JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
Can we please implement a policy in the classified section to limit number of ads or at least number of ads on the front page?
Several members consistently have five or more ads all separate, all bumped at the same time, in multiple sections.

Don't get me wrong, I love using the classified sections and don't want to restrict them too much, but it's obnoxious when you bump an ad and a few hour laters it's been pushed all the way down because certain members can't combine ads.

Wouldn't it be possible to say no more than two ads in any section at one time? It would encourage people to combine ads, and remind them to close them when items sell.

Okay off my rant.

If Sam Snuffy has ads for :
A Colt pistol
A S&W Revolver
A AR pistol
Along with:
A Winchester rifle
A Marlin rifle
And a AR type rifle
That is six ads...and can bump a lot of other peoples ads...
While it may not be against the rules...it might be more polite to the other members to combine the items...
Andy

Upvote 0
If Sam Snuffy has ads for :
A Colt pistol
A S&W Revolver
A AR pistol
Along with:
A Winchester rifle
A Marlin rifle
And a AR type rifle
That is six ads...and can bump a lot of other peoples ads...
While it may not be against the rules...it might be more polite to the other members to combine your items...
Andy

Yeah, I see that. But each piece has its own target audience, and again then it requires lots of edits and title edits if and when any one piece sells. Makes a mess of a thread, TBH.

Upvote 0
Handguns for sale:
A
B
C
Then if one sells ...yeah you will have to edit...
I get that it would be some work...
But I'd rather have to do that than see a truck load of ads from the same person for similar items all at once...
Andy

Upvote 0
I'm not looking for a set of hard and fast rules that are enforced with the mighty ban hammer.

Maybe a suggested code of conduct? Maybe see if people will police themselves? I understand there isn't a magical bit of code that can be written and the mods don't have time to police everything. But damn.

@Kruejl, you speak of the classifieds being a big membership driver and a positive part of the site. I agree.
But I feel like some of the abuses (at least in my opinion) with that many ads is a turn-off. Not something I'd be excited to see as a new member. Lots of new ads? Great! Ten plus ads by the same member in the same section bumped all at once? Not so much.

I've spoken my piece and understand that this isn't going to change. I know I've discussed this with mods in private. I've had my five minutes on the soapbox, so I'm done beating the dead horse...

:s0013:

Upvote 0
Handguns for sale:
A
B
C
Then if one sells ...yeah you will have to edit...
I get that it would be some work...
But I'd rather have to do that than see a truck load of ads from the same person for similar items all at once...
Andy

It's not the work, it the general idea that maybe a member doesn't want to sell their 1911 with their AR pistol. Don't forget that thread titles are limited to the number of characters....

WTS: Colt 1911, AR pistol in 9mm and Smith .44 mag

OR....

WTS: Rare Colt 1911A1 US Army Stamped in PERFECT condition
WTS: 9mm AR pistol with KAK shockwave, Vortex Sparc AR and lots of mags!
WTS: Smith and Wesson 629 .44 Magnum with trigger job and 3 speedloaders.

Makes sense now?

Upvote 0
Kinda like how people aren't supposed to list an ad as:

WTS OR: and WA too blah blah blah

We fight that daily, the point of the tag is to state where the item is located, not where the seller is willing to do business.

Upvote 0
Well we do have a rule regarding this although it is vague ......
Similar category items should be grouped together in one thread
To avoid drawing negative attention for front page spam, similar items should be grouped into one thread. For example, one should not create multiple threads for each box of ammunition they have for sale.

This has been an ongoing issue and has been brought up many times. I agree that if you have ammo to sell it should all be in the same ad as should rifles, shotguns, pistols etc. The title of the thread is somewhat of an issue now that members can not edit it themselves like in the past. But the body of the ad can easily be edited as items are sold or added. The title just creates a little more work for moderators to edit upon being asked.

Ultimately it is Joe's decision based on software capability and feedback from members. We are due for an update on the site I believe but what that will support I do not know.

If the rule were clearer on this issue it may help but I think the "how to use the classifieds" and the rules for them should be easier to see/find as well. This is something the staff needs to address in the appropriate section and not here.

Upvote 0
What I would like to see is a new Content button next to the "new" so when I want to come see whats up I can look at what folks actually like to say without sorting through 50 classified listings, 48 of which I have seen before.

I understand the classifieds are a big part of the site but personally I would just as soon not see them at all in the "new" section.
Yes!

Upvote 0
A quick look at the ammo section and I can see what the OP is talking about... That is a bit rediculous, and it makes no sense!

As a prospective buyer I'd rather click on one post with similar items and shop from the same page anyway. clicking from ad to ad takes more time to load and can get confusing.

As a seller it's a lot easier to list it in one ad...
If you're selling multiple high dollar items... especially firearms...sure different ads make great sense.
stuff like ammo, gun parts, and other small, low ticket items... not so much.

Upvote 0
No, Jim. But if you have ten ammo ads, with similar types of ammo, why can't you combine them down to maybe two? If you are selling seven or eight rifles or pistols, why can't you combine them down to a couple.

I think you are getting fairly absurd with your retort Jim. Please reread the original post and the suggestion I made.

I possibly didn't read it all since the comment about more regulations hit a nerve.
I apologize for my response.
Jim Sr.

Upvote 0
Can we please implement a policy in the classified section to limit number of ads or at least number of ads on the front page?
Several members consistently have five or more ads all separate, all bumped at the same time, in multiple sections.

Don't get me wrong, I love using the classified sections and don't want to restrict them too much, but it's obnoxious when you bump an ad and a few hour laters it's been pushed all the way down because certain members can't combine ads.

Wouldn't it be possible to say no more than two ads in any section at one time? It would encourage people to combine ads, and remind them to close them when items sell.

Okay off my rant.
I've seen people take up the whole page with a bunch of ads, each of which is selling a single pound of powder etc.
come on, man

Upvote 0
What I would like to see is a new Content button next to the "new" so when I want to come see whats up I can look at what folks actually like to say without sorting through 50 classified listings, 48 of which I have seen before.

I understand the classifieds are a big part of the site but personally I would just as soon not see them at all in the "new" section.

This. A new 'tab' for non-classified threads would solve the issue IMO.

I don't mind the classifieds myself, in fact, I am pretty much addicted to them - although I need to cut back or I am going to run out of cash soon.

Bumping them - I have come across some good deals when something gets bumped I didn't know was there. Maybe ask people to be a little more conscientious about bumping? But again, the separate tabs for 'content' vs. classifieds would solve that to a major degree as you can only bump about once a week IIRC.

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads