JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How is anybody going to know who popped it if you use a quiet load and keep your mouth shut?

" Tell the authorities that you were protesting. "
Don't tell them anything.

With "Karen" and "Darrel" eyes and ears everywhere you go in the city of potland, I wouldn't be taking a chance.

There's a huge difference in a persons, such as myself, psyche when living in a city such as this, compared to living in a smaller rural community. I would say it's a "Soft" form of PTSD. We're paranoid that we may get tangled up with those that support the changes, and direction, that have been taking place in this city over the last ten years or so. It's hard for me to explain.

With "Karen" and "Darrel" eyes and ears everywhere you go in the city of potland, I wouldn't be taking a chance.

There's a huge difference in a persons, such as myself, psyche when living in a city such as this, compared to living in a smaller rural community. I would say it's a "Soft" form of PTSD. We're paranoid that we may get tangled up with those that support the changes, and direction, that have been taking place in this city over the last ten years or so. It's hard for me to explain.

That feeling is why many of us choose not to live in the metro area. I realize employment and housing factor in, but I deliberately live in a small town. I grew up in one, tried Portland and Eugene/Springfield, prefer much smaller.

That feeling is why many of us choose not to live in the metro area. I realize employment and housing factor in, but I deliberately live in a small town. I grew up in one, tried Portland and Eugene/Springfield, prefer much smaller.

I grew up semi rural, 12 miles south of Salt Lake City. Came here when I was 27. Loved what portland was back then. People were nicer, weather was better and 15 -20 minutes you could be pretty much out of town. Loved the party life of the city.

I don't understand why leaders want to completely destroy a city like that.

I live where everybody has a least 5 acres so shooting isn't a problem. The neighbor would allow raccoons to get into his trash and I had them hanging around and making a mess around my pond. They would push rocks in and dirty up the water and chew up anything they could find. I tried shooting them with my .177 pellet gun, they would just take off but then they would be back the next day. I think the pellets penetrated their hide but that's about it. So I started using .22 CB Caps and I found with the right placement I could drop them on the spot if they were close enough. But mostly I would just use my target .22 (CZ 455) and that worked great. Only problem was disposing of the bodies. I would drive them up into national forest land and dump them. My brother suggested to just lay them out on the road with all the other stuff that gets run over. He thinks he's pretty funny.

1) "Don't take an offhanded attempt at humor IN A TRASH PANDA THREAD as within City Limits discharge counsel"

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I wouldn't dream of giving legal advice or encouraging illegal discharge of projectiles.
"Don't tell them anything." is generic advice for dealing with "the authorities" in general. Talking to the cops can't do you any good, but it sure can screw up your life. A search under "don't talk to the police" produces multitudinous reasons not to.
"The longer you speak to police officers, the more likely it is that you will confess to some crime that you did not commit—isn't that enough of a reason to avoid speaking to them? Don't talk to the police—except to tell them, respectfully, that you will not answer any questions and that you would like a lawyer." Reference: Innocent? Don't talk to the police. - Los Angeles Times
The Miranda caveats make it quite plain that anything and everything you say can and will be used against you in court, and factual innocence is irrelevant. Speaking to the cops if you are innocent is creating evidence against yourself. You lying to them is illegal. Them lying to you is encouraged.

2) "My brother suggested to just lay them out on the road with all the other stuff that gets run over. He thinks he's pretty funny."
Maybe he isn't kidding. We had a doe break her neck in the fence at the back of our palatial estate (in the middle of the day while we were working in the yard), sticking us with a big lump of fresh carrion. TPTB told us to pay for removal. Not happening, so we managed to get the carrion lump into a wheelbarrow (no mean feat in itself) and come dark moved it to the roadside by the stop sign. When I went out to get the paper it had magically disappeared. Seems like it would work equally well with trash pandas, 'coons, etc. Nobody is doing autopsies on road kill.

Last Edited:
My undergrad is in Environmental Science / Wildlife Conservation, and for my final project I had to conduct either reasearch or habitat restoration of my own design. I talked two Science buddies into joining my study on Raccoons. We chose to try and identify what features on the urban landscape are the highest predictors for raccoon presence.

We set up 3 game cameras for 33 days (99 total nights) over Jan/Feb. In randomized locations around UW campus. Baited with dog food. Set at dusk and retrieved at dawn the next morning. Next day, new locations with new measurements:

Measured distance to closest building, garbage can, water source.

Measured upper canopy cover percentage (aka trees), and lower canopy cover percentage (bushes), and percent impervious surface, all within a 15 meter radius.

Did a bunch of statistics including presence or absence contingent on all of the above factors, and surprisingly, presence/close proximity of buildings was out #1 predictor of raccoon presence. Higher than garbage cans. I think it was at the 80% confidence interval. It was almost like they target the building when going place to place, not necessarilly features around the building.

And while I have never shot a raccoon, I can definitely second what alot of folks on here have said about their demenors. Our cameras were set to raccoon height, and we got some really good photos. The camera flash usually just showed "checked out" critters eating dog food, but every so often you could literally see the anger in their eyes when they were caught off guard.

Best photo was of some kids smoking weed in the middle of thick brush. Sheer panic on stoned faces followed by running! Haha

Last Edited:
Trap and transport is my main goal but if thats not working or another opertunity arises ill take it
you say trap and transport, here in oregon that is not legal to move wildlife. Buy a hunting liscense, or general furbearer liscense if your state has one. Trap, give it a really long bath with some dawn dish soap, send it out to the landfill triple bagged if you have to. no shooting needed.

Did a bunch of statistics including presence or absence contingent on all of the above factors, and surprisingly, presence/close proximity of buildings was out #1 predictor of raccoon presence.
BUT - did your research extend to reveal exactly why the close proximity of buildings was #1 as predictor of raccoon presence?

Well - If not I'll save you some time. I predict probably because there is an excessive # of people who live in 'close proximity of buildings' who think 'coons are cute and feed them. Ever been around a 'close proximity of buildings' outside at night and had them creep up and circle around you ? standing up? - Its kind of creepy in a way.

Nasty creatures. Nothing more than vermin with little to offer environmentally.

Poison them, kind of mean but if you are willing to shoot them.... :s0092:
I had to off a bunch of rats, my tree huggin neighbor threatened to call the police on me... oh well did it anyway...

BUT - did your research extend to reveal exactly why the close proximity of buildings was #1 as predictor of raccoon presence?

Well - If not I'll save you some time. I predict probably because there is an excessive # of people who live in 'close proximity of buildings' who think 'coons are cute and feed them. Ever been around a 'close proximity of buildings' outside at night and had them creep up and circle around you ? standing up? - Its kind of creepy in a way.

Nasty creatures. Nothing more than vermin with little to offer environmentally.
Agree. Also unintentional feeding via cat food, garbage, etc.

We had a little dorm sized fridge on the back porch. One morning I found the fridge open and the jar of peanut butter i had in there for traps was lying open in the middle of the yard. The label was all scraped up with claw marks. Turns out a raccoon opened the fridge, took out the peanut butter, unscrewed the top, and ate about half the jar. Smart little buggers.

I live where everybody has a least 5 acres so shooting isn't a problem. The neighbor would allow raccoons to get into his trash and I had them hanging around and making a mess around my pond. They would push rocks in and dirty up the water and chew up anything they could find. I tried shooting them with my .177 pellet gun, they would just take off but then they would be back the next day. I think the pellets penetrated their hide but that's about it. So I started using .22 CB Caps and I found with the right placement I could drop them on the spot if they were close enough. But mostly I would just use my target .22 (CZ 455) and that worked great. Only problem was disposing of the bodies. I would drive them up into national forest land and dump them. My brother suggested to just lay them out on the road with all the other stuff that gets run over. He thinks he's pretty funny.
Whenever I shot a raccoon, possum, or skunk that was after my ducks, I just used a pitchfork to move the carcass a bit further from the house to a spot unused by the ducks so it wouldn't upset them or attract scavengers to ducks night pen area. Buzzards gotta eat too. And buzzards are very fond of skunk carcasses. One of the few things that eats them.

I'm surprised the Japanese have fallen the way America has in the way they raise their kids. You know? "NO you can't have a pet racoon! It's just a cute fictitious story in a book. Racoons are wild animals and aren't very good pets. We'll get you a domestic cat." Instead, the kids gets whatever they want because we wouldn't want to hurt their widdle feewings.

It's just a cute fictitious story in a book.
I was unaware of this so I 'skimmed' the article. No surprise about the Disney movie it mentioned as well.

This however was my favorite part..

But, as Grundhauser writes, "If only they had finished the series first."

You see, at the end of Sterling North's book, he has to send Rascal back into nature to live as he was meant to live—not as a companion to humans, but as a wild animal.

I was unaware of this so I 'skimmed' the article. No surprise about the Disney movie it mentioned as well.

This however was my favorite part..

But, as Grundhauser writes, "If only they had finished the series first."

You see, at the end of Sterling North's book, he has to send Rascal back into nature to live as he was meant to live—not as a companion to humans, but as a wild animal.
I assumed the story and racoon problem was a current thing. I didn't read the article enough. I'm surprise the Japanese parents were so indulgent to their kids back in '77. o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top