JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
I have my ddm4al for sale

I was asked if still for sale, said yes

got these to responces back Sunday

"Ok awesome, I'm definitely interested. Thanks for getting back to me"
than
"I'm fairly flexible on day and time, happy to meet at bulls eye or brown box"

me - i wont be back from sequim till tomorrow or tuesday probably

them
"Ok, no rush"

on tuesday i responded

"I am coming back later today. Bullseye you can pretty much do a transfer anytime they're open. I believe Brown box is by appointment"
and
"And you will need a current semi-automatic rifle certification"

no responses even though the have logged in everyday

theyve been a member since - Jun 13, 2016

I once had a member commit to buying a firearm from me & all conversations went well. We agreed on the price & set a date & time to meet at a local FFL. We're communicating even on my way to the FFL, and he was aware that I had actually arrived.

Then he bails on me and never actually arrives.

I realize that it's a big inconvenience for me, and some members may feel inclined to leave negative feedback for the other guy. I did not. I simply used the "ignore" option instead, and I've never heard from him since.

Besides, why would I give another NWFA member any reason to post negative feedback for me? We're all grownups here (hopefully).

It is my honest opinion that either party should be given the right to change his or her mind for any reason without the other party overreacting & posting negative feedback.

So my answer is no.
It's the right answer too

Upvote 0
I once had a member commit to buying a firearm from me & all conversations went well. We agreed on the price & set a date & time to meet at a local FFL. We're communicating even on my way to the FFL, and he was aware that I had actually arrived.

I realize that it's a big inconvenience for me, and some members may feel inclined to leave negative feedback for the other guy. I did not. I simply used the "ignore" option instead, and I've never heard from him since.

Besides, why would I give another NWFA member any reason to post negative feedback for me? We're all grownups here (hopefully).

It is my honest opinion that either party should be given the right to change his or her mind for any reason without the other party overreacting & posting negative feedback.

So my answer is no.
I live nearly 30 minutes from town, so driving all the way to Eugene and back is an hour out of my day and $10 in gas. I would appreciate knowing if someone has a habit of "no-showing" on transactions. If someone has one negative feedback for a no-show, I'd probably be willing to give them a second chance, but multiple no-shows in their feedback would be a non-starter for me. If everyone agrees with and subscribes to your "right answer", I'll never see the flakes coming.

You're probably a nicer guy than I am, but I just don't have a lot of tolerance for people that can't follow through or simply communicate on such a simple thing. I'm not saying I'm not a nice guy either.

ETA: Just to be clear, as posted earlier, my answer was also "no" in the OP's particular situation.

Upvote 0
I live nearly 30 minutes from town, so driving all the way to Eugene and back is an hour out of my day and $10 in gas. I would appreciate knowing if someone has a habit of "no-showing" on transactions. If someone has one negative feedback for a no-show, I'd probably be willing to give them a second chance, but multiple no-shows in their feedback would be a non-starter for me. If everyone agrees with and subscribes to your "right answer", I'll never see the flakes coming.

You're probably a nicer guy than I am, but I just don't have a lot of tolerance for people that can't follow through or simply communicate on such a simple thing. I'm not saying I'm not a nice guy either.

ETA: Just to be clear, as posted earlier, my answer was also "no" in the OP's particular situation.
That's completely understandable, and I don't disagree with you at all. I look at it this way…..if I'm dealing with a member who's been on the forum for quite awhile, and he's got nothing but positive feedback to date, is it really reason enough for me to be the only one posting negative feedback? Could be he just had a bad day, or got in an argument with his wife on the way out the door lol

Upvote 0

So my answer is no.
That is the right answer for you.
For me?
If he didn't have the simple courtesy to let me know he'd changed his mind after I've gone to the trouble of packing everything up and bringing it to the transfer point, I'd bust him for it and explain why in the feedback. If that causes him to put negative feedback on me, I can make my case to the mods. Of course I will wait a bit before busting him because emergencies can happen, so I would give him time to explain, But.. If I don't hear back AND I see this guy posting away on this forum then I will assume he's not laying in a hospital bed or sitting beside a family member in a hospital bed and I call him on it with the negative feedback.

That said. I have never been stiffed by anyone on this board.

Upvote 0
The odds of getting a 0/0/0 to work out in a perfect sale is IMO about 1 in 5. They happen, just not often. Honestly I think you spooked him with the "current semi-automatic rifle certification" comment and he either didn't have one, or was hoping for an off-paper deal. If you didn't leave your house, and weren't physically ghosted, it's not much different than meeting him at the store and there's something he doesn't like. Thanks but no thanks is ok. Dropping coms is rude but he didn't cost you anything but hope. Get over it. No bad feedback.

Upvote 0
The guy doesn't rate a neg, yet. The amount of rudeness nor inconvenience to you hasn't risen to that level. Yet.

When you're selling stuff privately, you have to expect just about anything. Don't assume that because you're here on NWFA that kindred souls have all got it together and are aboveboard. And plans change. I've had people bail the day of a deal because they had a family change of schedule. It just happens. I've learned to be a bit patient with people in order to close a sale.

In my experience of privately selling merchandise, the nature of the goods has a lot to do with customer behavior and response. Meaning, if you are selling popular consumer goods such as small appliances and tools, you are a lot less apt to experience shifty customer behavior. Because you've got it and people need it. However, guns and guitars on the other hand, those are largely optional items that people can live without.

Another thing is about when the crickets get going. It's a human nature thing that people just don't like to call with bad news. Most find it somewhat embarrassing to do. They'd rather ghost you than summon up the nads to admit they'd had a change of mind and want to back out.

Oh, one other thing. "Definitely interested" is almost a red flag for me. People over-grade the word "definitely." Maybe they really meant "moderately." "I'll definitely take it" are words I'd rather hear. And experience the follow-through.

Upvote 0
It's more common than you might guess to have people tire kicking when they are looking at items here. I've had many people say they want something, then ghost me. People have asked me to hold something until they can sell other items to get the funds or I have to ask the wife or ask for a lower price after already committing to buy or try to offer a trade after the fact. To me, that's all par for the course. People do that and although it's not how I would handle things, that's what they do. I can't fault someone for any of that, nor will I leave negative feedback for these reasons.

I would only leave negative feedback if someone didn't show to an agreed meet time, items were grossly different than stated in ad or the price changed at the meet. I've had none of these things happen so far here. We have a great group of like minded people that take pride in follow through and a general courtesy for the other party involved in the deal.

The ignore feature has only been used once by me here. It was recent, a newer member, a seller and someone that was being lame. Mind you this is after I committed to buy his items. I'm pretty easy going, but no time for knuckleheads that are rude.

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top