JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have another upper coming in monday, I hope, in 223 wylde. Not even excited anymore, been eyeballing 35 legend and 50 beowulf. Either one would be better for dangerous game than 223. The thought of a fifty in an ar platform makes me giggle a bit. The only trouble is the limited capacity. The upside is 300 grain bullets and 45/70 (ish) ballistics! The 35 legend seems to be a 357max built for an autoloader only hotter, another giggler. The upside is more capacity.
the downside is ammo cost on either one, definitely not plinkers. I would have to reload for either one.
For a backwoods alaska adventure defensive rifle either would be sufficient.
just can't decide.
any input would help.

458 socom made the most sense for me as I already had many .458 projectiles for reloading. I have found the 458 socom to be very versatile and easy to load for. You can load it within spitting distance of the 45/70 with heavy cast wfn bullets for serious work or with light target loads for the range. I have also loaded 500 gr Maker subsonic expanding bullets for it and taken a deer with mine and it performed great with a drt result. As always I recommend Tromix for all things 458 socom as he is one of the original developers and has the correct reamer for chambering the barrels. Many of the cheaper options use reverse engineering for their reamers. 98B3256D-E63C-477C-A297-C2EB57F43D2B.jpeg

8E049B69-36EE-4CED-AB53-C470848D4EA2.jpeg

458 socom made the most sense for me as I already had many .458 projectiles for reloading. I have found the 458 socom to be very versatile and easy to load for. You can load it within spitting distance of the 45/70 with heavy cast wfn bullets for serious work or with light target loads for the range. I have also loaded 500 gr Maker subsonic expanding bullets for it and taken a deer with mine and it performed great with a drt result. As always I recommend Tromix for all things 458 socom as he is one of the original developers and has the correct reamer for chambering the barrels. Many of the cheaper options use reverse engineering for their reamers. View attachment 675897

View attachment 675894
Nice buck! Did you shoot that thing in your backyard?!? The grass looks suspiciously mowed...

I second .458 Socom. I love mine, puts a smile on my face and really bounces the steel gong. Of course, I have always found 5.56 pretty boring. 10 round in standard GI or Lancer mags. 50 rounds weighs a hilarious huge amount. I load my own, 300 grain @ 1810fps.

He'd also have that first 15 rounds down his snout.... he'd be a little itchy. ;)
And just a little peeved. Just think, you would be part of that whole "circle of life" thing. Nourishing the bear, fertilizing the trees. I wouldn't trust my life to a varmit cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews