JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I was curious how much the government knows about mine and yours gun ownership. For instance, do they have the ability to know my legally purchased gun inventory, such as the make, model, ser. #'s , my name, address and just about everything I put on the purchase papers.
So in short, are legally purchased guns already registered? So if the govt chooses to confiscate, tax or limit our guns, would they be able to know I am lying when I say , no guns in this household?
It's my understanding that in the United Kingdom gun confiscation started with registration. Have we reached that point or are we just a small step from that type of registration?

Thanks in advance for some education.....

Before we go too far down this road, it's important to point out that "the government" is a very nebulous term, and is by no means monolithic. There are many organizations at varying levels (federal, state, county, local, etc.) that seldom communicate well with each other. If we want to get anything useful out of this thread, I'd recommend using specific organizations in our discussion (.e.g. ATF, County Sheriff's office, National Endowment for the Arts, etc.)

My understanding is that the Feds do not have that information and the State of Oregon can only keep the background check information for 5 years.

There are many tangents this thread can go off.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is:

If the Government want to find your gun, can they do it?

The answer is yes.

The 4473s are retained until the FFL goes out of business. Then they are sent in to the ATF for storage.

The Feds do not possess the info, but if they want to find your handgun, they have the ability to do so.

(This only applies to legally purchased firearms through an FFL)

OSP record keeping and NICS checks don't apply to the original question.

I got the information I needed from some good posts. I can't fiqure out how to close the thread so I will leave it too the option of the moderators, they have my approval to close it. Thanks.

As a person who works at a store that sells firearms, I know this: In order to purchase a new or used firearm from a dealer, you must fill out the BATFE form 4473. You must provide some type of photo ID such as a driver's license. Then using this form, the seller must call the Oregon State Police to do a background check. The Police have the final say about purchasing a firearm from a dealer in Oregon. They can say "Yes", "No" or "Delayed". To delay means that they are seeking more information. This can take up to 6 months or more. However, if the dealer wants to do so, he can deliver the firearm to a delayed purchaser after three days if he hasn't heard from the Police by then. But if later the Police determine that this purchaser should not have a firearm, they can come to his home and sieze it. And, he will not get a refund from the seller because the Police will NOT return the firearm to the store that sold it. Forms 4473 must be retained by the seller for twenty years. If the BATFE wants to find a certain gun, they will go to the manufacturer, who will report the distributer who will in turn report which store finally sold the gun. The BATFE will then send a letter to the store demanding a copy of form 4473 be faxed to them within 24 hours. Then they will probably visit the person who purchased the firearm from the store demanding to know what happened to it after that. SO; dealer gun purchases can be easily traced. Private party purchases will be more difficult, especially if it is done "cash and carry", no ID shown.

I have bought and sold so many guns over the years, how would they know what I have unless I confess? I'm sure with my gun purchase history, they would want to search for them, if I said I didn't own any guns. The only guns they know I have for sure are the NFA stuff I had to fill out paperwork on and send to ATF w/$200 tax. Even after waiting 6 months for ATF approval, the dealer has to have me fill out standard OR form and call for state police permission to transfer the firearm. I don't believe there is much if any communication between ATF and local police, unless a serious crime had been commited. What worries me the most is a CA type law limiting firearm type and mag capacity, retroactively. I wonder what infringed means?

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads