JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We, as gun owners, have a responsibility to take care of the public lands where we shoot. That means if you packed it in, pack it back out. There was a stark contrast to this pile of styrofoam as back at the line, someone had gone to great effort to collect a huge amount of trash to be taken away. Then some clown shows up with a 'screw everyone' attitude and gives the rest of us a bad name. Don't be 'that guy'.

Video Link

I always bring a couple garbage bags with me and take out a whole lot more than I brought in. I don't get why shooters would leave crap behind when we all know we're under such intense scrutiny.

I clean up my shells and brass when I'm done shooting, Leave it the way you found it or better. I always leave it cleaner than I found it.

This is the ethics I practice in everything I do from yard work and construction projects, to camping, fishing, and hunting. If it didn't grow there naturally... PICK IT UP!!

I swung by Memaloose rock quarry on Sept. 28th after I bagged a forked horn buck, and WHOAAA!!!! What a flippin' pig pen!!

[/B]

This is the ethics I practice in everything I do from yard work and construction projects, to camping, fishing, and hunting. If it didn't grow there naturally... PICK IT UP!!

I swung by Memaloose rock quarry on Sept. 28th after I bagged a forked horn buck, and WHOAAA!!!! What a flippin' pig pen!!
Yes, it's been bad for a while. Some of us did a cleanup earlier this year but just scratched the surface. I always try to take a couple large garbage bags out every time I go out.

I'm thinking about testing a wheeled magnet on shotgun hulls.

I also fill and cart a couple bags of other people's crap when I shoot. Here's why...

I grew up in Portland and came back in 2002. In between, I spent a quarter century shooting in and around San Diego County. There's very little "civilization" beyond where water service gets expensive. Thousands of miles of beautiful open desert, lakes, streams, highways and 4WD mountain fire roads to the east. Mecca. But all of my favorite spots got closed, one after another.

And they didn't give way to subdivisions, Subways and Jiffy Lubes.

Nope! Every place where I used to shoot eventually became a garbage heap, sealed off with police tape and barbed wire. Seeing an identical trend here makes me sick to my stomach.

^^^ Yeah Teflon, if you had stayed in PDX you would have seen the same crap here. Pigs are universal and I swear some of them enjoy sCRewin' up anything nice!

Not leaving an area cleaner than you found it for me has an even bigger impact than visual. I can't wander to far from the truck any more and have witnessed hundreds of road closures mainly over the last ten to fifteen years. Nearly all the places I've hunted and fished from the fifties to the seventies, one by one are now closed to vehicals and essentially denying me access. If I live long enough, I fully expect some day you will only be able drive by all the gated or burmed up access roads and reminiss about good times past. Keep your house in order or you will lose it. Once big brother carves it on the tablet it will never be erased.

Start taking pictures of their license plates and targets when you drive past. Then if/when youre done shooting and they've left their junk there report them.

Ill be that clean up guy on salmonberry road. Im sick of city guys and 18 year old punks dumping crap everywhere.

I'll be the first to admit I enjoy blowing stuff up - Jugs filled with water, Ketchup bottles, half full propane bottles, etc

It just isn't that hard to put all your crap in a garbage bag and take it back out.

What pisses me off is shooting at glass bottles. Like foam, there is no way you can pick it up.

It is nothing new, I can remember in the 60's going shooting at Larch Mt. and seeing the garbage and shot up road signs even then. I always picked up after myself and a little more. I finally settled on carrying two large tarps with me, one canvas one plastic. The canvas one for where I am shooting from and the plastic one under the target area. When I am done I carefully fold the tarps and their contents and take them home. What also works is shooting targets that are natural and will decompose, things like rotten fruits and vegetables and at this time of the year, PUMPKINS. Or better yet get some swinging and reactive metal targets that you take with you to the shooting area, set up, shoot and take down and take with you when you leave. I could never get the thinking of people who would haul fridges, stoves, tv's, and all the other assorted crap up the mountain to shoot, of course probably the original idea was just to dump the stuff, then they figure why not have some trailer trash fun and blow the heck out of it at the same time. These people have no morals who do this IMO.

It is nothing new, I can remember in the 60's going shooting at Larch Mt. and seeing the garbage and shot up road signs even then. I always picked up after myself and a little more. I finally settled on carrying two large tarps with me, one canvas one plastic. The canvas one for where I am shooting from and the plastic one under the target area. When I am done I carefully fold the tarps and their contents and take them home. What also works is shooting targets that are natural and will decompose, things like rotten fruits and vegetables and at this time of the year, PUMPKINS. Or better yet get some swinging and reactive metal targets that you take with you to the shooting area, set up, shoot and take down and take with you when you leave. I could never get the thinking of people who would haul fridges, stoves, tv's, and all the other assorted crap up the mountain to shoot, of course probably the original idea was just to dump the stuff, then they figure why not have some trailer trash fun and blow the heck out of it at the same time. These people have no morals who do this IMO.

One of the best target suggestions I got from this board was ice. Freeze a block and take it with you.

Ice is great. I suggest non easy light Charcoal as it does not have lighter fluid and is non harmful and a good shot to it just puts it up into a puff of smoke. Great .22 practice at a distance or up closer with your pistol. You know you hit with that little cloud of charcoal dust that it turns into.

A shovel isn't a bad idea. Pair that with a rake and you could make short work of spent shell casings. In Casa Grande AZ they have nice a public range, gotta love AZ, just outside of town something I dearly wish we had here.

Ditto! Larch Mtn was a terrific place to shoot in the early sixtys. By the early seventys it was all dumps! Trees shot back yards from the original tree line, cars and appliances everywhere, then closed!

PS I am a big fan of steel targets. Spinners, spring loaded flippers and even simple gongs are reactive enough for me. I also used a mid sized cardboard box with a large hole cut into the top. We usually shot off of the hood and just positioned the box so the firearm spit most of the brass into the opening. Made policing up the brass easy and kept it clean too.

went to memaloose yesterday and the pit looks trashed as ever. idk if it was all the stuff hidden in the snow that built up but its a heavy carpet of debris. also the people who were there were being pretty rude (unusual for the pit) saying things like "you dont belong here" and "shoot somewhere else" (been going for 10 years atleased, not going to stop..) and laughing at me profusely. I was doing as usual and punching some paper targets minding direction and backstop and my own buisness.. idk what it was. I dont throw this out there alot but I felt like it was based on me being asian or somthing.. idk kindof disappointing. usually I meet like minded people out there who treat each other with respect.. hope its back to the usual when I go there next time.

Yeah, those guys can go F themselves. Bring some friends with you next time. That kind of thing shouldn't happen and it's sad that it still does, but if you have friends, you have strength of numbers and witnesses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top