JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should've heard the commotion down on the Nehalem this morning. I was a couple of miles away deer hunting at daybreak when all of the sudden war broke out. It was about 15 minutes of non-stop shooting. So yes, apparently there are plenty of people the hunting birds.... at least over here!

That doesn't sound like bird hunting to me. Sounds like people were target practicing, as we don't shoot that much while bird hunting.

JP

Sounds to me like duck hunters.
I remember one year, Dad and I decided to hunt Pheasant out in Quincy for opening day (traditionally, we'd always gone deer hunting on Opening Day).
Across the road was a small lake and you could see the duck blinds were all over the place.
Very warm that day. In the 70's. I had to go back to the truck after 5 minutes because I had way too many clothes on.
Anyway, as I was about to head out again, all this gunfire starts up.
It was like The Battle of the Bulge!.....and all I saw was one lone duck fly right over that lake and keep on going.
I suspect there were some p.o.'d duck hunters sitting out there that afternoon. =))

DeanMk

I had the same dilemma and decided to try the ODFW pheasant workshop in Klamath this year. $50 for a two day trip, with guns (Rem 1187 20ga), ammo, and volunteer guides with dogs provided. I didn't get a bird as they seemed to flush towards my partner but I would recommend it in a heartbeat. We shot clays prior to hunting and I probably shot $20 worth of the provided steel ammo and got good instruction. Not too mention all the great advice given by the members of Unlimited Pheasants. My girlfriend went as well and enjoyed the no pressure, just have fun atmosphere. Since then I have hunted at Denman WA here in Southern OR without a dog and have got enough birds up to fill a few tags if my shooting skills were up to par. Also met a hunting partner that volunteered to take me out with his dog. I would have to say that in a few months hunting upland birds I have met more people willing to divulge all their secrets and help me than I could in a lifetime hunting deer or bass fishing. Since there are few wild pheasant left on the west side, it seems like everyone who loves to pheasant hunt is more than willing to teach a newbie so we will keep buying tags to pay for birds and keep the sport alive.

Be forewarned, a couple trips out and you will be looking for a dog. Watching a good dog work the birds makes the actual harvest an afterthought. A site to behold.

Now there's information people can use!
Great post, tonedef89. Thanks for passing on that information.
:s0155:

DeanMk

That doesn't sound like bird hunting to me. Sounds like people were target practicing, as we don't shoot that much while bird hunting.

JP
It was much quieter this morning. I think they scared off most of the ducks yesterday. I'm not comfortable being around that many people with guns a-blazing. Seems a good way to accidentally get shot. You never know when somebody might pull a Dick Cheney on you :D

Thanks Dean. Like many, I question ODFW's management strategy at times but they did a great job with the workshop. There is a family waterfowl one at Sauvies coming up in December for folks up north. And eriknemily, someone pulled a Cheney last week in Bend.
<broken link removed>

Now there's information people can use!
Great post, tonedef89. Thanks for passing on that information.
:s0155:

DeanMk

Thanks Dean. Like many, I question ODFW's management strategy at times but they did a great job with the workshop. There is a family waterfowl one at Sauvies coming up in December for folks up north. And eriknemily, someone pulled a Cheney last week in Bend.
<broken link removed>

I am surprised this doesn't happen every weekend at EE Wilson. I have been there a few times this month and really got nervous with some of the other shooters. I stay out of the real brushy areas now after have a couple spooky events.

Are there any records of "accidents" during the fee pheasant hunts?

I hunted EE Wilson last weekend for the first time. We were walking down a road and had a bird flush 30-40 yards in front of us and 3 shots followed. Couldn't see the shooters and I'm sure they didn't see us and I don't know if they would have seen us if we were in front of the bird with the tall vegetation alongside the road. I don't think they did anything wrong, the terrain is just laid out that way. There were a few times that I didn't even know I was coming up to a road until I was on it. If I were to hunt there again, I would do like you and stick with the areas that had clear shooting lanes, even if it diminished the chance of a successful hunt.

I am surprised this doesn't happen every weekend at EE Wilson. I have been there a few times this month and really got nervous with some of the other shooters. I stay out of the real brushy areas now after have a couple spooky events.

Are there any records of "accidents" during the fee pheasant hunts?

I hunted EE Wilson last weekend for the first time. We were walking down a road and had a bird flush 30-40 yards in front of us and 3 shots followed. Couldn't see the shooters and I'm sure they didn't see us and I don't know if they would have seen us if we were in front of the bird with the tall vegetation alongside the road. I don't think they did anything wrong, the terrain is just laid out that way. There were a few times that I didn't even know I was coming up to a road until I was on it. If I were to hunt there again, I would do like you and stick with the areas that had clear shooting lanes, even if it diminished the chance of a successful hunt.

Yeah.. That's the type of stuff i ran into. Had several events when i thought a shot was fired under 30 yards from me and I could never see the hunter. Just bang bang! I got out of the area, but it's a little spooky when you think you are alone in an area and a couple shots go off real close. Way to close to take some pellets. I also heard shot hitting the brush next to me which I guess is to be expected and ran into that before goose hunting in the past.

Just don't like the fact you can't see the other hunters and have to count on them not shooting a flushed bird too low.. Which you can't really count on given the folks out there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top