JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About two weeks back we (me, my brother, my dad, and our buddy) were at the Portland gun show and my brother wanted to get his girlfriend a taser. Know bear in mind that he is 17, so he really can't buy anything firearm wise from a vendor and to top that his girlfriend is hypersensitive about things and I think she doesn't like guns either or is at least a little weary of them. Now my buddy and I both understand that if your going to user a taser you need some range, because the whole point of it is to stop your attacker before they can do harm or further do harm to you.

So there was a booth with taser guns and some other booths with these zappers, for lack of a better description. So my brother, being the good consumer he is, walks around the gun show to see what each one has to offer. Now if this were me I would be doing what my buddy was doing, which was buying his girlfriend a .380. Although I would feel better giving my girl a .45 acp.

Now my brother settles on the idea of getting her the zapper. Which in the opinion of both me and my buddy, this little zapper might get her hurt, because it is only physically effective if her attacker is a arms length away or closer. Which in my book if there close enough that you can smell their breath, they're to close for comfort. Now of course the selling points of this zapper is that one can reuse it, it's cheap, and well it's just cheaper than the taser.

And our buddy, who has served this country in the armed forces and is currently an MP, believes that the best choice is the taser, but that the ultimate choice is up to my brother. Which is true. The taser would keep her safer and if she had to use it she could drop it and flee in her car (and drive over the stalkers legs, OOPS sorry it was dark and I couldn't see as I fled for my life) while it keeps bumping juice into the stalker. And yes it is up to my brother to make the right choice.

I tell my brother for the extra money the taser would be a far better idea and a safer tool for his girlfriend.

Now my dads and brothers argument for going with the cheaper zapper is that "If she feels like she is being followed she can just give out a quick snap and the guy will leave her alone." Yes that could work if the stalker is a wuss. Now in my opinion you might as well paint a bullseye on her back and maker where a giant red sign that says "I dislike bad guys because they are scary, violent, and could kill you. So my boyfriend got me this zapper do-hickey so that I can A)Piss you off and you can kill, B)You can run back to your car and grab a gun and shoot me as you flee, C)Get off your butt and rape me and them kill me, D)Get off your butt and beat me as I try to flee, E) A combination of all of the above. Please take your pick Mr. Bad Guy."

So my brother shells out the cash for the zapper. We all presented our beliefs and the choice was my brothers.

So he gives it to her after the gun show and she hits the button and it scares the crap out of her and here we are standing next to her unfazed by the random zap. And if we didn't jump them what make him think that it will make someone else jump?

Last Edited:
The problem is the people who know whats what. Have not taken the time and spent the energy to teach the younger guy and the young lady how the real world works.

So I suggest if this bothers you. YOU step up and see if you can help.

I really want to finish reading your post, but your grammar makes it nearly impossible.

I really wanted to finish reading your post, but your arrogance makes it completely impossible.

I agree with Mark. If you stand by and let this happen without intervention you have missed a great opportunity to help educate those in need of education.

You can cheat. Write it up in Word, then cut and paste to the thread.

I really don't get most of this town. I think they put democratic rhetoric in the water. Thank god I have a conservative water filter. Will eventually be relocating to a place where folks vote republican like I do.

yeah i agree just buy her a firearm

OMG THE GRAMMER POLICE AHHH SHTF THEIR HERE AGAIN

TO THE GRAMMER POLICE DONT READ OR COMMENT IF YOU DONT LIKE THE GRAMMER PEOPLE USE.

OMG THE POST POLICE AHHH SHTF THEIR HERE AGAIN

TO THE POST POLICE DON'T READ OR COMMENT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE POSTS PEOPLE TYPE.

No offense taken I try to learn from my mistakes before I go postal. Haha. My only comment is that I did not start this thread so that poeple can nit pick about "policing" others. If you have something to say think about it and post it as a suggestion or constructive criticism or comment. But please don't target others to pick on unless
you are light heartedly being sarcastic or just joking light heartedly.
Thank You.

I honestly believe that this young lady should be shown how to use a firearm properly before one is in her possession. If the taser scared her, I wonder what the recoil and bang of a 9mm will do? A gun in the hands of someone who is scared of it is a very dangerous thing. My wife needed some coaching. She didn't want a 9mm or .380 because they were too small(God, how I love her.). I gave her my Ruger KP345 and we have never looked back. She does not want anything smaller than a .45. Once she gained confidence in HER gun in HER hands, it made all the difference in her consistency. She is no longer scared(of the gun) and feels secure everywhere she goes. If someone is uncomfortable handling and discharging firearms after proper training, it is best for them too leave them alone. Start slow. Let her fire a .22. Don't be too pushy and don't ever make fun of a first-timers lack of accuracy or technique. We need to ease them to our side, not scare them away. Your brother and his girlfriend sound very young. The most important thing is to BE SAFE!!! Kip.

No offense taken I try to learn from my mistakes before I go postal. Haha. My only comment is that I did not start this thread so that poeple can nit pick about "policing" others. If you have something to say think about it and post it as a suggestion or constructive criticism or comment. But please don't target others to pick on unless
you are light heartedly being sarcastic or just joking light heartedly.
Thank You.

Agreed :)

So back to the matter at hand. I would encourage you step in and do some serious education. Your heart and head are in the right place so you can't go wrong.

Wow, I completely agree kip. When my dad would take us out to target practice it was geared more towards fun and safety at first too. Man did I shoot up a bunch of .22 rounds through my dads 10/22. What fun that was.

Awmish, do you or any of your friends get the Outdoor Channel? If so sit your liberal friends down and have them watch a few shows of "Best Defense". Send them emails of excerpts from "The Armed Citizen" piece that appears in the NRA publications every month, or just visit this web site Home*|*The Armed Citizen

Maybe they will get it, maybe they wont; but you will have made an effort to enlighten them.

You could always tell them to take the zppers and go live on the streets for a weekend and if they survive you will teach them how to shoot a gun. sound mean but they need to be edumacated on life. I work with a few men and women who grown in 40's or 50' who think the same way as the people mentioned, I have told them when we travel together don't expect me to risk myself for you because i know your worthless arses would not help me and you do not believe in in the things I have been trained to do, so I will not use my training to help you. best a luck to ya

my advise amish is first off...who cares if a guy has a little trouble spelling,if someone gets hung up on something like that his feedback will probably be tainted as well.there are people from all walks of life and if you're not good at one thing you're probably very good at another.

now about the family,you sound like me,a little agressive getting your point across to family members that are on the left(wrong wing) side.
this will make them discount what you have to say,be calm and relax about helping them come around but show them facts about why they need to rethink our future and maybe they will listen to your advise rather than chalk it up to agressive big brother pushing his thoughts on us.
if they are 17 they really don't need to be packing handguns right now anyhow but get them out shooting,they will like us eventually see guns are a tool and a lot of fun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top