JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many wives or(sig others) have any clue how much money you have tied up in all the ammo and components stacked up in the basement/garage?
And a friend once shared his fear that if he passed, his wife would sell his guns/ammo for what he told her he paid for them.

How many wives or(sig others) have any clue how much money you have tied up in all the ammo and components stacked up in the basement/garage?
And a friend once shared his fear that if he passed, his wife would sell his guns/ammo for what he told her he paid for them.
This brings up a topic I have been thinking about regarding what happens to my collection if I die before my wife.

I decided to enlist the help of a trusted friend who also loves firearms. My plan is if I die before my wife, she is going to call this friend who will assist her in making sure she gets full value for the sales of the firearms and stuff. In exchange the friend will get his pick of two firearms from the collection and 20% of the sales proceeds from the rest of the firearms and firearm related components. If Gordon at Sunset Firearms is still in business I will recommend they sell the firearms through him on consignment. Otherwise they will have to figure out the best way to deal with selling them. If there are any firearms that can't be transferred because of some BS ban law, my wife will have to decide if she wants to keep them or part them out for what parts can be legally sold.

Or she can donate them all to OC police so BM can assist in destroying them. It's will be her choice and I will be ashes in the wind and won't be bothered either way.

She's never asked. Good ones don't. :)

The ex-wife has no clue, and never will if I have anything to say about it - and I do.

If I ever enter into a relationship again, whatever I spend or own, etc., will not be an issue in that relationship. If it becomes an issue, then the relationship will probably end. Long time ago I decided I didn't like someone telling me how to spend what I earned.

That said, my daughter and her husband do indeed have a clue as to the cost of my guns and ammo - as much of it is for preps and involve them. It is nowhere near what I have saved up in retirement savings for them, or the value of my real estate (which will eventually go to them too). So they have no complaints.

The short answer is my wife has no clue what my stuff is and/or isn't worth. She has no interest.

My wife does very well, so she doesn't hassle me about money.

Nobody believes this, but separate checking accounts is key to a happy marriage.

Yep. My wife hears my complaining about gun and ammo prices enough to have a good idea of what mine are worth. Plus, she enjoys shooting, has a CHL, and is savvy enough to look up values if she ever needed to sell.

The short answer is my wife has no clue what my stuff is and/or isn't worth. She has no interest.

My wife does very well, so she doesn't hassle me about money.

Nobody believes this, but separate checking accounts is key to a happy marriage.
Agreed. Same here.

This brings up a topic I have been thinking about regarding what happens to my collection if I die before my wife.

I decided to enlist the help of a trusted friend who also loves firearms. My plan is if I die before my wife, she is going to call this friend who will assist her in making sure she gets full value for the sales of the firearms and stuff. In exchange the friend will get his pick of two firearms from the collection and 20% of the sales proceeds from the rest of the firearms and firearm related components. If Gordon at Sunset Firearms is still in business I will recommend they sell the firearms through him on consignment. Otherwise they will have to figure out the best way to deal with selling them. If there are any firearms that can't be transferred because of some BS ban law, my wife will have to decide if she wants to keep them or part them out for what parts can be legally sold.

Or she can donate them all to OC police so BM can assist in destroying them. It's will be her choice and I will be ashes in the wind and won't be bothered either way.
And you are probably wondering what I am going to do if my wife passes first. That's easy I am going to remarry a hot little honey who has an FFL.

Opposite here. My wife knows virtually everything about what I own. While she may not know the exact values, she understands that we are heavily invested in this category and knows enough about most of them to know that they arent to be simply sold off for cheap. I have also sat down with her and together we prefilled all the necessary form 5s for all the NFA stuff in duplicates. She already knows which ones to keep, give away, or sell. while I trust her to do right by my wishes, I've also told her not to worry about all of it and do whatever she wishes with it all if I die prematurely.

If there is trust in the marriage (and there should be) then I don't see a need or reason to even talk about it. As long as the household is taken care of what does it matter? Do any of you ask them about how much they spend on their hobbies, interests or whatever?

I don't. Again, trust.

My wife like to shoot and she packing too. She newer question any of my spending. Maybe she just doesn't care. Or because when I spend on gun staff she is getting treat too.

My wife shoots, has her own firearms, and knows pretty much everything that is in the safe or in the ammo cans. She used to work for Sportsman's, and rang up a bunch of gun sales. She's got a fair idea what stuff is worth. She also knows how many fishing rods & tackle I've got. God forbid something happened to me and she decides to sell the stuff, she'll get a few grand out of it at least, unless she just gives it away.

I mentioned before we moved that our normal renter insurance covers $5k, which was closer to the collection that I had in Hawaii. My wife said, "you have $5k in guns?!?!". "Here, I have the majority of my collection elsewhere". :rolleyes:

Heck, my wife has probably spent nearly as much on guns over the decades we've married as I have.

Yup, she's a keeper :)

My wife has no interest in the amount of money we have tied up in firearms. She does not care for guns in general, but she trusts me completely with all decisions home defense related.

She also has no idea how much our axes, lawn mower, chain saw or weed whacker cost. They are tools and they cost what they cost.

My wife has no interest in the amount of money we have tied up in firearms. She does not care for guns in general, but she trusts me completely with all decisions home defense related.

She also has no idea how much our axes, lawn mower, chain saw or weed whacker cost. They are tools and they cost what they cost.
Ah, there's that word.......TRUST.

We're through the rough money years almost.
Jobs are stable , house is paid off, we can't really enjoy vacations at the moment.
She is too tired and burnt out to be pissed at me for dropping a grand a month on guns knives and ammo.
Besides, she's wasted almost that amount and literally has nothing tangible to show for it. Pictures of places we've been in a cell phone have no cash value. My stuff does .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top