JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If a business in Vancouver wanted to charge you 10 percent sales tax would you pay it? Or how about 12 percent in Seattle? I wouldn't and I can guess that there would be a bunch of people arguing that "they can't charge the extra tax" because it is not legal to charge it. If they say they are going to charge you more money for using a credit card, that it against the same rules and regulations that they said that they would abide by when they signed the agreement with the credit card company.

Just like everyone else I hate paying more for "fees" than I have to, especially if it is against an agreement that they agreed to abide by - to get the machine and benefits of being able to accept credit cards for payments.

Advertise a $100 item for $100. Offer a "cash discount". Don't tell me that I will be charged more if I use my credit card.....

Taxes are not private business fees. The fee issue (legally) is between the CC company and the business and if paying a visible vs an invisible fee bothers the consumer they are free to buy elsewhere. I don't see the correlation

Man this thread is old. Washington residents go into Oregon all the time to get out of paying sales tax but I would'nt boast about it as Washington State law still requires that you pay the use tax when you return to Washington. Department of Revenue will furnish instructions on how to comply. Now that has been said I know no one pays it and the odds of being caught are slim to none for now eccept maybe for tobacco products. Think about your Costco trip across the border and keep in mind that Costco keeps records of every purchase you ever made and when will Washington demand to audit those records for tax collection purposes. I can't believe they don't already do that.

The state has instituted that policy recently on all FFL transfers. The exception is if you can prove that the tax was paid in the state of origin. I was surprised that cocktalier does not do the same. I have approached five different local ffls and they all say the state insists on the "use tax" being collected now.

No private individual in their right mind pays use tax on what they order from other states

Umm.. I never said they did, I did say it was the law and required.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

The state has instituted that policy recently on all FFL transfers. The exception is if you can prove that the tax was paid in the state of origin. I was surprised that cocktalier does not do the same. I have approached five different local ffls and they all say the state insists on the "use tax" being collected now.

It's not really "new", there used to be a page on the WA DOR site that had about a 2007 date as I remember. There are now two pages relating to the collection of "use tax" on transfers handeled by WA FFL's

<broken link removed> and <broken link removed>

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

I just talked to my FFL who had not been collecting taxes. He told me as of April 1st, he has to charge sales tax on purchase price, shipping and insurance fees. I'm betting a lot of small time FFL dealers who mainly do transfers go out of business as people quit buying online. Pretty soon you won't be able to fart without paying some kind of tax. When will it end?

I contacted a local FFL to handle the transfer of a pistol I purchased online. This is how the conversation went.

Me: Hi, I will be purchasing a handgun on the internet. Would you be able to do the transfer for me? And what would the fees be?

FFL: Shur, The transfer fee is $30.

Me: OK, great. So $30 out the door?

FFL: yes

Me: Are there any additional fees?

FFL: There is no tax because it's considered a service.

The gun came in today. So, I head over there to do the paper work. Every thing's going good. I like my new gun, the FFL is easy going and knowledgeable. I'm felling really good about the transaction and the FFL. I pay him the $30. He takes a long pause, and proceeds to tell me I have to pay sales tax on the gun.:huh: We engage in a polite debate. AT which point he informs me all FFL's are required to collect sales tax on transfers. The main reason I went with this guy is because he was not charging me tax. So now he's got my gun, my money and is charging me the tax he said did not apply. He seems like a good guy. So I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. And chalk this up to miss communication.
What do you guy's think?
This will help, and no, you're not required to pay tax at the time of transfer with some caveat. <broken link removed>

Last Edited:
Zombie thread!
night-of-the-living-thread.jpg

This will help, and no, you're not required to pay tax at the time of transfer with some caveat. <broken link removed>
Nope - you need to re-read the notification.
I went through this in detail with an FFL - even some of the ATF and WA-DOR people are screwed up on this question.
Any purchase from or transfer by a licensed dealer, tax is collected. Sales by private party (in-state or out-of-state) no tax is collected ... BUT the WA State Use-Tax still applies and you are expected to remit that on your own.

Nope - you need to re-read the notification.
I went through this in detail with an FFL - even some of the ATF and WA-DOR people are screwed up on this question.
Any purchase from or transfer by a licensed dealer, tax is collected. Sales by private party (in-state or out-of-state) no tax is collected ... BUT the WA State Use-Tax still applies and you are expected to remit that on your own.
Must a licensed dealer facilitating the transfer of a firearm between unlicensed persons collect sales tax or use tax from the transferee? No. An in-state firearms dealer is not required to collect sales tax or use tax when a firearm is transferred between unlicensed parties. The buyer/transferee is still liable to use tax per I-594 like you mentioned. Does the buyer/transferee owe use tax if the in-state firearms dealer does not collect the tax? Yes. I-594 does not relieve the purchaser/transferee from the obligation to pay use tax. The purchaser/transferee receiving the firearm must pay use tax directly to the Department of Revenue as follows: • An unlicensed purchaser/transferee that does not have a tax reporting account with the Department must report and pay the tax by completing and filing a Consumer Use Tax Return. See the Department's website at www.dor.wa.gov. • An unlicensed purchaser/transferee that has a tax reporting account must report and pay the use tax on their Excise Tax Return.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top