JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I apologize if this has been covered in other threads. I did a couple searches and didn't find it.

I don't have a CHL and have been debating whether to get one. I realize all the benefits of having a CHL, so I'm not looking for reasons why it's good to carry concealed.

But I'm wondering if it worries you at all. The government knows you have it. It's arguably a public record that may (issue still pending) result in the public knowing it. It publicly advertises you as a gun guy. That may be a good thing. If you want to rob a house, who wants to rob a house that's clearly armed? On the other hand, if you want to rob a house, you might want to case a known gun house for that vacation, then move in knowing there are guns. And if the government goons ever get to the point of chasing down private firearms, that CHL list would be a good place to start.

Carrying concealed seems stealthy, which is good. Then I remember that having the CHL is far far from being stealthy.

Thoughts?

I have had one for 16 years. I wouldn't carry without one (for legal and personal reasons). And I carry. Simple as that. Carry = CHL

I understand your concerns and I had them previously, but having a CHL in my opinion is part of being one of the good guys.

I do see your point and I agree I'm not fond of the record keeping the government insists on. I'm not a criminal therefore the government doesn't need to have a file on me and my guns. However since I am so very lawful and carry always I of course have one because if you don't and carry concealed you'll just be another bad guy in the eyes of the law.

Who do you trust less?
The guv? Then you may not want your name on a guv list as a gun owner.
The potential perps? Then your name on a guv list may be acceptable for the peace of mind.
Maybe you're one of the truely paranoid that doesn't want their name on ANY gun owner's list. Not even the NRA's or GOA etc.
I dunno, you gotta decide for yourself I guess. ~shrug~

Living in the modern world you wind up on a ton of different lists, if I'm gonna be in a bunch of different databases, might as well be in the one that allows me to defend myself, too.

Just my opinion *Shrug*

I asked this same question a while back. Here's the thread:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11390

Day before yesterday, I applied for a CPL. This despite the fact that I don't plan on carrying regularly, and I seldom have firearms in my home - They are stored elsewhere.

I do, however transport firearms in my vehicle - to and from the range, and to and from gun stores. If I am ever stopped, I don't want there to be any question in an officer's mind as to whether or not I'm legal. Just because I know what I do is permissible under state law, has absolutely no bearing on what a young LE believes to be the case. And if I go somewhere and chose to carry, I can. Legally.

In WA, it also makes life easier when purchasing firearms- both from dealers, as well as from private individuals who rather sell to someone they know can pass a background check.

I should also mention that I'm a federal employee, so the FBI already has my prints on file.
And the sheriff's office already knows I own my share of firearms, because they have done several background checks for FFL transfers on me. It shouldn't be too difficult for the locals and the feds to put 1 + 1 together and figure out that I'm a "gun person."

My only real concern is that someone (e.g. my wife) driving a vehicle registered in my name _might_ be more scrutinized if she is pulled over by the police.

If you are a member of a gun club or firearms forum, an NRA, GOA, or any other organization, if you have a fishing or hunting license, ever bought a gun from a FFL, been in the military, then I wouldn't worry about it. If there are lists I am sure we are all on it. Had mine since they went to shall issue over 20 years ago and the same worries were mentioned then. Get one whether you plan on carrying all the time or part time or just for travel.

I asked this same question a while back. Here's the thread:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11390

Day before yesterday, I applied for a CPL. This despite the fact that I don't plan on carrying regularly, and I seldom have firearms in my home - They are stored elsewhere.

I do, however transport firearms in my vehicle - to and from the range, and to and from gun stores. If I am ever stopped, I don't want there to be any question in an officer's mind as to whether or not I'm legal. Just because I know what I do is permissible under state law, has absolutely no bearing on what a young LE believes to be the case. And if I go somewhere and chose to carry, I can. Legally.

In WA, it also makes life easier when purchasing firearms- both from dealers, as well as from private individuals who rather sell to someone they know can pass a background check.

I should also mention that I'm a federal employee, so the FBI already has my prints on file.
And the sheriff's office already knows I own my share of firearms, because they have done several background checks for FFL transfers on me. It shouldn't be too difficult for the locals and the feds to put 1 + 1 together and figure out that I'm a "gun person."

My only real concern is that someone (e.g. my wife) driving a vehicle registered in my name _might_ be more scrutinized if she is pulled over by the police.

I'm curious why you don't have firearms in your home? Is it because of your spouse, kids, or?

i HATE having a CHP. gun laws are unconstitutional, and requiring people to have a permit to bear arms is just about as clear as that violation can get.

the "government," whoever that be at the time, will confiscate guns at some point in the future. might not be for a long time, might be tomorrow.. and they will use lists like CHPs, FFL transfers, background checks, NFA records, etc, to gather up all those nasty assault pistols and assault rifles.

you can keep your muzzle loader- the 2nd amendment is about hunting, right?

I'm curious why you don't have firearms in your home? Is it because of your spouse, kids, or?

Two very young kids and a spouse. Spouse didn't mind the guns in the house too much until the kids showed up... I think when the kids get a bit older she probably won't mind too much me bringing them back home. I miss them a bit, but not enough to get into an emotionally charged argument with someone with whom I have an otherwise blissful relationship. So I now have a safe down the road at my father's place full of my guns- Which isn't too bad as I'm there several times a week, and we have a small range on his property where I normally shoot.

I have had my CHL for around ten years now, and I have never had any second thoughts.....even after reading the OP. Im sure that the government has me on many lists, including the ones that exsist from background checks from all my gun purchases over the years. Fear of the government isnt going to keep me from exsercising every gun right I can, considering how they like to take those rights away.

You cant hide in your house all the time, worrying that the government is watching your every move or may use public information that you generate by your lawful actions against you in some remotely possible communist US future. Go out there and excersise your rights, and get your CHL. IF the government wants to come someday down the road to collect your weapons, let them come......at least you'll likely be prepaired with your pistol in your waistband. Just my thoughts....

Two very young kids and a spouse. Spouse didn't mind the guns in the house too much until the kids showed up... I think when the kids get a bit older she probably won't mind too much me bringing them back home. I miss them a bit, but not enough to get into an emotionally charged argument with someone with whom I have an otherwise blissful relationship. So I now have a safe down the road at my father's place full of my guns- Which isn't too bad as I'm there several times a week, and we have a small range on his property where I normally shoot.

Thanks I was just curious, I went through a similar situation when my kids were small.

i HATE having a CHP. gun laws are unconstitutional, and requiring people to have a permit to bear arms is just about as clear as that violation can get.

the "government," whoever that be at the time, will confiscate guns at some point in the future. might not be for a long time, might be tomorrow.. and they will use lists like CHPs, FFL transfers, background checks, NFA records, etc, to gather up all those nasty assault pistols and assault rifles.

you can keep your muzzle loader- the 2nd amendment is about hunting, right?

Don't forget lists of internet gun-forum users...

continueing the side topic for a moment...

4 kids some small some large, lots of guns in the house. Teach them about weapons, keep one on your person if you like, and lock the rest up. I don't understand why people store their guns away from their home because they have kids.

Thanks I was just curious, I went through a similar situation when my kids were small.

No problem. I know it sounds odd, especially since I just applied for a CPL- But I'm actually carrying guns in my vehicle much more frequently now than every before... And the, "No officer, I'm actually on my way to do some deer-mouse hunting," excuse isn't going to work many more times ;)

continueing the side topic for a moment...

4 kids some small some large, lots of guns in the house. Teach them about weapons, keep one on your person if you like, and lock the rest up. I don't understand why people store their guns away from their home because they have kids.

Honestly, I don't quite understand it either. I grew up immersed in firearms. Dad was a cop - uncle a gunsmith. When friends my age were reading comics, I had a stack Shotgun News. When I was a teenager and getting ready to leave for the evening in the family car, my father always asked me: 1) Did you check the oil? 2) Do you need a gun? -- No joke.

Not having the guns in the house, from my perspective, is not about my kids safety. It's about my wife's level of comfort with firearms. She's from a family that was very anti-gun. You can't argue logically with a person who's rationale for their opinion is based on emotion. So I don't.

Honestly, I don't quite understand it either. I grew up immersed in firearms. Dad was a cop - uncle a gunsmith. When friends my age were reading comics, I had a stack Shotgun News. When I was a teenager and getting ready to leave for the evening in the family car, my father always asked me: 1) Did you check the oil? 2) Do you need a gun? -- No joke.

Not having the guns in the house, from my perspective, is not about my kids safety. It's about my wife's level of comfort with firearms. She's from a family that was very anti-gun. You can't argue logically with a person who's rationale for their opinion is based on emotion. So I don't.

You need a plan, I went through this, find a friend with a wife that shoots and that will befriend her then let it her get the idea, encourage her take some safety lessons (for the family's safety of course;)) and eventually let her pick out her gun! ;) It works, I hate to break it down so simply but most women like attention and if you can make it about her she may come around, it worked for me. :p

You need a plan, I went through this, find a friend with a wife that shoots and that will befriend her then let it her get the idea, encourage her take some safety lessons (for the family's safety of course;)) and eventually let her pick out her gun! ;) It works, I hate to break it down so simply but most women like attention and if you can make it about her she may come around, it worked for me. :p

Now that sounds like a damn fine idea. I'll have to think on this a bit. It's tough right now because my kids are both under 3 - So time is a bit tight, but when they get a bit older, I'll have to line something up. Thanks!:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top