JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ingloriously I recently broke my right wrist and need to wear a cast 8 weeks! Went down to the range; cast kept me from an effective 2 hand hold: bullets kept hitting 15 inches right of target at 50 feet.... much worst than I expected, and with just a Ruger SR22 :eek:! Also found loading magazines a real chore. I expect this is typical; however my training and qualifications barely touched on this issue. Also had to order a left-hand holster since my right IWB is inaccessible :rolleyes:. Unexpected: most of my dominate hand training and practice were worthless using my other hand alone!!

-Anyone else care to speculate on just how much practice I'll need to be left-proficient?
-Also most magazines are 2-handed affairs to load so very difficult if not impossible for a one-handed shooter!
-I used my free fingers to sling-shot the slide, slide release more difficult with left only; likely impossible just one-handed.
-Anyone know of a training course good for this issue?
-Any other issues I didn't cover?

I suggest every dedicated defensive shooter spend plenty of time non-dominate hand/ single hand shooting, loading, clearing stoppages, etc.

Last Edited:
There's a few ways to accomplish this. Most of the time the training has to do with one arm being injured during the fight. Put your holster on your left side. You can put your mags on the left or right side. While keeping your weapon holstered, insert your magazine into the gun. Then draw the weapon with your left hand. You can then rack the slide on your holster, belt, or boot heel (watch the muzzle direction) utilizing the rear sight. Now your ready to fire weak hand only. For reloads, holster the weapon, release the magazine, remove the magazine, and repeat the above steps. On the range you could obviously utilize your broken hand to install the mag. For weak hand get a high grip, use your dominate eye and focus on the fundamentals.

Was born ambidextrous and practice just about everything but my signature with both hands so I have it easy.

Use your cast as a rest like your holding a flashlight maybe? Lots of dry firing at home.

Every other trip out if I feel like my range day is getting ridiculously easy Ill try shooting in different odd angles as well as use my left hand.. Im just fine with the handling, but my eyes hate focusing in using the left eye rather than the right, thats the thing that requires more practice on my part.

I shoot left handed every time I go out. I've always trained to shoot with both hands as well as complete one handed reloads.
This came in handy when I broke my right arm.
There are so many methods out there. You really have you're choice.
Use your index finger to drop mag.
Invert gun, place between legs (muzzle awareness), load mag, use trigger finger to release slide. Obviously this method only works on slide lock while standing, on both knees, or sitting. Though you can rack the slide fairly easily utilizing your legs.
That is simply one method. Johnnny13 gave another good example and I'm sure others will chime in too.
I found my fundamentals were better with my left hand after I was injured. Probably because I was really aware of them.
There are different methods for shooting too. You probably do them with your right hand but haven't started with the left. Things like focusing on the front sight or natural point of aim.

Ingloriously I recently broke my right wrist and need to wear a cast 8 weeks! Went down to the range; cast kept me from an effective 2 hand hold: bullets kept hitting 15 inches right of target at 50 feet.... much worst than I expected, and with just a Ruger SR22 :eek:! Also found loading magazines a real chore. I expect this is typical; however my training and qualifications barely touched on this issue. Also had to order a left-hand holster since my right IWB is inaccessible :rolleyes:. Unexpected: most of my dominated hand training and practice were worthless using my other hand alone!!

-Anyone else care to speculate on just how much practice I'll need to be left-proficient?
-Also most magazines are 2-handed affairs to load so very difficult if not impossible for a one-handed shooter!
-I used my free fingers to sling-shot the slide, slide release more difficult with left only; likely impossible just one-handed.
-Anyone know of a training course good for this issue?
-Any other issues I didn't cover?

I suggest every dedicated defensive shooter spend plenty of time non-dominate hand/ single hand shooting, loading, clearing stoppages, etc.

First thing I would do is start at a closer distance. Say 21 feet.
Wrist will heal but take it easy on it so it will heal correctly.
No expert on the subject but lost my thumb on my weak hand so makes any training with it harder. Harder not impossible. Just means you have to work harder. And make adjustments and learn new tricks.
Practice practice practice
And let it heal.
Can shoot with no thumb. It ain't easy but not the end of the world.

I wouldn't hazard a guess but my dad had his right hand mangled in a drill press that was driving a 3" bit! Pulled the third finger clear out and broke all his other fingers and thumb in multiple places! A truly catastrophic event, it made him a lefty permanently!
He had to give up autoloaders and switched to revolvers. It took him years to become a competent revolver marksman, at first with mom or I loading. I'm talking real old school stance, looking down his left arm. He lowered the revolver after each shot to build up his strength. Eventually, he was able to load for himself as his hand healed into a club that he could hold the gun against to manipulate!
swpost 10, I hope your wrist heals properly so shooting with it is possible! Bettin' you can't wait!:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top