JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a preban mak90 i picked up many moons ago. The stock always would come loose. Recently it just wouldn't tighten any longer. I realized the threading in the wood was just nonexistent anymore. I removed the screws and stock planning to use some liquid nails and put the screws back in. Of course I managed to lose one and haven't bothered replacing it.

Long story short. Barrel to end of the receiver(not counting the tange) is 25 inches, but barrel to tange is over 26 inches. Curious if this is considered the overall length or not. I don't want to get eff'd over an inch.

Haven't really worried about it until today when I took it out to the woods to shoot and started thinking about the legalities.

Considering a folding stock but property taxes are my current financial focus. Just gonna try and get a replacement screw this week. So I guess in the end the answer is just for a piece of mind.
This is for Oregon

Thanks!

I have a preban mak90 i picked up many moons ago. The stock always would come loose. Recently it just wouldn't tighten any longer. I realized the threading in the wood was just nonexistent anymore. I removed the screws and stock planning to use some liquid nails and put the screws back in. Of course I managed to lose one and haven't bothered replacing it.

Long story short. Barrel to end of the receiver(not counting the tange) is 25 inches, but barrel to tange is over 26 inches. Curious if this is considered the overall length or not. I don't want to get eff'd over an inch.

Haven't really worried about it until today when I took it out to the woods to shoot and started thinking about the legalities.

Considering a folding stock but property taxes are my current financial focus. Just gonna try and get a replacement screw this week. So I guess in the end the answer is just for a piece of mind.
This is for Oregon

Thanks!
Honestly, it would depend on what the mood is of whatever "AFT" agent that's measuring it, and (of course) which way the wind is blowing, considering the "AFT" apparently has been making sheite up on the fly back and forth for years.

Having said that, the odds of you ever seeing an "AFT" agent are slim to none unless you're involved in a major crime using a firearm.

Last Edited:
Honestly, it would depend on what the mood is of whatever "AFT" agent that's measuring it, and (or course) which way the wind is blowing, considering the "AFT" apparently has been making sheite up on the fly back and forth for years.

Having said that, the odds of you ever seeing an "AFT" agent are slim to none unless you're involved in a major crime using a firearm.
True. My chances of running into someone while shooting who cares isn't much of a worry.
I forgot to add that I was hesitant to post photos or a video of us shooting it today, hah

The Chinese wood used for the stocks was really soft. You could use a nutsert anchors on the stock and switch to a machine thread screw, if you want a repair to work really well. As for overall length, I would assume the overall length includes the tang, but I wouldn't count on that for sure. If you have someone on your property measuring your gun, you may have bigger issues.

It's still a rifle even with the stock removed. It's not like you hacked away at the barrel length or anything. You aren't "making" it into anything class 3 by shooting it without a stock.

Like what @Stomper said… up to the agent and as far as fixing it… depends on what your preference is for it. If you like the wooden stock and are a purist person then take a golf tee and put it with liquid nails into the stock. Let it dry and then install wood screws. I personally would never remove the tang so avoid that is my suggestion. https://www.cncwarrior.com/Firearm-Parts-s/1477.htm. Has good parts to change the functioning of fixed wooden stock/ think Glock aftermarket or AR aftermarket parts.

If the "tang" is permanently attached to the rifle action - usually by rivets - then yes, it counts towards the OAL.

Take for instance this Norinco 86S:

H20388-L241464880_original.jpg
Absolutely no wood or stock on that rifle. The rear end of the action is the end of the rifle, regardless of what it is. From muzzle (not including the fish mouth muzzle device) to butt, it is approximately 26.25" with a 17.2" barrel.

However , if you are measuring the rifle with a removable muzzle device still attached, remove the muzzle device and measure again.

Thread it, put one on just make sure it is US made to count as one of your 6 parts.

Check out CNC Warrior/Bonesteel Folding Stocks, no need to remove the tang...
https://www.cncwarrior.com/RH-MAK90-Sidefolding-Tubular-Stock-p/26060.htm
https://www.cncwarrior.com/MAK-90-Sidefolder-Integral-Stock-p/26120.htm
Got it threaded a few years ago for a blank adapter to play bad guys for training.
Thanks for the link, was looking at those last night. When I have some extra cash.

God forbid the ATF realize a KelTec CMR30 is under 26" with the stock collapsed in!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top