Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DOJ Launches Formal Investigation of Seattle Cops

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Cougfan2, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

The DOJ has launched a formal investigation of Seattle cops in the fatal shooting of a Native American woodcarver.

Dept. of Justice launches formal investigation of Seattle cops | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

I hesitated to even post this as I know this thread has the potential of turning into a cop bashing thread, but I though it appropriate as this incident has been discussed here before. Please, let's try to keep it civil.

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Excellent. Hopefully, the bad apple(s) are culled.

3. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

The problem isn't really the department, but (at least in my mind) the fact that it takes so long to remove officers that need to be tossed out. There are so many examples of officers in Seattle doing stuff and then weeping and wearing sack cloth and ashes...then everything is all ok and they go right back to doing the same old stuff...

4. Topper

Topper Seattle, WA Member

Its not that it takes so long, its that short of gunning down a deaf guy they don't get tossed out at all...

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is that they are so scared of lawsuits for unlawful termination. Even if they end up winning it costs them huge bucks in legal fees. My wife works for Washington Co. There was a gal in her dept that routinely was caught sleeping at her desk and many times would come back from lunch slurring her words an reeking of alcohol. I used to drive my wife nuts that mgmt knew exactly what was going on and didn't seem to do anything about it. They finally fired the gal, but it took them over two years. Granted she didn't kill anyone and I'm not trying to compare the two incidents, just to give you an idea of how hard it is to fire a public employee.

6. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

Good news, I'm not too optimisitic though given who runs DOJ these days.

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I suspect this DOJ is only taking this on because the victim was a disabled American Indian and they want to get some political mileage out of it. I absolutely think it should be investigated but the motives of someone like Eric Holder must be suspected

8. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

Expect the DOJ seal of approval for wonderful goodness. Commendations and promotions for all.

9. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

i remember seeing the vid of the girl who got punched...she deserved it. wouldn't listen to the cop and was resisting the whole time...poor guy

Now the kid who was pummeld in the convenient store was a diff story...

Some cops are really out of control and its evident. Probably as many as %25 or more shouldn't have a badge because they have personality disorders. I think there should be a new standard of psych eval and it should be imposed on all current law enforcement officers working in the field as well. It should be super stringent too. there is enough good people out there applying to be cops that can't get the job because a bad cop has already assumed the postition. Replace bad cops with good ones...is that so hard?

10. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

Look at Portland P.D. they just promoted the "Million Dollar Man" to sergeant. ($800,000 in multiple lawsuit payouts) The reason questionable cops are kept is manditory "arbitration". Thank you Portland Police Union.

11. the puma

the puma Oregon City Active Member

You do realize the arbitrator is an independent person with 'no dog in the fight' and makes decisions based on the applicable facts, not because of political motivation. What you don't hear is the dozen or so Portland officers that have been fired or quit in the past ten years with no protection from the PPA because they were guilty. The local media loves to blame the 'powerful police union,' but that is a complete misnomer. The PPA serves two main functions: negotiate a labor contract (and they do a passable job, at best) and they help in labor/legal disputes by providing an attorney if warranted.

12. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

If that's the case, the Portland Police Union needs to spend a little cash on public relations.

13. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Sooner or later you get old enough to realize that those who make the laws are on the same side as those who enforce the laws. The people are considered "on the other side". There has allways been an elitist point of view from our government even though we pay them to work for us.

jj