JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife of 40 years told me I could have anything I wanted except another woman. Best offer I'd ever get & I've taken here up on it for 40 years of having a gun shop, about 10 aircraft, skydived for a long time, raced class A Motocross, had a full sized all American tooled mschine shop, etc, etc. She knows I'm cheap & only buy when it's a deal. Have 2 9mm Gatling, 2 22lr & 2 golf ball cannons. Lifes been a Blast! Too many ballless men anymore. We we're both old school, the man's the head of the home. My son got himself in a situation like that, sad, reallly sad.

Last Edited:
Been married for over 36 years and I was into firearms long before we met so I have never had to hide anything in fact most of the time she has never asked.

We have a joint account but each of us gets a bit of spending money each pay day to spend as we want. If we want something big we save for it but I will admit she has allowed me to spend more than my allotted share on gun stuff as long as we have it to spend.

A month or so a go we did inventory for insurance purposes and she is better at doing spread sheets than I am so she knows what I have but the really bad thing is I now know what I have and its really bad when you don't remember getting something or did not remember that you still had it.

Guns are a good investment if you buy them right. Just bought 2 of these for $550ea OTD & will put them against any handgun. Both have the best triggers I've ever had, very short reset, no creep or grit, 3.25# triggers new so they'll get down to 3#.

Eh.. lets just say there were a few things the ex wife didnt know about.... and in the end it was a goddamn good thing for me that she had NO idea how much i had invested in all of my expensive hobbies - not just guns and ammo, but climbing gear, bicycles, tools, cars, etc..

Cuz when she drained my business and personal accounts right before filing (in hindsight pretty stupid to have given her access.. but she was my wife and all), i was still able to cash out pretty fat, and completely off the books. Divorce court didnt exactly go in my favor, but it could have gone a lot worse.

always have an ace in the hole, man. Love and trust are concepts, and noble ones at that - but $ is material. Keep em separate.

My wife never cared about expenditures for gun stuff, so long as everything else was taken care of.

She gets the concept that the gun stuff has cash value. But when I entered my 70's in age, I decided to scale back and spare her the need of dealing with most of it. For one thing, in the state of Wash. it's become a chore to sell guns due to the legalities. It's still a work in progress but I'm getting there.

For a long time, we had a combined account but also kept separate accounts for ourselves. It's just the way things worked out. I remember her father telling us that was a strange way to manage finances. When he died in 1999, I advised Mrs. Merkt to keep her inheritance separate. Later, I also suggested that she get a credit card in her own name which she did. I think a married woman should have some things in her own name. Just in case if for no other reason.

When my mother died a few years ago, I just dumped all the money I got from her in our joint account or CD's held jointly. I didn't care anymore. Mrs. Merkt and I have been married for 47 years, I don't think either of us is going to do something stupid by now.

One thing to think about if you have children. If your spouse dies and you want to hook up again with another, set up an agreement so that your kids by your first spouse don't get snookered out of what should be theirs. That is, if you care anything about them. If the to be new spouse doesn't like this, they aren't the right one. In my own experience I've seen this many times. New wife gets it all, children of first wife get zilch. Then children of second wife's first marriage get it.

One thing to think about if you have children. If your spouse dies and you want to hook up again with another, set up an agreement so that your kids by your first spouse don't get snookered out of what should be theirs. That is, if you care anything about them. If the to be new spouse doesn't like this, they aren't the right one. In my own experience I've seen this many times. New wife gets it all, children of first wife get zilch. Then children of second wife's first marriage get it.
I've seen that too, more than once, could tell stories!

And then there's my folks. My dad passed last year, and my mom's estate planning is that my younger sister will inherit the whole farm (net worth several million), because she never left the farm and the rest of us did. Apparently that's the way farmers do it; gotta keep the land in the family, you know, even if that means cutting out most of the family. That's fine, they don't owe me a nickel. I will certainly do it different for my kids though.

Apparently that's the way farmers do it; gotta keep the land in the family, you know, even if that means cutting out most of the family.
That's definitely the old way of doing things. The self-reliant children who went out on their own, forged their own way go unrewarded. The one who remained dependent, she gets rewarded. Or another way to look at it, the one who stayed behind gets rewarded for the on-site help she provided to the parents for all those years at home.

My wife could care less. I show her every purchase like some little kid with a new toy and she goes "oh cool". It helps that we're DINK and work hard to save and keep our spending down. It allows us the ability to spend when it comes to hobbies. While she doesn't like shooting or guns, she knows I do and that's all that matters. I'm really lucky!

My wife could care less. I show her every purchase like some little kid with a new toy and she goes "oh cool". It helps that we're DINK and work hard to save and keep our spending down. It allows us the ability to spend when it comes to hobbies. While she doesn't like shooting or guns, she knows I do and that's all that matters. I'm really lucky!
Just make sure that when she shows you the clothes/shoes/purses she bought that you act like you are watching Independence Day fireworks even if you have to think about the next gun to stay awake. Lesson learned many moons ago.

Just make sure that when she shows you the clothes/shoes/purses she bought that you act like you are watching Independence Day fireworks even if you have to think about the next gun to stay awake. Lesson learned many moons ago.
Always make her show them off, make her feel good with lots of compliments!
A few weeks leading up to a new purchase, take her out a few evenings dinner, a show, dancing, ect. Spoil her a little then go get that new gun ( or airplane) and enjoy!

She has no clue but some how she always seems to call my phone without fail when I'm in a gun shop. :mad:
She probably has one of those tracking apps loaded on your phone. :eek:

I didn't know there was such a thing. Then one day I'm sitting on the couch and my wife says "your son is home". Odd, I hadn't heard him pull up the driveway. About two minutes later her pulls up the driveway. She explained to me how/why she knew he was home. So, I don't usually carry a cell phone. And, when I do, I only turn it on when I need to use it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top