JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dog named Trigger steps on gun, shoots owner

Sometimes you have to hunt for a good story. Other times it does the hunting for you.

Allie Carter was hunting with her dog Trigger in northern Indiana over the weekend when she became the object of an international punch line.

The 25-year-old laid her 12-gauge shotgun on the ground. The safety was off. Her 10-year-old chocolate lab did the rest.

"A dog stepped on the trigger, causing the gun to go off and strike a female hunter in the foot," Indiana Conservation Officer Jonathon Boyd told CNN affiliate WBND.

Yes, a dog named Trigger shot her human, accidentally as far as we know. Trigger has had little to say about the matter.

Authorities said Carter was released from a local hospital with minor foot injuries.

A local hunter said don't blame the dog.

"That was more human error than anything," Deloren Thompson told the affiliate. "I've hunted with dogs and stuff before and never had problems."

Treat every gun like it's loaded, Boyd recommended. Keep the safety on when you're not using it, and point it away from you.

Also, put your dog through hunting safety training too, Thompson said.

And maybe, don't name him Trigger either, just to stay out of the headlines.

Thanks. He's filled out a bit since that picture. He's almost 4 years old now.

He's very demanding!
And very spoiled.;)

So far he hasn't shot me. But I'd forgive him if he did.:D
That's a helluva dog ya got there Medic!
I used to have one that could have passed for his twin.

I miss that dog.
But someday,........

What fool lays their weapon on the ground, let alone with the flippin' safety off?!

You sling that sucker if you can't securely lean it against something, or have your hunting/battle buddy hold it for you while you fiddle-fart with whatever it is you're fiddlin' with. :rolleyes:

What fool lays their weapon on the ground, let alone with the flippin' safety off?!

You sling that sucker if you can't securely lean it against something, or have your hunting/battle buddy hold it for you while you fiddle-fart with whatever it is you're fiddlin' with. :rolleyes:

But Trigger was the hunting buddy.......

Ray

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads