JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
... from a stuck cartridge remover...

OK so I wasn't thinking when I pulled the lever on the press without having lubed the case. I never have stuck a case. Ever. Not going to happen to me.

Well. It stuck.

So easy fix, turn the die 90* and try again.

Nope, more of the rim ripped off.

OK disassemble the die and then try to push case out.

Nope ball expander stuck. Not coming out.

OK off to Sportsman's to get a stuck case removal tool (RCBS) $20. Cheaper than a new die.

Come home, get the die in the vise and drill the hole carefully so as not to hit the decapping pin and ball expander caught in the case. OK.

Tap the case to accept the machine screw. OK

Place the metal cap over the die and use the hex wrench to screw the machine screw into the case pulling case out. OK.

Now... how do you unscrew the damned case from the screw? Well It took half an hour, but if you cannot get it off the screw, try holding it in the fire of a stove burner to expand the brass and then work the screw till it comes out.

<sigh>

Don't know what this "Spacer" is you're talking about. Next time use a socket that will butt up against the die, put a washer under your bolt and suck the case up into the socket.:D
$20.00 for a case puller...:eek: You really only need, a drill. a tap, a bolt, a socket and a washer. :p

.223's are delicate, but you'll cry if you rip the rim off of a .458S at .85 cents ea.

$20.00 for a case puller...:eek: You really only need, a drill. a tap, a bolt, a socket and a washer.

Drill Bit:$4 (Home Depot)
Tap: $6 (Home Depot)
Screw: $.25 (Home Depot)
7/8" socket: $3 (Home Depot)

$13.50 and I have to go to Home Depot or $20 and I get to go to Sportsman's Warehouse and everything fits without me going home to find out something isn't the right size. Worth the $6.50 just to avoid Home Depot.

Open the drawer, take out the socket, electric drill, drill bit and tap, on the bench is a 1/4 x 24 x1" bolt and a washer. ;) Remember to trim your cases and use an FTC Die. :D

Not making fun of you. I can still remember a two bedroom apartment with a tool bench in one bedroom.:eek:

OK, so just as follow up. It appears that you actually need to use the right shell holder on these suckers... I think that may help now that I have torn off three rims...

BTW, Its the tap that got me. $6 premium is worth it not to go to HD and put it together.

Before I learned that trick, I ended up sending a die back to RCBS. They removed the case for free and sent me back my die (it may have been a new one). Since then I've stuck a few more, cuss, pull them out and try not to get in a hurry. Like I said, when I ruin a .458S it makes me cry.:(:(:(:(

... from a stuck cartridge remover...

OK so I wasn't thinking when I pulled the lever on the press without having lubed the case. I never have stuck a case. Ever. Not going to happen to me.

Well. It stuck.

So easy fix, turn the die 90* and try again.

Nope, more of the rim ripped off.

OK disassemble the die and then try to push case out.

Nope ball expander stuck. Not coming out.

OK off to Sportsman's to get a stuck case removal tool (RCBS) $20. Cheaper than a new die.

Come home, get the die in the vise and drill the hole carefully so as not to hit the decapping pin and ball expander caught in the case. OK.

Tap the case to accept the machine screw. OK

Place the metal cap over the die and use the hex wrench to screw the machine screw into the case pulling case out. OK.

Now... how do you unscrew the damned case from the screw? Well It took half an hour, but if you cannot get it off the screw, try holding it in the fire of a stove burner to expand the brass and then work the screw till it comes out.

<sigh>

A little oil on the screw helps. :) But then I would nothing about stuck brass. :eek:

OK, so just as follow up. It appears that you actually need to use the right shell holder on these suckers... I think that may help now that I have torn off three rims...

BTW, Its the tap that got me. $6 premium is worth it not to go to HD and put it together.
Lol. I was going to bring that up but didn't.

th?&id=OIP.Mf7c3c1fecdcc48f28bb118abee200f14H0&w=300&h=233&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top