JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty hard to transfer w/o putting in a serial # on the paperwork. When I sent an AR15 with an 80% lower to my daughter's FFL in Arkansas, I had to serialize it in accordance with Federal rules. That required me to make up some numbers (used my initials, date of her birthday, and her initials). FWIW YMMV

Pretty hard to transfer w/o putting in a serial # on the paperwork. When I sent an AR15 with an 80% lower to my daughter's FFL in Arkansas, I had to serialize it in accordance with Federal rules. That required me to make up some numbers (used my initials, date of her birthday, and her initials). FWIW YMMV
I think the rule is they can't be manufactured for sale without a license and as said by goosebrown, they have to be legal. BBBASS.....I suspect the requirement to apply a serial number was out of the mind of the FFL. I have several guns made after 1898 factory built without serial numbers, the FFL simply notes that there is no SN on the gun. One is a Winchester 22 single shot bought new by my grandfather in 1930 or so.

Last Edited:
I think the rule is they can't be manufactured for sale without a license and as said by goosebrown, they have to be legal.
My understanding of federal law is you can sell/transfer it but you aren't suppose to build it with the intention to sell it. I wasn't sure about the serial number routine though.

My understanding of federal law is you can sell/transfer it but you aren't suppose to build it with the intention to sell it. I wasn't sure about the serial number routine though.

Correct.

Hey, if you can find an FFL willing to do the transfer that way, then you are in luck. Otherwise, keep searching. :):):)

In my mind, there is no harm in serializing a lower.. for me, I really don't care about it. But for those that wish to keep it a ghost gun, different story.

Last Edited:
I think the rule is they can't be manufactured for sale without a license and as said by goosebrown, they have to be legal. BBBASS.....I suspect the requirement to apply a serial number was out of the mind of the FFL. I have several guns made after 1898 factory built without serial numbers, the FFL simply notes that there is no SN on the gun. One is a Winchester 22 single shot bought new by my grandfather in 1930 or so.

Yah well... interstate transfer and shipping becomes a sensitive matter for some. I did not wish to cause my daughter any problems. The whole thing almost blew up when that FFL called to ATF because his reaction to receiving the firearm was "WTF, it can't be legal to transfer an 80% lower!!!" . Fortunately, the ATF guy had enough sense to correct that fool. It could have gone another way if the ATF guy was a fool too. BTW, her FFL had the guts to criticize my build. I think I would have called him a few names but I wanted the transaction to go thru for my daughter.

Last Edited:
Yah well... interstate transfer and shipping becomes a sensitive matter for some. I did not with to cause my daughter any problems. The whole thing almost blew up when that FFL called to ATF because his reaction to receiving the firearm was "WTF, it can't be legal to transfer an 80% lower!!!" . Fortunately, the ATF guy had enough sense to correct that fool. It could have gone another way if the ATF guy was a fool too. BTW, her FFL had the guts to criticize my build. I think I would have called him a few names but I wanted the transaction to go thru for my daughter.
I am glad it worked out for you and daughter. If I ever build a non-serialized firearm I will probably plan on keeping it and letting my heirs deal with it.

FFL's often get ideas from off comments by inspector's that are not nessisary correct. The guy I commonly use here was worried about a rifle I bought from a guy here in the forum because he didn't have all his information after being shipped in. The inspector had asked where some information was on some prior transfers and he thought that meant it was required. I called the ATF for him to confirm to him it was OK to use incomplete information when it was not available. The emphasis is on where the gun is going more than where it has been.......with the exception of a stolen firearm.

upon my research on building a 1911, the police in oregon automatically assumes that a firearm without a serial is considered "obliterated". Meaning a felony. Make one up even if its 12345. I did my wedding date and initials. Its stupid but not worth the hassle of dealing with felony charges.

Last Edited:
No.

Not yet.

Give it time.

There are federal laws - but they are pretty lax - for now.

ATF Releases FAQ on "80-Percent" Receivers -

As others have said, transfers thru ignorant FFLs can be problematic though.

It may be worth it to put a serial # on any home made firearm anyway just in case it gets stolen. I intend to put something like μολὼν λαβέ #1 on my 80% firearms. It doesn't matter much what it is as it can't be traced back to me unless I transfer it thru an FFL, and in that case it is somebody else's problem then. If it gets stolen then I have something to give to the police in case it turns up somewhere or in a crime.

i have a couple OLD 22s with im assuming the original owners SSN engraved under the receiver and one under the barrel. 2 different SSN and no serial numbers

Don't worry, the Democrats will fix that loophole in 2019!

Gun storage bill at bullseye of firearm safety proposals

Other gun law changes legislators may consider in the next session:

Ghost guns/3D printed guns — Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum wants to regulate "ghost guns" made from kits or through 3D printing. Such guns can be manufactured without a serial number and are untraceable.
Isnt that already out there and being voted on???

You may be thinking of HR7115 the 3D printed gun bill which will be introduced in the US House in 2019. That will fail in the Senate. In Oregon Democrats control both houses so they can pass whatever uninformed crazy BS they want.

My biggest fear is a ban on:
Handguns in public buildings — Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, proposes narrowing exemptions in the law that allows people to take concealed handguns into public buildings. "A number of public entities would like to have the option to keep anyone with a gun off the grounds," Burdick said. Those include schools, universities and the Port of Portland, she said.

You may be thinking of HR7115 the 3D printed gun bill which will be introduced in the US House in 2019. That will fail in the Senate. In Oregon Democrats control both houses so they can pass whatever uninformed crazy BS they want.

My biggest fear is a ban on:
Handguns in public buildings — Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, proposes narrowing exemptions in the law that allows people to take concealed handguns into public buildings. "A number of public entities would like to have the option to keep anyone with a gun off the grounds," Burdick said. Those include schools, universities and the Port of Portland, she said.

Yeah, because vetted CHL holders go around shooting up all kinds of places..... the stupid frakin' cow. :rolleyes:

Besides, unless they have full metal detectors how are they gonna stop ANYONE (CHL or not) from doing what they want anyway? o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top