JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does your SHTF rifle(s) have drum magazines?

• Yes! And the drum type I use is ...

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Well, I have drums for this/these rifles, but not as a primary feeding device.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I've farted around with drums, but not for preparedness purposes.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • No and I never had good luck with drums.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No and the whole notion of a SHTF rifle is pretty damn stupid.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Um (bromp!) wut? Drum tobacca fur scary times ... err (burp!) sumpfin? Where's ma thunderbucket ...

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Making a meal out of stainless steel ...

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
Magpul D60 and D50 mags are great - bubblegum to load though compared to standard 30 or 25 round mags. Then there's the whole weight issue. Then there's the whole eggs in 1 basket issue. When I take a short rifle caliber gun out of town I bring two 30 round mags coupled together. One mag takes a dump I still have another. If I only brought the 60 round drum and it took a dump I'd have a single shot rifle.

Drums are worth owning just to tell the "10-round magazine" crowd to go F-themselves.

They'd be good in fixed positions where a high volume of ammo expenditure was requested, but for most things related to "preparedness" the 30 round mag is sufficient.

A memory from like six—seven-ish years ago was jogged by a build thread in the NFA section. In that era I did a bunch of work with some businesses in the Pelican State (Louisiana) and I met a colleague who was most assuredly a "gun guy". One of our reoccurring discussions was centered around disaster preparedness and firearms. He built a really neato AR-based SBR that was fed by a Chinese drum that, despite its nation of origin, ran like a top, and he opined it was his go-to "hurricane" rifle.

Which brings me to the question: does your dedicated SHTF gun(s) run on drums? If so, what types?

Enjoy!
I've had a couple drums- red Chinese I think- they worked fine, no issues but they took a lot of time to load up and were very heavy and threw off the balance of the weapon. Came to the conclusion they would probably be used best in a fixed/semi-fixed position on a heavy-barreled rifle.. Havent seen them for years, one of the kids may have appropriated them. if so best of luck to 'em!
In point of fact Im looking for some 15-20 round AK mags, havent seen any in years... Wish I knew where I put the 20-round M16 mags that found their way into my stuff back when the Land Of Endless Summer was a thing...

Last Edited:
I have a variety of drums that are mostly for fun. Some KCI 50 round 9mm Glock ones that I've had zero issues with in my PCC or Glock 45. I also have some Magpul D60s that have always run like tops. Heavy, expensive to load/shoot, and I don't think I'd want it to be my only mag, but it's not a bad way to say "welcome to the party, pal". 2x 30/40 round mags would likely be a better option if on the run due to size, price (more disposable), and reduced complexity. The only drum I've had even the slightest issue with was my German 110 round drum for the 10/22, and I'm pretty sure that was just an timing/feed speed thing when trying it with the BMF Activator (man, that is a dangerous combo. I don't recommend it. The Activator is made of plastic and has too much flex to not be sketchy AF), but I digress.

And because a thread is worthless without pics, here's a PSA/Anderson 10.5" AR pistol rocking the D60:
AR_Pistol_20180405_2.jpg

And a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 also with a D60. This one takes a bit more time to get through the 60 rounds:
Ruger_American_Ranch_drum_2021-01-29_1.jpg

Then there is this type of drum, but I'm guessing you're talking about removable drums:
Ruger_SP101_22lr_polished_open_2017-02-01_1.jpg

Many moons ago, a Unit I was in tried the Beta-C mags with old school M16s (not A1, Not A2, but actual slick sided M16s). At first, there was worry we would burn out barrels. In the end, that was not an issue. Never could really get them to run reliably. Even just on the range. Never mind field use. And with blanks, might as well as kept a few rounds in my pocket, and loaded them one at a time.

Many moons ago, a Unit I was in tried the Beta-C mags with old school M16s (not A1, Not A2, but actual slick sided M16s). At first, there was worry we would burn out barrels. In the end, that was not an issue. Never could really get them to run reliably. Even just on the range. Never mind field use. And with blanks, might as well as kept a few rounds in my pocket, and loaded them one at a time.
Ah someone else who cut their teeth on the slick-siders! Next year in Valhalla!

Back in the 80's, a couple of young Air Force peeps that were attached to my Army unit had slick-sides. I was just a teenager with no knowledge of the evolutionary differences of the AR platform back then (let alone breaking down our weapons beyond the authorized field stripping) and was all… WTF is THAT? The young wingnuts had no clue as to why, either.

:s0112:

I don't like how drums store or carry loose and I like the simplicity of a straight magazine. Not saying drums are bad, but to me the practical limitations outweigh the capacity.

Not a fan of drums in general, for all the reasons everyone has pointed out already (size, weight, eggs in one basket, reliability, etc). That being said, I could see a drum being a fine addition to an AR with an FRT installed... set it up as a squad weapon with drum and bipod. Wouldn't mind having one or two of those lying around in the safe, as long as they function properly.

A memory from like six—seven-ish years ago was jogged by a build thread in the NFA section. In that era I did a bunch of work with some businesses in the Pelican State (Louisiana) and I met a colleague who was most assuredly a "gun guy". One of our reoccurring discussions was centered around disaster preparedness and firearms. He built a really neato AR-based SBR that was fed by a Chinese drum that, despite its nation of origin, ran like a top, and he opined it was his go-to "hurricane" rifle.

Which brings me to the question: does your dedicated SHTF gun(s) run on drums? If so, what types?

Enjoy!
No

I have a 75 round Romanian drum magazine for my AK that I took to the range a few times, It was a blast to shoot but it makes my AK heavier. Now ammo has gone up in price so I just my standard 30 round magazines. I do have few Magpul 40 rounder for my AR but that has only seen range used as well.

Nope. Drums are notriously less reliable than mags so, for a SHTF rife, that's the LAST thing I want to factor in.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top