JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preference for your defensive handgun?

• $$$. Top of the line

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • $$. Midrange

Votes: 85 75.9%
  • $. Low end

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who gives a rat's bubblegum what your carry gun costs? Assuming you haven't mortgaged your house to buy it, you're GTG if it is taken for a few weeks.

I carry Sigs more often than not, not because they're cheap :D, but because I like using them. If I wanted to plunk down the cash for a WC, I would.

When I go to the range and want to plink, I'll pull out my carry gun because it's fun to shoot for me.

This encourages me to practice with my EDC piece and I get much more trigger time because of it.

As a community, or maybe even our species, we get fixated on one spec instead of looking at the entire picture. If you've picked your handgun because it was the cheapest gun you could find just so you can replace it tomorrow, you may have made a bad choice.

Reliability, concealbility(only if concealing), your ability to shoot it, caliber, capacity, cool factor, and price must all be weighed against each other, in that order, for me.

For me, that blend turns into a Sig. For others it may be a Glock. All I can say to those people is you should have stayed in school. :eek::D

In addition it's so bubbleguming rare to need a handgun for SD that if you needed one again within a few weeks of an SD shoot, you're probably making questionable life decisions anyways.

Reliable, high confidence in shooting it and comfortable to carry everyday, no matter what. That is what drives my choice (I do not understand how some people can EDC a fullsize 1911... I LOVE them but could never carry one concealed everyday)

Not that I wouldn't spend big bucks on one, it is just that it isn't necessary IMHO. Plenty of good, reliable, comfortable guns at prices from $200-500. My LCP was $200 and my Glock was $400

In the summer, it is 80% Ruger LCP and 20% Glock 42 depending on the temperature and what I am wearing. In the winter, it is 90% G42 and 10% LCP. Yes, it is a "wimpy" 380 round, but between these two guns I am comfortable to carry wearing everything from a business suit to polo shorts and a t-shirt. And I am very accurate with both to 7 yards shooting very quickly.

As others have said, first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. I'll always have a gun. It probably won't be the biggest one there, but I'll have one.

And I won't cry if either is taken as evidence. Will just go get another one. The only mod I made was to put a Hogue grip on the LCP. Other than that both are bone-stock.

I've had a EDC taken one time after I was forced to used it to defend myself and another person in the parking lot of a convenience store one night many years ago. It was promptly returned after the video tape from the store was reviewed by the authorities and our accounts of exactly what happened verified. I will say I do know for a fact that it had been test fired before being returned.

It has never entered my mind before or since that unfortunate night to worry about cost when thinking of a EDC weapon. I suppose some of my carried firearms could be considered "cheap"-the NAA .22mag that is always in my front pocket being one. Many of my EDC pistols are worth much more than I have in them simply because I either build from scratch or do any mods to a factory gun myself.
Bottom line to me is if I like a certain pistol and I know it will work every time I press the bang switch and I want to carry it, I do.

I would say when it comes to defense you wont' just defend your life from the criminals but the neighbors in court judging your actions. Only true way to look like a good guy is carry the same weapons the cops in your area do. Then if you get in a gun fight your lawyer can point out its what the cops carry to fight criminals so you are justified in carrying the same gun. Just buy two so you have a spare when they take one.:D

My mid range is a lot of people's low end....

Having said that, I got my glock for a steal and enjoy shooting it bone stock. It's also the most expensive gun I've purchased.

I've yet to find a Sig that I like holding - they look nice but not my thing, regardless of price.

I would say when it comes to defense you wont' just defend your life from the criminals but the neighbors in court judging your actions. Only true way to look like a good guy is carry the same weapons the cops in your area do. Then if you get in a gun fight your lawyer can point out its what the cops carry to fight criminals so you are justified in carrying the same gun. Just buy two so you have a spare when they take one.:D
Do you really carry what your local LEOs carry to appease the jury? Or are you just being facetious?

Do you really carry what your local LEOs carry to appease the jury? Or are you just being facetious?

Well its difficult to keep up with what they carry because they change guns so often, they don't have to pay for theirs.:D In a liberal state like Oregon I know what the jury will look like and think like and honestly that jury is just as dangerous as the criminal you may defend yourself from. You are going to be judged just as much by how the jury feels about you as what evidence is brought out. They won't know one gun from another but they will see the gun on the cops hip in the court room and he is the good guy. Best to look like a good guy.

Most guys just study the gun and shooting but it's better to study people because pulling the trigger is just the start of hell on earth. Even the cops, well not oregon cops, but most cops have to defend their actions.

Well its difficult to keep up with what they carry because they change guns so often, they don't have to pay for theirs.:D In a liberal state like Oregon I know what the jury will look like and think like and honestly that jury is just as dangerous as the criminal you may defend yourself from. You are going to be judged just as much by how the jury feels about you as what evidence is brought out. They won't know one gun from another but they will see the gun on the cops hip in the court room and he is the good guy. Best to look like a good guy.

Most guys just study the gun and shooting but it's better to study people because pulling the trigger is just the start of hell on earth. Even the cops, well not oregon cops, but most cops have to defend their actions.

LEOs also carry ARs but progressive Oregon doesn't want you to have those either.

This notion that carrying what LEOs carry will help you look like the good guy seems pretty thin. No, I wouldn't carry a tec-9 for SD, but I think most handguns available on the shelf today at your LGS will not raise an eyebrow. Minus stuff like 44 mag+ calibers.

Really the poll shows people don't understand the dynamics of self defense before and after the shooting. After the shooting if there is any question on right or wrong it becomes how will you be painted by a liberal procecuter for defending yourself. If you have a cheap junk gun then it's a criminals gun and the procecuter will point it out. If you have a high dollar rig and all the gear he will say you were out looking to kill someone and trained yourself for that. He would display before your liberal neighbors all the evil gear you carried.

So you use what the cops use and if you have a half way decent attorney he can make you look like a good guy. Read some Massa Ayob and all his stories about after self defense and how your life is really at stake by what you say and do. You are defending your actions before people who think you are evil for carrying a gun. Better not look that way.

I carry the tool I'm best with, and have had to most practice/training with. Cost isn' a concern, quality and accuracy are my main drive. Good mags, good night sights, and ammo rule the day. Let's say it gets used in an event, it gets seized. What happens to it now isn't my prime concern, my cocern is what't going to happen to me, and am I going to have to ability to defend my self during that period where the incident is being investigated.even if I have a audible carry price ready to go, what would happen to me if I had to use it? Would I be able to walk into a Gus shop and purchase a replacement while under investigation?
I digress, I carry a well proven combo, and cost is irrelevant to the job at hand!

Really the poll shows people don't understand the dynamics of self defense before and after the shooting. After the shooting if there is any question on right or wrong it becomes how will you be painted by a liberal procecuter for defending yourself. If you have a cheap junk gun then it's a criminals gun and the procecuter will point it out. If you have a high dollar rig and all the gear he will say you were out looking to kill someone and trained yourself for that. He would display before your liberal neighbors all the evil gear you carried.

So you use what the cops use and if you have a half way decent attorney he can make you look like a good guy. Read some Massa Ayob and all his stories about after self defense and how your life is really at stake by what you say and do. You are defending your actions before people who think you are evil for carrying a gun. Better not look that way.
No matter what kind of gun you carry they will say you were out to kill someone because you were carrying a gun

If yall want to be secure in your life then study the jury system and how they pick the jury. Look at those that serve on them and realize your actions will be judged by them. Understand they profile a jury to get the right outcome and your only chance is spending as much time learning self defence in court as you do learning to use a gun. I will carry a gun no matter what because it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six but realistic in todays' liberal world you will be judged.

I carry a Glock 26. I shoot it well and it conceals easily. I don't give a crap how much it cost me.

One last point and you guys will be happy I moved on. Todays' world is the information age, everything you have ever said on the net is now there as evidence to be used in a trial against you. You tell them what you think and how you feel here on this site, fakebook,twitter and every place you go. You thought because your name isn't here you are anonymous but fact is you are recorded. In a jury trial all you have said will be used to paint a picture to the liberal jury.

When you say you will kill to protect your second amendment rights it has gone down on record, you have pointed a finger at yourself and did it openly on a public forum. I try to tell you guys to learn how to win a fight but you wont' listen. Being queer for the gear is all cool but learning how to survive the information age is going to be your real challenge. The point that really needs to be made is learn what not to say in this information age, your words are going to hurt you.

Later guys:D

Self defense firearm? It must work 100 percent of time perfectly. Reliability is paramount. The poll should have asked what kind of gun would you have for self defense?

1) Reliable 100.00 percent of the time? ...

2) Reliable 99.0% of the time? ...

3) Reliable 98% of the time? ...

Expense or cost does not always relate to reliability. Usually but not always. The poll asked the wrong question.

Respectfully. Also the poll did not address the user of the self defense firearm. Or what kind of self defense. Where exactly. When exactly. How exactly. Important.

One story just came to mind. I had a good friend a long time ago. Really good guy, always wore a real pimpin Rolex (that was in the shop 7/8 of the time) and loved to golf.
Well, he was real proud of his Ping clubs and this was back when we were punk kids with not too much money at all (we'd mainly sneak onto the courses but we were all animals anyway so go figure). I found a single Ping iron at a garage sale for like $1 and snuck it in his bag one day. I promptly wrapped it around a tree after cratering the dirt with it after asking politely if I could try out one of "his" clubs .
lol, good cheap times

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads