JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Isn't the proper definition of an arsenal a place where you manufacture weapons? (of course its meaning has very likely been bastardized by our enlightened media).

Depends on what dictionary you read.

arsenal - definition of arsenal by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

ar·se·nal (ärs-nl)
n.
1. A governmental establishment for the storing, development, manufacturing, testing, or repairing of arms, ammunition, and other war materiel.
2. A stock of weapons.
3. A store or supply: an arsenal of retorts.

Depends on what dictionary you read.

arsenal - definition of arsenal by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

ar·se·nal (ärs-nl)
n.
1. A governmental establishment for the storing, development, manufacturing, testing, or repairing of arms, ammunition, and other war materiel.
2. A stock of weapons.
3. A store or supply: an arsenal of retorts.

Research the word "arsenal" and you will find that the real meaning is "place where weapons are made". Same will say that's the original meaning. Place where they are stored is called an armory.
Today, most of the dictionaries are nothing more than reflections of linguistic misuse.

I'll never forget the headline:

"MOTORCYCLIST INJURED IN CRASH WITH TRUCK!"

In reality, it was my 15 year old buddy riding his moped, and he ran into a HAND truck being pushed by a Pepsi delivery guy. His INJURY was a sprained wrist.

13-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

11-5.4 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be stored in residences.

NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, © 2001, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy , MA 02269 .

It says nothing about Ammunition. But this is what your Insurance company will hit you with after the fire. Their comment will be something like "Uh...were not paying for that cause you exceeded NFPA495-85".

And arsenal is a location where large amounts of weapons are stored. Media is >2 weapons = arsenal, every other sane person would think of an arsenal as 10 or more weapons.

Hmmm. I don't know many hunters that have less than 10 guns, and I don't think this is an arsenal. Am I insane?

Let's assume a guy has a nice 12ga shotgun for duck hunting, and a backup pump shotgun as a loaner. He probably also has a 20ga for upland or an over-under for skeet. He might have a scoped .300wm for deer / elk hunting, and a 30-30 levergun for brush hunting. Maybe an AR or a .243 for varmints, and a basic 22lr to teach his kids to shoot. Then there are the basic handguns every outdoorsman needs: a stainless .357 for woods carry, a .44mag or a Cassul for Alaska trips, a .22 auto to teach his kids to shoot and for plinking, and a pocket / truck CCW gun for day to day use. That's over 10 without buying youth hunting rifles and shotguns for the kids and wife.

I am single and don't have all of the guns listed, but I could easily justify them all without questioning my sanity.

Hmmm. I don't know many hunters that have less than 10 guns, and I don't think this is an arsenal. Am I insane?

I would say no. The media would probably consider that an arsenal. If you had an AR mixed in, the phrase would be arsenal including military-grade assault weapons. It also depends on the location. Showing pictures of a bunch of 22 rifles and revolvers while spinning such tales doesn't work in some areas. In NYC, owning 2 bb guns might constitute an arsenal.

I think at the very least you should be liable if a fire fighter is injured because didn't know. then provide people with a way to formal inform their local fire department if they have large ammo stock piles.

don't force people but make it easy to do the smart thing and keep it local

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top