JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine, but their searches must be based on Google or something. I was looking for bullets and the hits just seemed inadequate somehow. Got some, but mostly big box retailers. I kept thinking, this is it for the whole country? Just didn't make sense. Then I remembered hearing about Startpage.com. Used them to search and lo and behold, got a whole bunch more hits from my search, mostly from smaller mom-pop type outfits that apparently don't make it past DuckDuckGo/Google. Bit of an eye opener.

I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine, but their searches must be based on Google or something. I was looking for bullets and the hits just seemed inadequate somehow. Got some, but mostly big box retailers. I kept thinking, this is it for the whole country? Just didn't make sense. Then I remembered hearing about Startpage.com. Used them to search and lo and behold, got a whole bunch more hits from my search, mostly from smaller mom-pop type outfits that apparently don't make it past DuckDuckGo/Google. Bit of an eye opener.
200.gif

I've never used google for shopping. I remember browsing that feature it years back and there seemed to be ZERO effort to filter out scammers. It was really bad. So I never even looked at it again. No need to.

Before the resurrection and when this thread was buried, DuckDuckGo was used for less than 1.8 million searches per day. Now there are well over 100 million searches per day, so it is kinda a revival post. :rolleyes:

Old thread or no, I was completely unaware of a Google shopping thing. We have Google as our preferred browser, but I've remained blissfully unaware of the shopping feature. I took a quick look at it a few minutes ago, it doesn't look like it's for me anyway. Too many cheap, soft goods. I suppose some people just cruise around such sites, looking for ways to waste their money. When I buy online, it's for very specific needs so I go to sites that are more apt to have what I want. For example, you won't find me looking at an auction site like Poshmark. It's mostly clothing, and then, mostly women's stuff.

For the same reason, there are some retail stores that I steer clear of. I call them, "Women's Stores." Here I must quickly add that I have nothing against women. In fact, I like women and have for a long time. But I don't like shopping in stores that are set up for predominantly female customers. Like Kohl's, for example. I once bought a very nice Jerry Garcia necktie in Kohl's, but that was a rare exception.

Kohn's is good for cheap interview clothes when your old interview clothes shrank a size or two!
That reminds me of one of my (kinda) war stories. I'd just gotten out of the army from Vietnam. 1972. I wanted to take a little time off to catch up. In the meantime, I signed up with the state for unemployment benefits. Which requires that you be actively looking for work (or at least pretending), and will interview for any referrals that their office lines up. Needless to say, I wasn't really interested in work at that moment. So the state office calls, they have an interview for me. As a dispatcher for truck drivers in the harbor. Not wanting this job or any job, I went in for the interview in a dirty Tee shirt and unshaven. When asked, I answered questions with a monosyllabic grunt. The deal was, they wanted me to sit at a dispatch window wearing a sportscoat and tie in order to deal with truck drivers, for $2.75 an hour. I wasn't hired.

I later thought, "Those rotten dicks at the trucking company. They are too cheap to place want ads, so they get referrals from the state unemployment office. Which sends captives down for interviews who can be low-balled into a job and to boot, are made to wear a tie for a low wage. It sucked.

Before the resurrection and when this thread was buried, DuckDuckGo was used for less than 1.8 million searches per day. Now there are well over 100 million searches per day, so it is kinda a revival post. :rolleyes:
I switched from DuckDuckGo to Startpage because I read somewhere the Duck was collecting marketing info and or using Bings search engine.

I see that the shopping tab in Google is still censoring AR 15...

I use Bing for nearly all my internet viewing. And Bing regularly gives me articles and videos as well as ads about guns and ammo. It seems to be perfectly happy to indulge my interest in guns. It lets me use gunbroker, Midway, Sw, Ruger, buffalo bore underwood, federal, Winchester, CZ, etc. I recently bought a shotgun on Gunbroker via Bing. No problems. If anything Bing appears to be elated that its finally found a kind of ad I actually click on occasionally. Its been sending me a steady diet of ads on shotgun ammo. It certainly has nothing against gun related material.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top