JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's how its supposed to work! The barrel link delays the slide long enough for the bullet to clear.

If any of you remember when 17 mach 2 came out, lot's of people were trying to convert their semi auto .22's by just swapping barrels. After quite a few went Kboom, They figured out that they needed to add weight to the bolt and a stiffer recoil spring!
The added speed and pressure put this round just outside of the timing that blow back actions are designed for. The bolt was opening before the bullet cleared the barrel. Even a couple of OEM company's had to recall rifles.

DR

whats interesting to me is how they figured this precise timing out back in 1911?

pause the vid at 8sec then play frame by frame the bullet completely exits the barrel at 10 second mark and the slide begins to move at 12 seconds...

(per video not slomo/actual time)

whats interesting to me is how they figured this precise timing out back in 1911?

No doubt! Either JMB got very lucky, or he spent a little time sorting it out. It sure seems like the bullet is long gone and there would not be enough pressure left to run the slide. Shows what I know...

No doubt! Either JMB got very lucky, or he spent a little time sorting it out. It sure seems like the bullet is long gone and there would not be enough pressure left to run the slide. Shows what I know...

I'm no scientist but heres my theory: I would think they would only need to know the velocity of the bullet to figure out some calculation... the action is called "short recoil" and it wouldn't take much in basic design to barely delay the barrel from disengaging the slide i.e.: the link in the barrel. Perhaps thats probably all they needed to know, back then only Superman was faster than a speeding bullet.....

The link drops the rear of the barrel to disengage the lug(s) from the slide and for feeding the next round.

The engagement of the barrel lug(s) and the slide keeps the slide from moving until the pressure drops, which is the bullet exiting the muzzle.

I wonder if the bullet would leave the barrel before the slide started moving if it was a straight blowback? Might not last too long.. unless it was a Hi-Point.

I wonder if the bullet would leave the barrel before the slide started moving if it was a straight blowback? Might not last too long.. unless it was a Hi-Point.

I think with a straight blowback the barrel is fixed to the frame so it wouldnt matter if the slide was moving...?

Hopefully Hi-Point stays out of the 1911 market...
21231023_1747725435257351_6325918064146680902_n-jpg.388960

lol

The slide and barrel start moving at the same time the bullet does and for the same reason. A force is being applied to it. It's just so much more massive than the bullet that it doesn't move nearly as fast and therefore doesn't move very far in the time the bullet is in the barrel. The link does not hinder the movement of the slide. It keeps the barrel and slide locked together during the amount of time it takes for the bullet to leave. The slide and barrel both move, just locked together. After the locked together barrel/slide combination has moved a short distance, then the link pulls the barrel lugs out of engagement with the slide and lets the slide move on from the momentum gained in the initial acceleration. If you believe the slide sits totally motionless during the bullet's trip down the barrel, you're not looking closely enough. If you think it waits (as opposed to moving, just much slower than the bullet) I would ask how do it know to do dat?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top