Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Doesn't anyone use the 270 Win anymore ?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by U201491, Jan 11, 2015.

1. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone use the 270 Win anymore ?

2. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

I fired 5 rounds through mine this year.

3 to make sure the zero was still good (3 inches high at 100 yards, inside MOA)

1 shot that took the top of my buck's heart off

1 shot that went in my doe's mouth and out the back of her head

I'm going to take it coyote hunting the last of this week.

I'm sure someone will say that I don't shoot it enough. I've had the rifle for nearly 20 years. I've used the same load since I started reloading for it and I know how it's going to shoot in nearly any type of weather. The thing is like an extension of my body

3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have one, I actually like it. But I have not shot it in a long time. I have bought 100 rounds for it this year though and hope to

U201491 likes this.
  4. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

I love mine. 2 Bucks this year with it.

U201491 likes this.
  5. Papercidal

Papercidal Vancouver ,Wa Active Member

Shot my grandpas m70 that I recently inherited last week. It was made in '38 as was the scope on it but still hit dead on at 100yd . Now if I could just find a modern scope mount that matched the side mount holes on it to put something a little better than a 2.5x scope on it I would be happy.

U201491 likes this.
  6. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

Seeing as how the 270 is in the top 5 in die sales,I'd say lots of people shoot it

mjbskwim, westcoastal and U201491 like this.
  7. mikeybuck

mikeybuck Clark county Active Member

I have a old deluxe Winchester model 70 270 win. Gun is 99 percent. Sighted it in back in 03, then killed a buck with it later that season, have yet too use it since.

U201491 likes this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I had the chance to buy one more than a few years ago, I just couldn't give up my trusty 06!!!!

orygun, salmonriverjohn and U201491 like this.
  9. billgrigsby24

billgrigsby24 Beaverton, Or Active Member

I love my 270 and will never get rid of it!

westcoastal and U201491 like this.
  10. Rem725

Rem725 Tracktown, OR Member

Yes. 721 and good old Model 70

westcoastal and U201491 like this.
  11. westcoastal

westcoastal north coast of oregon Active Member

Had 721 since I was 13. Taken a lot of game in those years have loads from 110g for rats and rabbits to 140g for deer an elk

U201491 likes this.
  12. Slobray

Slobray Yelm, WA Well-Known Member

.270 is my favorite hunting round, I like how flat it shoots.

Ray

13. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I won't be inheriting one from my family and probably won't ever buy one in that caliber now that I have a .308.

The only other hunting rifle I plan on owning is a 30-06 but don't think I'll need that until I tackle an elk season.

14. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Funny how opinions differ on the .270, except by those who have one and use it. A fellow shooter - a game warden by profession - turned up on Sunday morning with a totally beeeyoootiful old Parker-Hale with a fancy Fajen-designed stock and a nice K6 Weaver on top. The rifle was totally like new, truly, with not a single mark or blemish on it anywhere - it was proofed in 1970, BTW.

Even with Prvi ammunition, it was plopping all his shots into about an inch or so at 100m.

It cost him $150 last week at a dealership near us. Is that a bargain or what?

Add that it's legal all over the UK and Ireland for the deer species hereabouts - Scotland has some odd ideas about deer-suitable calibres with regard to m/v and m/e.

tac

thorborg, Portaledgepete and Joe13 like this.
  15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I'd use a .270 but I made the deliberate decision to keep all my ammo (except 22LR) to typical MIL/LE calibers, so .308 is my "big gun" stuff that I can run either commercial hunting loads or MILSPEC FMJ rounds through my Ruger American or Galil.

....unless I find a crazy pill in my travels sometime and get into 50BMG. :eek::rolleyes:

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  16. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Agolopies - should have posted THIS in my post above.....

Scotland
    For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species – the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

Me, I've always found it odd that the .45-70Govt, good enough to clear the plains of the USA of bison, is not held to be powerful enough to shoot a little 400 pound deer.

tac

Ttuck likes this.
  17. python287

python287 Neskowin,OR Active Member

I have two rifles I rely on one is a Ruger .06 - the other is .270 - I've killed elk and deer with both - a .270 is great rifle.. You can usually buy .270 anywhere - has plenty of power for deer, elk, coyotes, whatever.

18. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Early 70;s I bought Ruger's M77 in .270 much to the chagrin of my buddy who also bought the same gun but in 7mm magnum, but when we went to the woods to sight in, he laid his down his after 2o rounds I finished the sixty rounds I brought (except 8 he shot) and wished I had brought more. A month later we went Elk hunting in Sled Springs. He missed a follow up shot on his wounded Elk because he tried to cycle the giant round to fast and it jammed, he was begrudgingly appreciative when I put his 4 point beast down on the run for him with my no recoil, girly no account .270 round. Over the years I bought a lot of rifles in bigger calibers which I brought to the hunt but still end up leaving camp with the 270. it will be the last rifle left when I die.

Say Taku, this thread doesn't have anything with your slow sale for your 270 cartridges does it?
    I totally agree with Tac and the last line of Python287.
    By the Bye, after hundreds of hand loaded rounds later, I'm still hunting with the .270's I loaded up in 1976 with Nozlers then new Balistic tip. 140 gr for deer and 180 for elk. not one fail albeit rather tarnished now.

Sstrand and billgrigsby24 like this.
  19. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

No the ammo sold already, but wondered about the lack of interest there compared to other cal. and was wondering if folks had moved on. That 270 was and is one of the finest cal's ever made in my opinion.
    I have a little 77 mountain rifle chambered for it. Used to have a 721 and it took a lot of deer and elk.

20. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The 270 win is a great round. If I wasn't so attached to the 30-06 the 270 is one of the very few cartridges I'd likely have. The 280 AI is the other.
    The 30-06 is the one rifle that covers all of my hunting needs. If I had a 270 I wouldn't think any different.