JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Son of a B. Nickel plated is more brittle. No getting around it. Doesn't show its age until you size it. My fault. Thought I'd get one more load out of it😋.

1000002654.jpg

How many loads? And what sizer? And how heavy of a crimp? Makes a difference. I have a lot of nickel 357s (W-W) and never had a split case. Some have several cycles on them; so many that the nickel is beginning to thin.

Last Edited:
How many loads? And what sizer? And ow heavy of a crimp? Makes a difference. I have a lot of nickel 357s (W-W) and never had a split case. Some have several cycles on them; so many that the nickel is beginning to thin.
I got 4. These are fairly warm so the crimp is stout. It actually cracked upon seating. It's reached It's time. Nickel plated is nice it just doesn't last as long.

Have you considered annealing the rims of your treasured nickel pistol brass? I do so after every firing of my creed nickel brass... makes a big difference.

Not really I'm not short on brass.
This may be a common condition with most reloaders who do .38 Special. Because it sees such widespread use and novice / occasional shooters leave their brass behind. I'll never be able to exhaust my supply. Then I went and bought 500 primed aluminum CCI cases from Rocky Mountain Reloading. I've got to use those up first to get the value out of the primers.

Nickle cases are sure brittle but in my experience it's the ones you crimp that split the quickest. I have some old Super Vel 45acp cases I have used for decades that have never split but I think it's because I taper crimp 45s.

I like the Nickle cases when I Load them on my shingle stage press its easier to see the powder in the case before placing the bullet in the case.
It seams all of my split cases are Nickle cases. Just had two nickle cases split wedsday. My friend had one split last week.
But I reload my cases alot, so much some of my nickle cases converted back to brass. Range brass cases are so cheap and I have so much it doesn't matter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top