catches everything, even the 9mm. :)

Seriously, thats a fantastic idea!
Why on earth didn't I think of that.

I have a hamper like that and have no idea why it never crossed my mind to use it to catch my spent rounds. I will now. Thanks for the tip.
I always lay a tarp and try to get most everything on there but pick up the rest with a garbage bag....The rest being other peoples cans, garbage, all kinds of crap since I bring clays, metal targets, and charcoal to shoot at so I do not leave any non biodegradable crap around.

I have used a cardboard box with a slot cut out of the top for a a long time. Both at the range and on a truck hood, the opening in the box sits parallel to the ejection port. Once in a while one bounces out of the box onto your arm but, heck, they're down to a couple hundred degrees by then!
I have seen everything mentioned in this thread about slob shooters and rude or intimidating shooters over the years. That's why I haven't shot in the woods for a long time.

Oh Yeah! I forgot stupid and dangerous shooters!

Oh Wow! The senility is getting deep here! I see I posted the same rant back in Oct 2013! Sorry!

Last Edited:
I've been screwing around with the leg from a worn-out pair of jeans and a coat hanger to hang it off the gun. I never have gotten it to work much better than those store-bought rigs. I think I'll go with the cardboard box.

Seems like the only cases around anymore are .22, or Steel. If you're going to pick up your brass....Pick up your damned steel too. And shotshell hulls...I've about come to the conclusion, when I see someone with a shotgun, they're a slob.
I usually bring a magnet to deal with the huge amount of shotgun shells and steel casings. Fill up a good portion of a bag with those and general litter everytime.

Jack...:(

Now there's an idea I'm going to have to try. I've got a couple things that attempt to throw brass into different zip codes.

I have used a cardboard box with a slot cut out of the top for a a long time. Both at the range and on a truck hood, the opening in the box sits parallel to the ejection port. Once in a while one bounces out of the box onto your arm but, heck, they're down to a couple hundred degrees by then!
I have seen everything mentioned in this thread about slob shooters and rude or intimidating shooters over the years. That's why I haven't shot in the woods for a long time.

Oh Yeah! I forgot stupid and dangerous shooters!

Oh Wow! The senility is getting deep here! I see I posted the same rant back in Oct 2013! Sorry!

Not senility, just some helpful positive reinforcement.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top