JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Polished my side table and about 5 minutes saw my 12 year old standard schnauzer take several licks with his tongue. Anything I should do now?

Well, it'll probably cause cancer 15 years from now.....so .. probably not a problem.

I've seen dogs eat all kinds of stuff. Because they rarely live past 20 years, they don't usually develop consequences for what they eat.

Last Edited:
Status Report! How's Mr/Mrs Woofington doing?

Note that the ASPCA runs a 24/7, animal specific poison control center. Linky below. It's a good idea to have this number handy and any pertinent information about your pet, written down...in case a child or babysitter needs to call as they might not know everything about your pet.

It's also a really good idea to talk things over with your vet on your next visit and ask what supplies you should have on hand for poisoning. I don't know if things like Ipecac and charcoal are used with pets but having the right supplies could mean the difference between life and death. And it's probably cheap stuff, available of Amazon.

A good pet first aid kit is also well worth having...as is a good human first aid kit. Most first aid supplies can be used on both humans and animals but things like a good CAT or SOFTT tourniquet may not work well on the smaller limbs of dogs and cats.

Dog owners should be prepared with Hydrogen Peroxide. This will induce vomiting.

But call the poison control center first, not everything should be regurgitated - some is better to leave, or dilute, or need professional care.

My dog, 25 yrs ago, got into a package of mouse poison. I had swept it out from behind the fridge, thought that it was a candy pack - cause it looked like Halloween candy. When I saw what it was, then I learned about the hydrogen peroxide.
Rio was a good lab, but was from an over bread line - had both hips with dysplasia.

Last Edited:
Called poison control and vet said that if he did not have vomiting or loose stools, he was ok. Called my vet this am, and no big deal if he had a few licks. Thanks a lot and thank god.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top