JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's definitely the old way of doing things. The self-reliant children who went out on their own, forged their own way go unrewarded. The one who remained dependent, she gets rewarded. Or another way to look at it, the one who stayed behind gets rewarded for the on-site help she provided to the parents for all those years at home.
I won't get into it, as I know it's way off-topic for the thread, but I think it has more to do with the almost cultish mythology that has grown up around the "American family farm". I was raised steeped in this idea, that the family farm legacy is the absolutely single most important thing in life. My dad was obsessed with it. We all worked our butts off on that farm like you wouldn't believe, well into our 20s, until most of us escaped and made lives for ourselves. Their estate planning has very little to do with family, and everything to do with the perpetuation of the farm, almost as an entity unto itself. No disrespect intended towards farmers. I respect farming in general, and growing up on the farm has made me who I am. It's the family-destroying obsession and mythology that I'm absolutely done with. I want nothing to do with it.

Back on track, as I mentioned in a previous post, my wife doesn't care what I spend money on, because she knows I'd never risk the family budget. I never hide a new gun or anything. I usually have to push her a little to spend any money on herself. Maybe when the kids are older and she goes back to work (assuming she does) we'll get a couple separate accounts with some paycheck money going into them monthly. I think that would help her feel better about spending money on herself.

I kind of wish my wife had at least a little interest in guns, above complete ambivalence. She supports my interest, but has no interest of her own. On rare occasion she'll go to the range with me, but after politely firing a few rounds she's ready to go.

My wife grew up on a farm surrounded by forest. Everyone in the family except the mother hunted deer for food and killed vermin. This continued with her first husband, who unfortunately died young.

When she met me, she mentioned how much I reminded her of her father. He worked as a logger (which I never did), but I had timberland and a successful rock quarry. He father had owned a lot of guns (she liked the M-1 Carbine for hunting deer) so that has never been an issue. She doesn't shoot for fun, but will grab a .22 and take out a varmint in a heartbeat. Always with one shot!

My daughter is similar. One day she and her twin brother came home from Middle School when I was breaking in a new Rossi M92 .357 Magnum. I filled it up and let her brother shoot first. He used up most of the shots while getting a few hits on a tennis ball at 20 yards. There were three rounds left in it when I handed it to her. She bounced the ball with all three shots, then handed the gun back to me. I asked if she wanted to shoot it some more, and she replied "I have homework to do. Nice gun!"

Their estate planning has very little to do with family, and everything to do with the perpetuation of the farm, almost as an entity unto itself. No disrespect intended towards farmers. I respect farming in general, and growing up on the farm has made me who I am. It's the family-destroying obsession and mythology that I'm absolutely done with. I want nothing to do with it.
Interesting stuff. Your description of this behavior as obsessive is accurate. Family cohesion and welfare should come before retention of property; it they are coincident, I guess that's a good thing. Plenty of farms have gotten lost over the years. For people who had to work hard for one (meaning, they didn't inherit), I can see how holding on to a hard-gotten property and way of life would become their primary focus.

Both of my parents came from farm families. Unlanded farmers. One grandfather was buying his, lost it early in the Depression. The other rented his, got boosted off when it was sold years later. My own father couldn't escape from the farm fast enough.

None of my extended family went back to the farms in Iowa after The War was over. If you don't own land, what're you gonna do? Be a hired hand, that's what. Only one uncle missed the farm life; he was a hunter and a fisherman. He missed living along the Missouri River, where he could do those things. Which aren't exactly farming. But he didn't go back either. He kept his 16 gauge Remington Model 31, used it for waterfowl hunting in California. I think one of my cousins still has it.

As long as people do a good job of marrying someone with the same values. When I got married, I was the spender and we did ok. Bills got paid, etc. But, when we really decided we wanted to commit to having our own home and saving enough to weather tough times, our overall "wealth" started to really take off. I fear if I didn't change, my marriage would have more issues or it would have ended. It's almost like having a good business partner.
Never marry someone you wouldn't go into business with. ;)

I have over $3K just in emergency food. . . .
Haven't added up the guns, mags, ammo and such in a while, but I have added at least $3.5K in guns and mags since COVID started. Aero Precision AR, CZ PCR, Henry 357, Shield 9mm, Mossberg MC2c. . .

No, she has no clue regarding the cost of everything.
Knows about the food and prep supplies, but doesn't really know how many guns I have.

Thankfully I've been doing this for a LONG time so I have many items that I paid far less than their current value. 2 x M1 Carbines for $180 each - Winchester 9422M (22 mag) I probably paid ~$280 for - Various JM marlins that I paid retail for. . . 20+ years ago. Same for several handguns I have had for 20-30+ years. i.e. Gen 2 Glock 19.

Lots and lots of ammo I bought 10-30 years ago both retail at stores and bulk at gun shows.

The past couple years I've been funding guns and prep supplies using my retirement money. I get $750 a month from a place I worked at for 15 years. I'm still employed full time as a national quality manager for a $8B/year company so the retirement money is just extra cash right now. I buy the stuff using my Alaska Air CC so I get the air miles, and then I pay the balance.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads