JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ever thought of something local? Maybe a church?

I do some contract marketing for several non profits. One of them is a guy that offers the prayer and in charge of their "faith relations" at their monthly meetings and events, called me out in a group e mail for being self rightous, arrogant (thank you), condescending, and incompetent. Bad move on his part, since I turned it around on him big time.

This is what is wrong with most organized religions, two faced a**holes like this in church every Sunday so everybody can see him, then slamming people and chasing the town ho's around drunk on his arse most nights.

There is a group that builds free homes for disabled veterans that I will be giving too this year. I also prefer to also give that old veteran who needs it, or giving or my time since I have more time than cash. A lot of non profits are just that in name only since a lot are vehicles for the " founders" and "directors" to take enormous salaries for not doing a whole lot.

Good post. I have the same problem.
Donated one year with some friends to a family that was in need. We had food, gifts for all the names we got. We went to take the stuff to the house and when we walked inside they had a big screen tv, kids plying video game. Just pissed me off.
Makes it hard to trust people.
Now I try to find someone I work with or know that needs a little help.
Hard part is finding a way to do it without them knowing.

Here is my list of charities that I try to give to, at least annually, some monthly (in a lot of ways small monthly is better than one big annual, for them and you).

Oregon Food Bank
Oregon Humane Society
Dove Lewis Animal Hospital
Best Friends Society
Pongo Fund
Family Dogs New Life Shelter
Panda Paws Rescue
The Grey Muzzle Organization
Medical Teams International
Plan USA
Providence Child Center Foundation
Over the Rainbow Association
The Fisher House
Special Operations Warrior Foundation
Wounded Warriors
The Forest Park Conservancy
Tall Ships America
Trailkeepers of Oregon

I agree with clearconscience, that random acts of kindness, are a great way to go, but require a lot more effort to validate the worthiness. I have given up trying to help the folks you see on the side of the road. It seems these days it is really hard to tell the genuinely deserving needy from the loafers, these days I try to leave that judgement to the organizations that target those groups.

I did get lucky with this recently though, I met a young couple, they aren't really struggling, just young and starting out, but he is a recently released marine veteran with PTSD. They had just bought a small sailboat but hadn't sailed before, I have been trying to mentor them a little, and will hopefully be able to help out with some repairs for the boat. I know from personal experience that sailing is a great way to re-focus after coming home.

These are 2 Veterans Charities I donate to:

http://www.horsesforheroes.org/

100% of donations go toward helping Veterans with PTSD. No cost to Veterans who qualify for program. Totally private, non profit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://redcirclefoundation.org/

Helps the families of fallen soldiers. Founded by former Navy Seal Brandon Webb.

These are just a couple of awesome Veterans Charities out there. Just do your homework before donating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell..........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top