JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope he is a long way away from any neighbors! That's way worse than the sickos that feed squirrels here in the city.!

I used to have a neighbor with a cat door for his garage. He had nine bowls of cat food out for the local ferals living under another neighbor's shed and woodpile. There was a constant procession of them going across the street in front of my house.Those ferals sometimes used my landscape areas for crapping and my Bichon rolled in it like it was the best perfume ever.

So I bought a Hatsan .22 cal and thinned out the herd every once in awhile. I don't know if it would work on raccoons but it sure does a job on feral felines. I also trapped them. Damned hard to make a quick kill with a .22lr rifle... surprisingly so. Oh they'd die, but not quickly. A 12ga is best. I'd assume that's true for trapped coons too.

For the record, straight from the appropriate state agency, relocating ANY wild animal is not permitted.

Somehow a "Brush Rabbit" ended up living in my back yard. He managed to move enough dirt from under the edge of one of those small sheds with a wood floor and frame. I've never seen an animal that could get moving as fast as that little bunny. It was literally nothing more than a "Flash' of something you weren't even sure you'd seen. I called the appropriate agency where the guy told me in a VERY serous tone about the law. I had my new sprouts of beans and cucumbers just about 2" high at the time so I trapped the little guy in my racoon capable trap and took him out to one of the industrial parks between airport Way and Marine Drive, where there was ample brush.
I just hope this isn't one of those times where the "Authorities" read the "Webs" and come knockin' on my door for the heinous crime of taking a native brush rabbit back to his brush!

I used to have a neighbor with a cat door for his garage. He had nine bowls of cat food out for the local ferals living under another neighbor's shed and woodpile. There was a constant procession of them going across the street in front of my house.Those ferals sometimes used my landscape areas for crapping and my Bichon rolled in it like it was the best perfume ever.

So I bought a Hatsan .22 cal and thinned out the herd every once in awhile. I don't know if it would work on raccoons but it sure does a job on feral felines. I also trapped them. Damned hard to make a quick kill with a .22lr rifle... surprisingly so. Oh they'd die, but not quickly. A 12ga is best. I'd assume that's true for trapped coons too.

"Animal Lovers" can can be some pretty creepy people sometimes. I'm pretty lucky I guess, because there aren't THAT many irresponsible pet owners near me. Maybe, four cat's that haunt my yard. Wifey won't let me give 'em a "One Pump" shot, so I'm stuck with banging on the window. Or, blasting out of the door shrieking and blubbering and hoping they run in front of a car on their way back across the street. Or get scared enough to stay out from around my bird feeders. I do have crows and scrub jays that I feed and they harass the cats pretty good. That helps I think.

"Animal Lovers" can can be some pretty creepy people sometimes.
I have a 'family member' who falls into this category.

He believes ALL animals have a right to live, regardless of circumstances, and no form of animal control, hunting etc. should be allowed.

He is also fanatically liberal beyond rational comprehension.

I have a 'family member' who falls into this category.

He believes ALL animals have a right to live, regardless of circumstances, and no form of animal control, hunting etc. should be allowed.

He is also fanatically liberal beyond rational comprehension.

I feel terrible for animals that are in pain. With that said, put 'em out of their misery to stop suffering. And put 'em out humanely to feed me. Dumb animals are beautiful, amazing, and delicious.. We were kind of binge watching Dr Pol yesterday. Gawd I love that show.

He once criticized me when I mentioned I have shot sage rats in Oregon.

Citing some weird hippyesque 'right to life' idea and if they take over farm/range land etc. then the market animals should be moved or run off.

Citing some weird hippyesque 'right to life' idea and if they take over farm/range land etc. then the market animals should be moved or run off.

That kind of mind is always full of "shoulds, and shouldn'ts" that apply to everyone else but not themselves. The middle brother in the/my family is not a logical thinker, so I just don't have those kind of discussions with him... had to cut off his Facebook friendship because I was attacking/rebutting him constantly and it was making me crazy. I have another brother, the oldest, that is not a lib, but is so judgemental and other things that I cut him completely out of my life. I tried for years but just couldn't make the relationship non-abusive. Nice family. :(

Last Edited:
Yep... a drastic step I know. But his FB is dead to me now!! (rips sleeve) ;)

I have an estranged brother too. Probably my fault we never got along. But I also think he's a stuck-up dick. See, out of the two sons my parents had, I was the bad son.

I have an estranged brother too. Probably my fault we never got along. But I also think he's a stuck-up dick. See, out of the two sons my parents had, I was was the bad son.

Yeah I know better!!! ;):D

I was the already sickly child that got damaged/injured at 7yrs old and in my Dad's eyes would never would be capable of doing anything or thinking like an adult. (That part's probably true... )

Note: tho I had to cut the middle bro off FB, and he is the one that took advantage of lil brother/me the most, (I could tell you stories... for instance, he got me started on drugs and damn near killed me with huffing Freon... he and his stoned buds thought it was hilarious) it is the oldest bro that is estranged. My choice.

In my case, the oldest brother grew up just like Dad. And Dad was an overbearing, dominating, opinionated, distrustful, azzhat littleman/runt whose only redeeming qualities were good family income and willingness to spend money on food, education, clothing, etc. He was constantly full of criticism, and most always a disbelief that anybody knew how to do anything but himself. He raised his oldest son to be just like him, but also to be a shallow gigolo. Had a strong bias against females that probably came from being an abused child. I pitied him when I grew up, the oldest hated him. And now I hate the oldest. :(

67504719_379497839436203_5200385056702464_n.png

Yeah I know better!!! ;):D

I was the already sickly child that got damaged/injured at 7yrs old and in my Dad's eyes would never would be capable of doing anything or thinking like an adult. (That part's probably true... )

Note: tho I had to cut the middle bro off FB, and he is the one that took advantage of lil brother/me the most, (I could tell you stories... for instance, he got me started on drugs and damn near killed me with huffing Freon... he and his stoned buds thought it was hilarious) it is the oldest bro that is estranged. My choice.

In my case, the oldest brother grew up just like Dad. And Dad was an overbearing, dominating, opinionated, distrustful, azzhat littleman/runt whose only redeeming qualities were good family income and willingness to spend money on food, education, clothing, etc. He was constantly full of criticism, and most always a disbelief that anybody knew how to do anything but himself. He raised his oldest son to be just like him, but also to be a shallow gigolo. Had a strong bias against females that probably came from being an abused child. I pitied him when I grew up, the oldest hated him. And now I hate the oldest. :(

I've come to the opinion that lot of families suck. To what degree is the question. All I can do is refuse to use the fact as an excuse for crappy behavior

Just what the heck is this thread about anyway?

You may not like dogs but keeping one on your property is a real good way to discourage raccoons from stopping by. Dogs hate raccoons and vice versa.

My husky/german/malamute/mutt is the sweetest girl, but rips toy coons to shreds. She's even nice to cats. But has successfully hunted moles and bunnies here in Beaverton and almost got a duck once...if she didn't stink so bad from the local swamp water I'd let her try more often.

We haven't run across a coon where we are at...but if anyone is near me, I'd love to let her try her hand at hunting one. She'd probably have a blast.

I've come to the opinion that lot of families suck. To what degree is the question. All I can do is refuse to use the fact as an excuse for crappy behavior

My extended family has been through a lot this year, with the loss of my dad, and made me realize that things don't necessarily stand where I though they did. I have an older sister who is going through a very tough time, and has been bringing up all the hurts from our childhood. Still, when I look around I realize than a lot of people had it worse, way worse.

My takeaway is a resolve to do the very best I can with my kids. I want them to grow up to become honest, productive adults, with fond memories of their childhoods. I'm not naive enough to think that they'll be perfect, but we're doing our best.

We haven't run across a coon where we are at...but if anyone is near me, I'd love to let her try her hand at hunting one. She'd probably have a blast.
She probably would. The collie we had when I was young absolutely lived for fighting raccoons. And skunks, and porcupines, unfortunately. :) She never seemed to learn her lesson on those. The instinct to fight must have been too overwhelming.

As has been said many times, raccoons are incredibly tough, a definite challenge for a big dog, and they can kill a small dog.

Funny how animals have a "right to life" for the libs but any term abortion is just fine.

My takeaway is a resolve to do the very best I can with my kids. I want them to grow up to become honest, productive adults, with fond memories of their childhoods. I'm not naive enough to think that they'll be perfect, but we're doing our best.

Your a good man, I can tell. Odd, or not... We don't really realize what sucked about our childhoods. A lot of subtle things I think about now that could have been better in our household. Having parents that grew up in families without a lot of affection. Parents that grew up dirt poor and had a work ethic that put the children in second place to the desire to earn everything they could. Their hard work for close to 50 years is paying now though, but things that my peers grew up with were lacking for me.

Man, you can't dwell on the past. I prefer to believe that anything I lack is due to my own "Self".

Man, you can't dwell on the past. I prefer to believe that anything I lack is due to my own "Self".

One shouldn't dwell on the past but should use it to inform future decisions. One of the best decisions I ever made was to go my separate way from my immediate family. Family are the people that will have your back, anytime, anywhere, and who love you for you, flaws and all. That often includes people not related by blood. Actions make family - you don't get a pass simply by sharing some DNA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top