Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Does Wa. got hogs?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Throckmorton, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

Howdy
    was just live chatting with a fella on Greybeard's board,and he says there are rumored to be hogs a roamin' in the Cheney area.
    Any one know of any hog hunting in wa or oregon?

2. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Oh yes, we got hogs, coyotes, foxes, deer, bear... Not sure what's on the approved list for hunting, though, or where exactly you can go.

3. davlandrum

davlandrum New Member

I haven't heard of any in OR, yet.

Fast as they breed, I imagine that once we do have them, they will spread quickly.

Many states they are considered pests and not regulated. Texas, we had to have a general hunting license.

4. lazyeye

lazyeye Corvallis, OR Member

So we're talking about the potential for free hunting of bacon?
    Sweet.

5. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Mmm, bacon.

6. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

OMG I have seen this post for a few days and thought it was about motorcycles until I read it!

I want to go hog hunting! I figure my AK could do the job toot sweet!

7. m'kay13

m'kay13 Boardman, OR Member

Davlandrum,
    There are hogs in Oregon. After a brief google search I found this risk assessment document from the ODFW office in Corvallis.

"In Oregon, feral pig populations have been reported in nine counties (see Appendix A):
    Coos and Curry Counties (Dement Creek/Sixes River area, Pistol River, and Thomas
    Creek), Josephine County (Rough and Ready Creek), Jackson County (Sampson, Slide,
    and Conde Creeks), Klamath County (Swan Lake Ridge, Klamath River), Wasco and
    Jefferson Counties (Ashwood area), Crook County (Ochoco National Forest), and
    Wheeler County (Spray/Service Creek/Waterman Triangle area). Two additional
    populations existed along the coast of Coos County (North Spit) and in Crook County
    (east of Post on highway 380), but have been eradicated. The existing populations have
    resulted from a combination of unauthorized releases for hunting and ranch escapes and
    consist of feral domestic pigs, although the Crook County population reportedly consists
    of feral pig-wild boar hybrids (Ferry 2004, pers comm). Reports indicate that currentpopulations are small, relatively isolated from each other, and seem to be limited by
    hunting pressure, and government control efforts (Huffman 2004, pers comm), although
    range expansion can be expected given that pigs are food and habitat generalists (Duncan
    1974, Bratton 1975, Coblentz and Baber 1987, and others)."

I have a bachelor party coming up and I told the best man, "I've seen enough strippers in my life. Let's go hog hunting." I think he is looking at Northern California.

8. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

The kind lady at fish and game said she did'nt know of any population of hogs in wash but they were not regulated or controlled in any way by the state so if we can find them we can shoot them , she did advise checking with local farmers before whacking them. Said there could be a few on the coast.

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Lots in Oregon actually - especially in the areas East of Prineville to the areas of Post and Paulina. There are a few in the area of Haystack and Gray Buttes just outside of Redmond also. I guy killed a 325 lb sow with tusks near Gray Butte a few years ago and sightings are regular. They are not seen as often as other animals as they are low to the ground and are very smart and wary. They do not need to roam far for food as they eat almost anything. I have been discussing this with some friends lately and we may look into this a little more seriously in the near future.

jsparks747 likes this.
  10. BryanO

BryanO W.WA Member

I lived in Cheney for three years and never saw hog. Let me know if you find something that indicates anything other though, I'd love to go. They were abundant in Georgia.

11. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

wel,well,well,looks like them pigs do get around.I'll have to look into this further.
    Thanks,RVTECH

12. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

throckmorton you look around over there and i'll look over here maybe we can get up a hog hunt.

13. BryanO

BryanO W.WA Member

That would be a lot of fun. Let me know!

14. ivantherussian03

ivantherussian03 Albany New Member

As I understand it in Oregon they are considered an invasive animal, and can be shot on sight. Check you regs and double check

15. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

There used to be some out on the Olympic Peninsula, but I'm not sure if they are still there (or, ever were).

16. BigDaddyP

BigDaddyP Longview, WA Member

Who doesn't like bacon??!! Well besides my vegetarian sister that is (cuckoo!). :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of any wild hogs roaming WA, but it could be a new development.
    I would be down with some hog hunting for sure! :thumbup: