JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I fired 5 rounds through mine this year.

3 to make sure the zero was still good (3 inches high at 100 yards, inside MOA)

1 shot that took the top of my buck's heart off

1 shot that went in my doe's mouth and out the back of her head

I'm going to take it coyote hunting the last of this week.

I'm sure someone will say that I don't shoot it enough. I've had the rifle for nearly 20 years. I've used the same load since I started reloading for it and I know how it's going to shoot in nearly any type of weather. The thing is like an extension of my body

Shot my grandpas m70 that I recently inherited last week. It was made in '38 as was the scope on it but still hit dead on at 100yd . Now if I could just find a modern scope mount that matched the side mount holes on it to put something a little better than a 2.5x scope on it I would be happy.

I won't be inheriting one from my family and probably won't ever buy one in that caliber now that I have a .308.

The only other hunting rifle I plan on owning is a 30-06 but don't think I'll need that until I tackle an elk season.

Funny how opinions differ on the .270, except by those who have one and use it. A fellow shooter - a game warden by profession - turned up on Sunday morning with a totally beeeyoootiful old Parker-Hale with a fancy Fajen-designed stock and a nice K6 Weaver on top. The rifle was totally like new, truly, with not a single mark or blemish on it anywhere - it was proofed in 1970, BTW.

Even with Prvi ammunition, it was plopping all his shots into about an inch or so at 100m.

It cost him $150 last week at a dealership near us. Is that a bargain or what?

Add that it's legal all over the UK and Ireland for the deer species hereabouts - Scotland has some odd ideas about deer-suitable calibres with regard to m/v and m/e.

tac

I'd use a .270 but I made the deliberate decision to keep all my ammo (except 22LR) to typical MIL/LE calibers, so .308 is my "big gun" stuff that I can run either commercial hunting loads or MILSPEC FMJ rounds through my Ruger American or Galil.

....unless I find a crazy pill in my travels sometime and get into 50BMG. :eek::rolleyes:

Agolopies - should have posted THIS in my post above.....

Scotland
For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species – the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

Me, I've always found it odd that the .45-70Govt, good enough to clear the plains of the USA of bison, is not held to be powerful enough to shoot a little 400 pound deer.

tac

Doesn't anyone use the 270 Win anymore ?
Early 70;s I bought Ruger's M77 in .270 much to the chagrin of my buddy who also bought the same gun but in 7mm magnum, but when we went to the woods to sight in, he laid his down his after 2o rounds I finished the sixty rounds I brought (except 8 he shot) and wished I had brought more. A month later we went Elk hunting in Sled Springs. He missed a follow up shot on his wounded Elk because he tried to cycle the giant round to fast and it jammed, he was begrudgingly appreciative when I put his 4 point beast down on the run for him with my no recoil, girly no account .270 round. Over the years I bought a lot of rifles in bigger calibers which I brought to the hunt but still end up leaving camp with the 270. it will be the last rifle left when I die.

Say Taku, this thread doesn't have anything with your slow sale for your 270 cartridges does it?
I totally agree with Tac and the last line of Python287.
By the Bye, after hundreds of hand loaded rounds later, I'm still hunting with the .270's I loaded up in 1976 with Nozlers then new Balistic tip. 140 gr for deer and 180 for elk. not one fail albeit rather tarnished now.

Early 70;s I bought Ruger's M77 in .270 much to the chagrin of my buddy who also bought the same gun but in 7mm magnum, but when we went to the woods to sight in, he laid his down his after 2o rounds I finished the sixty rounds I brought (except 8 he shot) and wished I had brought more. A month later we went Elk hunting in Sled Springs. He missed a follow up shot on his wounded Elk because he tried to cycle the giant round to fast and it jammed, he was begrudgingly appreciative when I put his 4 point beast down on the run for him with my no recoil, girly no account .270 round. Over the years I bought a lot of rifles in bigger calibers which I brought to the hunt but still end up leaving camp with the 270. it will be the last rifle left when I die.

Say Taku, this thread doesn't have anything with your slow sale for your 270 cartridges does it?
I totally agree with Tac and the last line of Python287.
By the Bye, after hundreds of hand loaded rounds later, I'm still hunting with the .270's I loaded up in 1976 with Nozlers then new Balistic tip. 140 gr for deer and 180 for elk. not one fail albeit rather tarnished now.

No the ammo sold already, but wondered about the lack of interest there compared to other cal. and was wondering if folks had moved on. That 270 was and is one of the finest cal's ever made in my opinion.
I have a little 77 mountain rifle chambered for it. Used to have a 721 and it took a lot of deer and elk.

The 270 win is a great round. If I wasn't so attached to the 30-06 the 270 is one of the very few cartridges I'd likely have. The 280 AI is the other.
The 30-06 is the one rifle that covers all of my hunting needs. If I had a 270 I wouldn't think any different.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top