JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Normally every year I give $1,000 + to some worthy cause or a portion of that to multiple causes, along with multiple cases of food.

But this year, as was the case last year, I'm having a really tough time finding a "WORTHY" place (or places) to donate.

It seems there are too many Non-Profits, many who are employing a lot of people and paying their wages. These non-profits give to each other to keep their non-profit status alive.

There are food banks everywhere, so there is really no excuse for going hungry. I don't expect to donate "People food" this year, but can't even find a worthwhile place to donate my canned , "time to rotate", food.

Anyone have any ideas?

I lean towards animal sanctuaries/rescue places, but not opposed to other ideas.

I'm in the Medford area, and prefer to keep my donations local....but not opposed to sending donations to ANY WORTHY, and the key word is "WORTHY" organization anywhere.

Thanks.:):):):):)

The Ben Towne foundation is my favorite non-profit. They specialize in childhood cancer research with 100% of donations going to research. Its not local to you but is located in Seattle so its still local to the PNW.

bentownefoundation.org

Be very careful if you are considering donations to the SPCA . . . I understand that nationally they oppose anyone owning pets and they are anti-hunting. A local animal shelter may be OK.

Sheldon

I always like the idea of giving extra large tips to servers who really deserve it.
Or finding older vietnam vets/ or WW2 vets and give to them.
I love when I see an older couple in a restaurant and paying for their meal in secret.
Even seeing someone down on their luck having a rough time in life and helping them out.
Not homeless people, i hate hem, but someone who really deserves it.
Maybe someone your kids or grandkids have in their class who isn't as privilaged but has good parents and is a good kid. Buying them a shopping spree so their kds can have some nice "cool" clothes.

I always like the idea of giving extra large tips to servers who really deserve it.
Or finding older vietnam vets/ or WW2 vets and give to them.
I love when I see an older couple in a restaurant and paying for their meal in secret.
Even seeing someone down on their luck having a rough time in life and helping them out.
Not homeless people, i hate hem, but someone who really deserves it.
Maybe someone your kids or grandkids have in their class who isn't as privilaged but has good parents and is a good kid. Buying them a shopping spree so their kds can have some nice "cool" clothes.

DAYUM!!! It's like I posted this via a ghost writer! :s0094:

On that note Doernbecker Children's Hospital is a worthy donation, and we drop a wad there each year. :s0155:

I usually lean towards veteran charities because I feel a bit ashamed I didn't serve and know what BS treatment they come home to, and especially for vietnam vets. The treatment they got from the public upon returning really makes me sick.

You can even go to the VA or vets posts VFW or something and find a vet that needs help. I like going straight to the source if possible

I usually lean towards veteran charities because I feel a bit ashamed I didn't serve and know what BS treatment they come home to, and especially for vietnam vets. The treatment they got from the public upon returning really makes me sick.

You can even go to the VA or vets posts VFW or something and find a vet that needs help. I like going straight to the source if possible

Have a good friend who does a lot of work for the Vets. He got me to donate a brick of 22 lr to add to a 1022 they were raffleing off to help wounded vets. Sad to see our government doesn't support those who sacrifice so mucho_O

Normally every year I give $1,000 + to some worthy cause or a portion of that to multiple causes, along with multiple cases of food.

But this year, as was the case last year, I'm having a really tough time finding a "WORTHY" place (or places) to donate.

It seems there are too many Non-Profits, many who are employing a lot of people and paying their wages. These non-profits give to each other to keep their non-profit status alive.

There are food banks everywhere, so there is really no excuse for going hungry. I don't expect to donate "People food" this year, but can't even find a worthwhile place to donate my canned , "time to rotate", food.

Anyone have any ideas?

I lean towards animal sanctuaries/rescue places, but not opposed to other ideas.

I'm in the Medford area, and prefer to keep my donations local....but not opposed to sending donations to ANY WORTHY, and the key word is "WORTHY" organization anywhere.

Thanks.:):):):):)

I used to donate the the American Red Cross foundation every month...until they started teaching the Taliban how to perform First Aid.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/25/red-cross-gives-aid-training-afghanistans-taliban/

So good luck with that...your heart is in the right place.

Last charity I donated to was the Wounded Warrior Foundation...even got some of my co-workers to pitch in.

Didn't the Wounded Warrior Foundation turn down donations from pro 2d Amendment groups or a gun club or some such?? I'm a little hazy on the details but as I remember it was about a year ago.

Sheldon

Didn't the Wounded Warrior Foundation turn down donations from pro 2d Amendment groups or a gun club or some such?? I'm a little hazy on the details but as I remember it was about a year ago.

Sheldon

They asked that their fliers be removed from gun shows and anything gun related...but after a lot of backlash they retracted their anti-gun stance. They just don't want to be associated with alcohol or sexual stuff now.

<broken link removed>

When organizing a fundraiser or event to benefit WWP), please bear in mind WWP fundraisers cannot be sexual or political in nature and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands.

Back in 2012 this used to say just tobacco and alcohol...in 2010 it said no gun stuff.

Lots of good ideas here.
Thanks.:D:D:D

The only one I will NOT consider is one of the largest.
United Way.:mad:

I used to HATE IT when they would come to my J O B and almost BULLY us into donating 10% of our paycheck to them.:mad:

I refused a few times over the years. Bosses don't like it when you are the only one in the bank who doesn't donateo_O:confused::(.

Thanks again.

This year I am leaning towards a smaller organization, one without a "Marketing director"......you know what I mean.

Like "Marys Horse Rescue and Quick Change Lube".....or......"Billy Bob's Cheap Divorce Service and Anchor Factory".....
:)

But PLEASE, don't hesitate to suggest anyone.
:D

I will be doing my "due diligence" in a week or 2.
:)

Thanks again:)

Well it is tough when so many vets have PTSD and some have suicidal thoughts to be around firearms. Maybe that had something to do with it, maybe not.

You would think that would be their greatest source of donations.

Yeah I almost never give to actual charities anymore.

I refuse to give money to the NRA.

I'm a big fan of random acts of kindness.
Helping people in need, helping someone by doing something for them not just money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top